Please review my battery pack so I don't make a šŸ”„

Any cons of putting foam here?

IMG_3561

just make sure its not conductive or flammable and youre golden

1 Like

Itā€™s just normal foam. https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00GNAQ88O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you know where I can find some foam that is not conductive or flammable?

edit: he is also just using normal foam. https://youtu.be/TY7FwffZ5vc?t=22m45s.

unfortunately I cant read your amazon listingā€¦ :laughing:

So I would recommend neoprene. It IS flamable, but its non conductive, and is what almost everyone uses

https://www.amazon.com/Sponge-Neoprene-Thick-CLEVERBRAND-INC/dp/B01GWD5WOW

heres a link to a us amazon storeā€¦ i tried amazon.de and didnt get anything relevant :stuck_out_tongue:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00EDGGV7S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

2 Likes

any kind of foam should be good as long as everything else functions fine, I only recommend neoprene as its a commonly used option :slight_smile:

Hi all,

I have a Chargery charger which will do 12s. Here is a picture of the pins on the charger and the balance cable connection diagram for the 12S battery. Please look at how we are hooking up the 12S cells to the two JST-XH 7pin connectors. Does this look right?

Thanks in advance

bms_design bms_pins

I used that type of foam, you can always stick some fishpaper on it - someone should make sticky back fish-foam :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey so I just assembled a 10s3p battery todayā€¦

The parallel connections went fine. Wiring the series connections went ok as well.

When I went to plug in the balance wire loom it sparked and the BMS smoked. I did check the voltages on each wire and they were in order (from B0 to B10):

4.38 9.37 14.08 18.77 23.4 28.1 32.8 37.5 42.3 47

Somethingā€™s not right thoughā€¦ why is the voltage so high? Iā€™m sure all the individual 30q cells only had voltages of 3.42/3.43 when I measured right at the start. Why would three cells in parallel have a higher voltage?

1 Like

can you upload a picture of your battery and a diagram how you wired everything up? something wrong with the voltages. either you messured wrong, or you wired up something different, like a 12s or so

1 Like

Iā€™ll get onto the pictures tomorrow. Itā€™s late here. I definitely didnā€™t wire up a 12s. I have 10 even increments of 4.7ish volts. Canā€™t work our whatā€™s going on but it does seem unsafe so I just built a nice little house out of bricks for itā€¦

2 Likes

your max cell voltage is 4.2V ā€¦ if you increment with 4.7V than something is wrong or you use different cells not 18650s or liposā€¦

If you have now 4.7V on every cell than they are overcharged. ThatĀ“s definitly not good. :scream:

1 Like

I donā€™t think Li-ions can get to 4.7V per cell without exploding. Maybe something is wrong with your voltmeter?

2 Likes

if the voltage is already at 4.38V in the first parallel group, then itā€™s either not 18650 cells or the battery is overcharged.

2 Likes

IĀ“m not sure if they already explode at 4,7V but itĀ“s definitly not good at all. hope itĀ“s just a wrong messurement.

2 Likes

Definitely not good. The brick house he built till he figures it out is a good move.

2 Likes

Thanks guysā€¦ so the battery survived the night in the brick tomb.

I measured total pack voltage again this morning and got 42v. Then I replaced the battery in my multimeter (been meaning to do that for a while!)

Got 34.1v across the pack. Balance loom from b0 to b10 goes: 3.42, 6.86, 10.29, 13.71, 17.13, 20.4, 23.8, 27.3, 30.7, 34.1.

Iā€™m quite relieved. Hardly slept at all last nightā€¦ checked the pack a couple of times in the night to see if it had combusted/was getting warm.

That doesnā€™t explain why the bms fried when I plugged it in. This pack will still live in the brick tomb until all mysteries are revealed.

Donā€™t build batteries when youā€™re tired!

7 Likes

One thing I didnā€™t understood. You said you measured 42v over the hole pack, but in the same you wrote when you measured the balance leads the max voltage is 34.1v. Was it just a typo? To help us to help you it is still necessary that we get some pictures and if you have a wiring diagram according to which you wired the battery to the bms.

I measured 42v - then I changed the batteries in the multimeter and got 34.1v.

34.1v makes sense as itā€™s consistent with what the inidividual cells measured as before I started.

Monster battery build post coming I promise!

2 Likes

Ok, that sound good now. Got it :ok_hand:

1 Like