PirCac | Trampa Holypro 35 | 2x Overion 130 KV | 10S10Ah | 2x VESC6

Pirouette-Cachuète build log

Hi folks !

Better late than never, I share with you the build process started in february and (almost) finished mid-July. :slight_smile: The key-word of this build was PERFORMANCE as I made it to go up and down bikes and ski slopes in the mountain.

List of materials :

• Trampa Holypro 35 - Titanium Axle - Heels straps - Bags
  • Etoxx v2 Mount
  • 2x 5S Tattu 10Ah Lipo
  • 2x Overion 6374 3550W 130KV motors - Sensored
  • 10x36 ISO6b chain transmission
  • 2x VESC 6 Beta
  • Ultrabox 408 battery case
  • DIY/3D printed electronic box
  • DIY Arduino battery gauge/rearlight using WS2812 RGB leds
  • GT2b remote with Mad Munkey mod

Once upon a time, a Trampa Holypro 35 titanium axle with heel straps (and some bags).

I bought a used @Nowind etoxx v2 mount I polished for fun… No, kidding. This is fuc%#$ annoying, but needed for a delicious purpose, you’ll see later. :wink:

Battery box (Ultrabox 408) and batteries (Tattu 2x 5S 10Ah)

Pimped to hold strongly batteries while I ride like an idiot.

VESC 6 beta not released yet and the mount in a magic process, I needed to print them to go ahead with the rest of the build.

Wiring in 8AWG with spare wires for a future frontlight driven by the electronic box (all wires are red to be as discret as possible in the mesh guard)

Then, I received lots of love from Overion

with a (laser engraved) gift from Yann, the CEO of Overion (a reaaaaally nice guy).

Time to prototype then print the definitive cover of the electronic box with “windows” to let see the RGB LED ring gauge and brake light dimmed by luminosity sensor (controlled by arduino communicating via UART with VESCs 6).

The main part of this build for me was to create the carbon fiber 5mm sheet for holding all the electronics. I wanted it every strong to resist hard shocks while riding in the alps mountain (rocks, holes, cows, marmot, delicious fresh milk cheese…).

Scrap cuttings

VESCs 6 finally arrived. I originally planned to cut squares in the plate to let pass heatsinks attached under the VESC cases. But first tests of others beta testers showed that case temperatures wasn’t high even with high currents. So I decided to just add thermal paste to transfer heat to the whole plate which acts as a big heatsink. :wink:

I finally received the rest of the anodizied mount made by @Riako (thank you so much dude, you really really rock). Time to assemble everything and adjust ISO6b Overion pulleys alignment (with 100% infilled ABS 3D printed spacers)

As usual, no build withouta GT2b Mad Munkey remote (here while installing the CH3 button for activating lights).

Time to go testing in the street first (as I never rode a MTB before) Here with @Riako Darth Vapor prototype

And finally, the “natural habitat” of this little monster

Bonus : the board fits perfectly with the Trampa board bag. Perfect to carry it till the game area ! :slight_smile:

I made it short but It took me 5 months, hundreds of hours, some fails and a loooooot learned again. It still misses the Arduino board (I’m still updating it and will make it DIY) but the prototype is fully working :

Thanks for watching !! :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Super nice Dude. Like your Vesc Enclosure and Lighting Stuff… Great

Hehe you upgraded my CD-V2 Mounts with stronger Chains… nice … actually working on V3 with guess what :smile: ISO-6B …

Great Work

3 Likes

Heavy chain for heavy duty Mr. HighAmps ! :wink:

2 Likes

What do you think about those Tattu batteries ? I rarely see that brand on the forum but those are easier to find in Canada.

Actually, I didn’t ride a lot with. But so far so good. Each ride is recorded and then I analyse log files to measure the voltage sag and internal resistance under high amps. Even at almost 100 amps, the sag is fair. :wink:

1 Like

Clean board🤙🏻

Alright ! Time for an update !

I’m still working on the custom accessories PCB and it’s very closed to be finished now !

386485IMG20171205103725

VESC 6 are very good but they are also more sensitive in term of GND loop (which explains why it’s not recommended to use PPM Y-split). So I had a lot of pain for letting the Arduino communicates with it. It’s now solved and I’m happy to have all the features working now

(sorry for bad quality)

Features :

• Toogle frontlight and rearlight with short button push
  • Activate brakelight while braking
  • Scroll display pattern with a long button push among those :
    • Battery capacity
    • Speed
    • Motor temperature
  • Adjust LEDs brightness regarding the ambiant luminosity (like smartphone)
  • Adjust brightness of frontlight regarding speed (to avoid frying it when stopped because of lack of cooling on those powerful LEDs)

Talking about frontlight, I designed and 3D-printed a housing for 2x 5W Leds with heatsink. I wanted it the most integrated and invisible as possible (printed in black PETG). It also has a “deflector” to avoid blinding car drivers oncoming.

346629IMG20171028190838

337429IMG20171029204303

I’ll post a nice video presentation when everything will be mounted and finished as the final point of this almost 1-year build. :smile:

Cheers

10 Likes

Dude this is awesome! Arduino based Telemetry and VESC communication outside of the remote is definitely a new thing :smiley: I really like the extra details you added, like ambient light sensor and the stealth front leds :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is awesome! Cool work!

2 Likes

Getting there, supreme build.

In terms of grounding, what problems did you encounter? I have almost the same configuration with a few more thinks -Dual VESC 6 -Arduino + NRF -2 individual ws2812 strings -Multiplexer with 5 leds for battery gauge -Dual front leds -Step down for powering everything

My plan is to use the step down to power everything, so the only connection to the VESC is the Rx/Tx and use a star ground scheme with everything going to the output of the anti spark, what do you think?