Onewheel Build Guide

For those of you who have the Peipei Phub 188 36v 600watt, what are the settings you used to do the configuration in VESC Tool?

Dan, are you using an external gyro or a VESV 6+?

Im using a vesc6+ and running a custom firmware with the stabalizationcodeā€¦

Great stuff, Dan. Can you supply a link to the custom repo? Is it an official VESC 6+ or a clone?

Iā€™m starting to acquire parts so am in research mode.

Iā€™ve cloned the official one locally, will give out the code when its ready

2 Likes

Someone made a PR for adding a self-balancing app to the official FW :

It targets EUCs but can be used with for DIY OW I guess.

3 Likes

Has anyone finished and live near Stafford UK. As I really want to try one.

Hopefully get gets added in the main code. Now if I could find a cheap VESC 6+ with a built in IMU Iā€™m in business.

Can any of our VESC-experienced members give me some advice? How does this look? Can you tell if it has an onboard gyro/IMU? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FLIPSKY-FSESC-6-6-Based-on-VESC-60A-ESC-with-Heat-Sink-for-Electric-Q9U7/273902285829?hash=item3fc5d93405:g:fEwAAOSw4u9dDJFI

Hi, flipsky esc does not include anny gyro. Only vesc6+ includes it. I think trampa sells the originals

2 Likes

So, my issue as of now is that my onewheel XR controller module is broken. Battery and BMS, and motor is fine. Is it possible to use a Unity to replace the old controller?

Probably, if you are willing to work for it.

The Unity is a dual ESC - you only need one output - half wasted.

The communication protocol used by the onewheel to communicate with its controller is probably not one of the ones that the unity supports natively - reverse engineering required.

I donā€™t know where the IMU on the onewheel is - might be on the controller module, might be somewhere else. Probably best to use your own - more engineering required to make your unity communicate with the IMU, and to get the PIDs right for stable self-balancing.

Honestly if you can get a replacement controller, Iā€™d just do that - less effort than doing a full soup-to-nuts gut-and-stuff with different hardware and software.

2 Likes

Unity or vesc doesnā€™t reach to 15s as the battery of the XR, only to 12s. And if you looking to this solution because you want to save some money, that will not work for you. This still in very early stage of development, actually is almost just rideable. Btw, what happened to your controller? Did you open it?

2 Likes

For those with a VESC 6 who want to try out Mitchells Balance commit

I have compiled the firmware (VESC 6!) and vesc_tool https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lr5dlwLUmzQg9LgtGNpdGcR3M8jowReo

In the Vesc tool configure App Settings -> General -> [APP to Use] to BALANACE App Settings -> Balance -> [Use Peripheral I2C Gyro] for internal/external usage

3 Likes

Yea somehow forgot that the onewheel is literally just one motor so unity would be kinda too much lol.

Right now, Iā€™ve verified battery, BMS, motors, sensor pads are fine. Turning on the controller, blue LED is lit just normal. No fast blinking, just the slow dimming in and out (waiting for input). I open the app and I tilt the board and Iā€™m getting all battery percentage, gyro, everything.

But no front and back LEDs and motor does not engage when I get on. The motor is ā€œonā€ because thereā€™s that resistance when the controller is on, but itā€™s not engaging.

I found cold solders to the connector port for the sensor pads so I soldered those back on. I checked inductor L1 and itā€™s rock solid.

I have no idea.

1 Like

maybe the imu is gone?

Matiss rapsa is your guy, in FB owners group, he knows the shit like nobody else. Good luck!!

Thanks buddy for compiling this, I ask to Mitchell and he didnā€™t want it :frowning: Btw, I have vesc 6 (escape) and it has not populated the mpu 9250, do you think I can put it in, It will work ? :slight_smile: I donā€™t know firmware wise, I canā€™t code that, i just can make blinking a led in Arduino :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yo if it only cost this much in AU I am totally down to build one in the US haha