Onewheel Build Guide

what thread?

has anyone had succes with maxā€™s code yet, i want to build a onewheel and make a very clear full tutorial on my youtube channel(homemade madness), but im no arduino expert

1 Like

@MaxGoldenson whatā€™s the deal with the two foot switches, is one intended for front, and one for rear? i had in mind that iā€™d only need one, and put it on the front foot, so i could disengage motors etc when the rear of the board is down (ie as i get on/off the deck)

2 sensor in front, release 1 to disengage. You canā€™t put the tail down before disengage :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, I get what youā€™re saying about not putting the rear down while itā€™s engaged (else the motor would try to drive backwards until you release the switch) that was bad phrasing on my part.

I still donā€™t get what the second switch does. In my mind Boarding:

• Left foot on rear (rear down)
  • Right foot & pressure on front, brings front and rear level.
  • Slide front foot to Engage switch, board now begins to respond to tilt sensor, and adjusts motor speed according.

Dismount/dead manā€™s switch:

• release switch ( still riding, feet still in position).
  • Motor stops responding to tilt, all balance manually performed by rider.
  • When stationary (or slightly moving for rad sparks) put the rear down.
  • Remove front foot.
  • Crowd goes wild, ladies swoon, a bald eagle sheds a single tear.
2 Likes

I am a little bit exited as wellā€¦ But the guy from PEI SCOOTER is horrible in communitcations and shipping speed. Parcel is still not at the shipping company. I dont expect the wheel in germany within the next two weeks.

2019-06-26%2009_36_08-My%C2%A0AliExpress%20_%20Manage%C2%A0Orders

I believe the two pressure sensors go on both sides because in theory you should be able to ride in both ways.

@stefanme donā€™t leave it! We need you to develop this!!! I was so happy the day I see you coming to this thread :slight_smile:

@Sc0urge, the Onewheel has two sensors in the front pad to engage/disengage. It works when you are pressing both of them then the motor engage, until there is clear, the funny part comes when you have to disengage, you have to lift your heel from the pad while you toes still pressing the another sensor and you are stationary, then disengage happens.

300px-Sensor

Hey guys, been working hard these past few weeks. The mechanical assembly is almost done. The hard part is the code which Im working on. @Remieknaapen and @MaxGoldenson are also working on the same thing so might have one soon!

Im gonna post updates on the YouTube channel regularly:

6 Likes

nice, ill be watching :slight_smile:

Hi, how do you plan to build the front footpad? I saw in the previous posts you might use FSRs? Iā€™m wondering if youā€™ll just have a few and use them like a simple switch, or will you try to emulate the two sensor design from future motion?

https://www.amazon.com/Adafruit-Round-Force-Sensitive-Resistor-FSR/dp/B00XW2MIRQ/ref=asc_df_B00XW2MIRQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312727440900&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10104964395484814044&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1013581&hvtargid=pla-571396511975&psc=1

But why u need two sensorsā€¦? I can see any benefit fromt the second sensor. If u need the second(back) sensor to disengage, for what to u need the first(front) sensor?

Both sensors are in front, with one foot you press the two of them to engage, when you stop you must lift your heel to release one sensor then it disengage

yeah but WHY u need two. Just place a single sensor under your back foot and u have the sameā€¦ because for disengage u just look onto the back foot sensorā€¦

For start u look maybe on booth sensors? I also cant see a reason for this. Maybe its more pratical?

There is some people Goofy, and some other are regular :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it is difficult to ride it. But I like it.

I think its super easy to rideā€¦ much easier then a eskateā€¦

1 Like

Little late to the party, but wanted to share one Iā€™ve been working on too. Iā€™m using a VESC as well, with an ESP32 as the main MCU. This one has BLE built in, so I could easily write an app to tune the PID loop on the fly. Iā€™m also using the MPU9250. Itā€™s somewhat rideable at the moment, but the motor doesnā€™t have nearly as much torque as I was hoping, so it stalls out easily. Iā€™m planning on upgrading to the same 36V 600W motor that others are using.

Source code (in progress!) is here

unnamed%20(2)!

4 Likes

Is there any benefit from the the MPU9250 to the MPU6050?

Not for this project, itā€™s just the first one that came up on amazon. I believe the MPU9250 is basically the same as the MPU6050, with the addition of a magnetometer. My code isnā€™t using that, so itā€™s essentially the same.