Onewheel Build Guide

you reckon a 14s3p will fit the XR housing with little to no milling?

1 Like

@miniOW Iā€™ve laid it out, and 14s3p fits perfectly with no modifications, although thatā€™s with no fishpaper/tape/shrink-tube/foam etc. Problem is the XR wonā€™t work without the BMS and the BMS is a 15s BMS, so you need those extra cells if you want it to run. If youā€™re just using the housing for a plus then youā€™re good to go.

1 Like

yeah, plan to use it for the custom build with vesc 75, v1 shell and ranger/ego kit. Ego batteries are 14s so will work well together.

1 Like

Zot zot! Itā€™s the ARC parking structure :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello, can you help me please? Im building my first DIY OneWheel. Its my first project with VESC (FSESC 4.12) regulator. Im using HUB wheel similar to phub-188 but VESC Tool keep recognizing it like sensorless. How should I config it in VESC Tool? My VESC also does not save engine settings from wizard.

How many small wires come from the motor? How have you got them connected to the VESC?

You can run the FOC Wizard or Other Motor Wizard (and choose BLDC), depending on whether you want to run in FOC or BLDC mode. FOC is not advised for high kv motors.

There are five small wires. Red (5V), Black(GND), Yellow(Ha), Blue(Hc) and Green(Hb). But if I plug them all in as described, it doesnā€™t work. On multimeter there is nothing change too. Is it possible that the engine has been damaged? Or I could burn the sensors?

So youā€™ve got them plugged into the VESC as per this?

Doubtful you could burn the sensors if you plugged them into the #1 connector. Does the motor work in sensorless mode?

1 Like

Yes, I connected them exactly like this. The motor spin in sensorless mode. I can perform motor wizard, but the parameters are not saved when I disconnect the computer. In ā€œbalanceā€ screen I can see ā€œState: Runningā€, but motor is stopped.

Are you getting a ā€œMC configuration Updateā€ message in the bottom right hand corner of the VescTool when you complete setup i nthe wizard?

Follow these instructions if you havenā€™t already: https://vesc-project.com/node/938

Sounds like a dud VESC.

1 Like

came here to say people could not get the fsesc 4.12 to work in this application

Thank you for your answers. The solution of not running motor when it in state ā€œRunningā€ was that I didnā€™t set PID in Balance screen. Tomorrow I will try set it in sensorless mode and maybe disassembly that motor to look on Hall sensors.

Thank you again :wink:

I certainly experience these issues, but my 4.12 works more often than not and I cannot justify spending AU$400 on an ESC

Are you interested in the 84v cheap FOCer @shaman is working on?

Whats better about it?

Hello, can I use onewheel+ motor with VESC ? I cannot find motor I would like from china.

1 Like

Haha guess whoā€™s Onewheel finally broke? Yours maybe?

Well mine did. Iā€™m planning on selling the controller and battery if itā€™s good (-fried BMS)

Then, yes using a VESC to control it. Iā€™ve actually been trying to convince people in this thread to buy used Onewheel motors off the Facebook group, instead of from Pee pee who is overall not a good store I think.

Iā€™m planning on using the 84V Cheap FOCer (thread on the superior esk8 community forum)

If be interested to hear what VESC you wanted to use?

It can go up to 84V, as opposed to 50V which is what most other vescs are limited to. Since the Peihubs have such a low KV, higher voltage will allow higher top speeds.

Ah ok, Iā€™m running 24V at the moment into a 120kv 6384 motor, rather than a hub motor. Is it based off the Focbox? If so, as NuRxG recommends Focboxes then maybe. Is the Focbox based off the VESC 6 like the FOCer V2 is?

FOCBOX is 4.12 based but good with high currents.

The cheap FOCer 2 84V is based on VESC 6 and will also have a built in gyro imu unlike 90% of other vesc available.

And given the name with some work yourself the cost per unit should be far less than $200 USD

1 Like