Onewheel Build Guide

Ayyy UCI! That’s my alma matter. haha is that APS?

I know it’s been stated before but would y’all mind also documenting some of the valuable info here on the other forum? The frequent forum outages are slightly concerning :sweat_smile:

Getting the parts to build my onewheel using the shell of the v1 onewheel. Its a 500W motor attached to a 16s LiFePO4 battery pack. Sourcing the phub-181 1kW since it will fit my Burris onewheel tyre (11x6-6), and the vesc 75/300 to play with.

Will first try getting the new motor to work with the V1 controller to see what happens, then the v1 motor with vesc.

All the past work on this is inspirational.

2 Likes

Uhhhhhhh the Peipei motor with the Onewheel V1 controller?

Wouldn’t it need to be configured for the motor? Hall sensor parameters and such.

I have a V1 Onewheel too. The moment it breaks I’m going to start tinkering with it but it’s a tank.

I think am interested upgrade would be 16S3P lifepo4 18650s. Slightly larger but can have capacity up to 4.5Ah, and it should work well with all the stock components.

tbh, was going to assess the motor when I get it, suss out the wiring so voltages and sensors are at least connected correctly and see how it goes.

1 Like

I did mod my ow+ to 14s3p with Samsung 30q and it fits inside of the battery box, that’s 9 amps and gives around 35km, maybe is interesting instead lifepo4, still using same ow original charger.

1 Like

Thats awesome. I thought there would be issues going to a 14s on the onewheel BMS but looks like its fine. Also, how did you fit 42 18650s into the same housing?

I think they take the OW BMS out.

They are switching from 16S1P lifepo4 26650 to 14S3P li-ion 18650.

It is possible because there is some extra room under the battery that is normally for protection but most modded Onewheels have float plates over this weak point. My v1 battery I checked when I got it used, someone has been in there before me.

Pic I couldn’t find before (WARNING FIRE PRONE BATTERY CHILDREN AVERT YOUR EYES)

2 Likes

Thanks buddy, I left my post unfinished. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m supprised at how well it worked. Definitely would want to see more on how it rides.

Might be worth finding a spare XR battery box to give you a bit more space to work with.

1 Like

I’m not sure if the xr battery box fits the V1. I would just make the V1 box taller as I mentioned before.

I am talking to someone who makes rails that is working on a custom XR battery box.

There is another one up for $500 that has ceramic bearings and Burris treaded.

I recently modded my stock XR pack. Took it from 15s2p of VTC6 to 15s2p of Sanyo 20700b.

I had to mill some relief in the pack, but everything is working with the standard controller/BMS. I’m getting about 19-20 miles on a charge, up from about 14-15. Only problem is the app doesn’t really know my SOC anymore. A full drain/charge helped a ton but it’s still about 10% off. Not a big deal.

The XR pack should fit the V1 frame, but you will have to use XR bumpers with it. Dimensionally the rails haven’t changed from V1->XR from what I can tell, and I’ve swapped a lot of parts.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! Haven’t seen this in all my research.

Really nice mod!! I believe is not possible to fit 21700 cells right?

@Fosterqc The OW modder community isn’t very mature yet. Lotta people think installing a new footpad is a mod. I can do a side by side dimension check on the rails to be sure if you’d like.

@Surfer I don’t think so. You’d have to thin out the bottom of the pan even more, which I wouldn’t be super comfortable with even with the float plates there. I think 15s3p of VTC6 would fit, though which is what I plan on trying next.

3 Likes

Hi all, I’ve just finished building my onewheel, and now I’m working on programming it… however, no matter what code I use I cannot get the arduino to spin the wheel. I’m wondering if there is a problem with how my arduino and vesc are connected? Any thoughts?

I did fit 14s3p in a plus, if I was able to fit 15s3p in a xr I will go and buy a XR strait away. If you find the time to confirm it, that would be awesome, but I’m pretty sure I will have to wait :grin: Thanks for you quality post and reply :call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

1 Like