Onewheel Build Guide

I tried through the programmer and it didnt work. Just reflash the custom firmware from the programmer(not Dans). Then go to vesc tool and flash dans fw. HW should be autodetected.

Finished the build and wiring, now i just need to set up the VESC, and maybe modify @MaxGoldenson code to use only one button

7 Likes

What IMU you are using? MPU-9250 does not work (for me)

Iā€™ve got a nano and an mpu6050 in the box beside the vesc

You need a different library for 9250.

Buddies if you using the firmware from nurgx, thereā€™s not need for Arduino, just connect it directly, Benjamin recommend to use a pull up resistors for sda and scl

2 Likes

Iā€™ve tried a bunch of external gyros and vescs without any resistors and theyā€™ve seemingly worked fine. But obviously benjamin knows way more about this stuff than me, Iā€™m just a software guy.

2 Likes

Since it seems so many of you are using the same motor, here is my wheel frame i designed using t-slot extrusions.

And here is a photo of it next to Jonathanā€™s infamous monster wheel, which runs the blezalex firmware.

The monster wheel now has suspension and runs really well. Im very lucky to live in a city with two other DIY onewheel makers :innocent:

9 Likes

I donā€™t quite follow what you are saying, Surfer. Can you clarify for a non-hardware guy?

With the NuRxG firmware, the foot pads connect to sda and scl? (and how should the resistors be connected in, and what resistance?)

1 Like

The IMU connects to scl/sda, i forget what ports the footpads connect to but if you hit the help icon in the vesc tool it says where.

This is sick! We need a video of it in action asap!

for anyone wanting a handle for their deck, i followed this guy, it took about 10 minutes

the cord itself cost me like 4 bucks, and heaps of left over

Here is the info for wiring footpads to the vesc.

4 Likes

What do you mean? what configuration?

@Dan333 squab is right. I tried to flash the firware on vesc4 and adter uploading the firmware, the hw version changes to 6 and the balance app doesnt work. Could you please look into this. @Surfer any idea?

1 Like

Usually this is not good idea, you can blow your vesc flashing the wrong firmware, donā€™t ask me how I know :slight_smile: It was a bit surprise when you said was working for you. Just guessing, this firmware is not official, nurgx is working in his firmware for a merge with the official, when this happens will be available for all versions of vesc, but at the moment nurgx is testing with vesc 6 hence the firmware is available for vesc 6. Anyway Dan mentioned in his post, the version he compiled was for vesc 6, maybe he can compile some more :slight_smile: if is in the firmware

1 Like

are there any VESC tool wizzes in the mix? Iā€™m playing round with VESC tool tonight, and getting some good results, but iā€™m a n00b, so donā€™t want to toast my setup. the hardware iā€™ve got is 10s2p (30Q) battery, with BMS flipsky vesc 4.12 36v/600w phub wheel

so far in vesc iā€™ve set the motor up as FOC with the below current and set voltage cutoff between 34 and 31v

1 Like

If you interested in testing, I compiled a version of firmware for 4.10 VESC. Didnā€™t tested it myself, donā€™t have VESC on me right now

P.S. It should work with precompiled VESC Tool from Dan but, if it does not, I can rebuild it with one other change, but it is sketchy)

4 Likes

Sweet. Will go home and give it a shot tonight.

1 Like

Ok so i flashed this and it seems to work. The hw version is correct (4.1, mine is 4.12, dont know if that makes a difference). One thing is that the write app config button doesnt work. Does nothing. I think it might be swapped with the read default app config button. It seems like when i press the read-default config, it writes the app. So far so good, but the IMU doesnt seem to be detected by the vesc. At all. I enabled external mpu, Selected 9250, and enables imu RT app, but the reading is just flatā€¦of course, I double checked my connections. 3v gnd and scl sda to same ports on vesc. Still nothing. Could you see what seems to be causing this. @Dan333 @NuRxG Off to bed.

1 Like