Onewheel Build Guide

I’d be interested for 2 units. Do you have a cost estimation ?

1 Like

I’d be interested as well

I was selling them for 15$ I think I would keep the price the same. Not super profitable and kind of annoying to prepare, but I’m only making a few as a service to the community rather than trying to pay my rent.

Last time i sold the kits, i never heard or saw any posts or anything from any of the buyers which was super bummer. I don’t know if anyone actually used them, or they’re all sitting in peoples “to do” piles. Maybe if i charge more people will actually use them LOL!

5 Likes

I might have some code samples of a nano controlling a vesc with self balancing over uart, but id have to dig them up, as i abandoned that route a long time ago.

Regardless i based my code on this.

I switched from UART to PPM and it seemed to be more stable, and i never went back, however i didn’t really do extensive A/B testing, so I’m not so confident in that answer. Regardless my current code is worlds better.

1 Like

Was Arduino uart slow/laggy?

@NuRxG I thought to use this one nrf 52 + bmi160 do you think it can work? I have a vesc 6 and using external gyro, then I can’t use Bluetooth module for fine tuning pid, no more UART ports available. (Bmi160 is not firmware ready yet, buy I think it will be soon) Also there is a forum member who produces a UART splitter module, that could be a solution, but I don’t know if that could create noise or any kind of interference on the readings from the gyro.

Thanks for your input mate

It was twitchy and hard to tune, but I can’t promise it was due to UART. Ive come a long way since i last tried that method, and rewritten my code 2 or 3 times on different architectures. Every system will have a weakest link, and across my various systems there were many different weakest links.

Some of them being:

flipsky vescs are shit for self balancing

PPM signals are a few MS each

arduino nano cant run at more than like 400hz (use a teensy, way better!)

complementry filters are lame

MPU6050 random drifting biases

VESC time to read and process an input depending on the source (ive never quantified this, and it may not exist)

The gyro library i initially picked had lots of small hard to find bugs that wasted weeks/months of my life

General signal interference/noise on the lines from gyro to arduino and arduino to vesc, I’ve never quantified this either but electronics people love to talk about it.

The shape and weight of your build.

A good example is that i switched from arduino to teensy to run at 1k, but running at 1k made almost no difference when i was controlling over PPM, that was a major defeat and super depressing. However now that I’m running onboard the vesc switching from from 500hz to 1khz made a HUGE difference in stability.

1 Like

Not sure what a combo module gets you, i bought a regular BMI160 but i haven’t tested it yet. Is it not in the firmware? I thought it was in the latest release, I’ve seen a bit of code related to it.

I don’t think a UART spitter will work because bluetooth is UART but the gyro is I2C and you probably cant run them both on the same pins at the same time. But that said i have no clue what a UART splitter is.

The upside is that you don’t really need to finetune the PID. When everything else is configured properly, it pretty much just works with a wide range of PID values, and the other config is fairly copy pasteable or at least if a then do x. It is pretty involved getting it all set up, i plan to film a proper video once an actual feature set is released, currently is changed quite a bit over the last month. Ive done all my config over USB, i only added the config to the mobile app last night, and i still cant get my trampa vesc working with any of my bluetooth modules.

Here are the gyros i bought (yes i bought a 5 pack LOL) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JJHMDR3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Yea I burnt a ton of arduinos and mpus. Uart IS glitchy and unreliable…

I believe you know it, but just in case, the vesc app only connects with nrf and needs to be flased with Benjamin nrf51-52, other apps like vesc monitor will work with a regular hm-10

I never heard that. However in the past i could use a flipsky vesc with a flipsky bluetooth controller and connect to the vesc app no problem. I’ve never used a nrf, ill have to read up on this, or rewrite the code to make it do what i want lol!

Farther down the line, id like to integrate the vesc with an open source mobile app called wheel log.

1 Like

Very nice way to make a sensor, you can tell me how thick those plastic sepacers are?

I was doing minimum layer height on my 3D printer which was set to 0.3mm, card stock/thick paper works as well.

hey mate, i’m nearly done, had to put it on hold for a bit to help with my sisters wedding.

the only thing left to do in the build is to hook up the 3 wires for the motor drive, as well as the 5 wires for the hall effect inputs

with the peipei hub the motor power and hall inputs look colour matched. when i’m wiring these into the vesc, does it matters the order that I wire in the hall effect signals? like do they need to be paired with the relevant motor output?

No. Everything will be put in order during the sensors detection process in Vesc Tool.

2 Likes

Hello, I’m new to VESC and such, is this compiled firmware for VESC 6+ or it can be flushed to 4.12? How can i check myself, without destroying my hardware? TY)

Ok guys I have to admit Mitch has done an exceptional job here. Talked to him yesterday and Im ready to give this a go. I did get Dans firmware and tool downloaded and works good! Can anyone please tell me how are the footpads connected on the vesc4? Mitch mentioned they are nrf. Anyone done it?

1 Like

You just flushed .bin through VESC-Tool as a custom firmware?

Yup! Didnt even need a programmer

1 Like

Well, after flushing Dan’s firmware, my hardware version changed to 60 => no worki-worki. Going to reflush through programmer and hope that it’s working at all))

1 Like