Onewheel Build Guide

Ah ok, I’m running 24V at the moment into a 120kv 6384 motor, rather than a hub motor. Is it based off the Focbox? If so, as NuRxG recommends Focboxes then maybe. Is the Focbox based off the VESC 6 like the FOCer V2 is?

FOCBOX is 4.12 based but good with high currents.

The cheap FOCer 2 84V is based on VESC 6 and will also have a built in gyro imu unlike 90% of other vesc available.

And given the name with some work yourself the cost per unit should be far less than $200 USD

1 Like

The FOCer lineup are all engineered from scratch based on the vesc6.x platform, whereas the focbox is based on the vesc4.x platform. Since you’re using a regular outrunner you have less need for a high system voltage. There are quite a few 6.x based ESCs that may be more suited to your specific build.

2 Likes

hey, i’m building a one wheel, could we have the 3D printing files? Your board looks amazing btw. thanks!

1 Like

Not for know, the parts still need some redesigning. If I’m going to share them I think I also need some kind of manual and parts list. Because it takes more then just the 3d files to build it. Don’t have time at the moment to do all of that.

Hey guys, I would like to thank you for help about week ago. My prototype is working now. It was due to defect hall sensors in motor. So I changed that and now its in run! There is a picture of my early prototype

But Im working on better looking chassis:

12 Likes

That new frame looks awesome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very cool prototype, I may be weird but I really like the thin steel rails, do you have any video on how it rides? The new frame looks awesome, like factory made, is it cnc machined?

Fantastic work and love the YouTube video. Are you able to share your CAD design file and 3d print/STLs with the community ?

Excellent, Excellent work.

If I had to guess, I’d say it’s manually machined (or could be) for all the holes, and then all the frame members are welded together nicely.

Thanks for the compliment!

Like I mentioned before. The parts still need some redesigning. If I’m going to share them I think I also need to write some kind of build manual and write down a parts list. Because it takes more then just the 3d files to build it.

I’m playing with the idea of doing that. Maybe I’ll start writing stuff down and see where it goes.

1 Like

Did you ever get any further with the superfoc 6.8 ? I’m keen to give it a try as opposed to starting off with an older 4.12 variant, but onewheel balance functionality is one of my key interests. If it needs some code tweaks or pin tracing to see where they’ve put the sda/scl pins I can give it a go.

Hello, can someone help me? I cannot run a small sensorless motor to test if my 6050 work well.

I have not the gyro orientation tab in the vesc tool 2 free

I cannot send image or link, because I m new maybe.:blush:

1 Like

Hello all! I recently became interested in building my own OneWheel, so I have read a good chunk of this thread. This had lead me to have a few questions…

First off, it appears that one of the only sources of hub motors that would work for this build is from Pei Scooters. As I have read in this forum, however, it seems that Pei Scooters is unreliable and the motor has a relatively low speed. What do you all think about using a belt driven set up? Do you think that a belt driven setup would be capable of self balancing?

Secondly, if I were to use a belt driven system, could I use a regular arduino motor controller as opposed to a VESC? It would save a lot of cost, and I may not need FOC for this applications.

I think you all in advance for your help! This forum has been very useful in my research!

Re: belt drive, yes that will work. There are several people in this thread and elsewhere that have used chain to good success, and belts work the same.

Re: not using a vesc, it totally depends on how much effort you are willing to put into it, and how skilled of a programmer you are. It can absolutely be done, but assuming you value your time at $5/hour, you’ll be able to afford several vescs by the time you’re done.

1 Like

Thank you very much! This is very helpful! I may try a normal motor controller just for the heck of it because I am going to school for computer science, but I may just end up with a vesc. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Hello all, Long time lurker, first time poster. I had read this thread before Mitch wrote his self balance app for the VESC. Just a question to anyone in the know, Would a Vesc mini 4.20 work for this project or is it that different in hardware to the 4.12 that it would be a problem? Thanks all. Seaka.

1 Like

Doing that now. Was previously running a chain drive but for the same gear ratio I can use smaller pulleys/sprockets and thus get better ground clearance. I find my 6384 brushless motor has plenty of torque @ approx 5:1 gearing:

It’s not as clean a solution as a hub motor, in both senses of the word, but it works. I just hope there will be no more inefficiencies in the system than there was in my chain drive. Time will tell.

WIP

3 Likes

Have you downloaded the tool from here? https://vesc-project.com/node/17

You may need to update the firmware on your vesc, through vesctool, too.

Hi, yes I have yet updated my firmware through vesctool 2 free version.

I have 3.66 installed.

I dont understand how to set up the balance app, I will recheck tonight the video tutorial of NuRxG.

but I have not the gyro orintation tab, so I dont know if it is the roll or pitch axis which should drive the throttle of the wheel.