OllinBoardCo OM5065-200kv Sensored Motor

I hear bench tests and real road usage for FOC can lead to widely different experiences, so i wonder how these things will perform in a real world setting. I’ll probably stick to bldc for reliability on your VESC and motors.

1 Like

Yeah FOC is very finicky. Like I said the only motors I have had good results with have been the sk3 192kv motors to be exact. You do lose a lot of top end speed in foc so not too much to be gained.

I have contacted most of you but I will update here also. The motors are fitted with 5.5mm bullet connectors. The 4mm connectors had some issues and I thought it better to have them go out with 5.5mm instead. If this causes problems for anyone please contact us and we can help work it out. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks again Chaka, can’t wait to try them out!

Whew…now I don’t need to switch anything out!!! Whoopeeeeee!

Is the sensor wire a 6-pin JST? If so could I use this as an extension for it so I don’t have to snip the sensor wires to add more wire?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191770499738?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

They have a locking connector. I was hoping we would have the mating male connectors in time to supply an adapter/extension cable but they are not here yet.

As long as the VESC I ordered with it comes with 5.5mm connectors…I believe I originally ordered 4mm to match the motor. Any way you can look into it?

Ah so they’re on the way. Maybe I’ll leave mine unsensored until they come in…

@chaka or anyone else experienced in sensored motors…is it worth it? Is it a noticeable difference riding a sensored motor vs nonsensored? How much more difficult to set up?

Plug it in and detect hall sensors in VESC setup, that’s it. It helps with dead start acceleration, but that’s pretty much it. I’d like to use it since i’m often stopping at lights uphill, where I sometimes can’t kick hard enough to get it rolling much.

1 Like

I do not use the sensors on my personal builds but it does give you excellent startup from a dead stop. Un-sensored is better at speed but that is what hybrid mode is for. :wink:

@Jinra Yeah, it will be a cleaner install. Worth the wait.

Will you be switching the vesc connectors to match? If it’s not too late could you do mine? I don’t have any 5.5mm connectors laying around.

Of course! It will be ready to go. You will still need to calibrate and enable your PPM settings within the bldc-tool though.

this thing keeps nagging in the back of my head. i have this very pronounced boost with my 6355 rspecc 190kv, i experienced a similar but less pronounced boost with my sk6374 168kv - both in bldc mode, both kicking in around maybe 90% of max rpm.

foc however does not show this behavior, its a clean smooth run from 0 to topspeed. only checked on sk, once i feel like opening up my tesseract ill try foc there as well on the rspecc to double check.

might be a bldc/vesc and not a motor thing? i just cant really think about any mechanic in a motor that is supposed to generate a sudden torque jump. :confused:

I have also experienced this “Boost” recently while riding, feels like a Turbo boost kicking in !

I have noticed the boost on FOC mode as well. It kicks in much sooner than 90% so you may be experiencing something else. Be careful with FOC, it can cause failures.

Thanks @chaka … Nicest motor I’ve ever seen…look forward to buying your 63mm if you put them out

5 Likes

Do these motors come with sensors or you can choose not to have ?