OllinBoardCo CNC milling machine!

We already have a cnc router but we will be upgrading to a more robust machine soon. Might add a laser attachment for etching/engraving at some point.

Love what youā€™re doing! I wish i had space to get a proper mill and lathe!

1 Like

They really donā€™t take up too much space. The weight is another issue, you donā€™t want to move them around once you have them set in place.

Well, you say that, but imagine a mill and lathe in a 2 bed condo lol

Well I live in a room of a house (so I have 1 room to keep all of my stuff) and I have a CNC milling machine. Not close to as good at chakas, but I made my board with it and have cut steel tools with it.

Now I barely can fit the CNC in my room. And thereā€™s no way I could ft a lathe or saws too. But itā€™s up to how badly you want it. I wanted a CNC machine bad enough to live with it in my only room, lol.

1 Like

@evoheyax yeah, i have the same, extra room for my ā€œworkshopā€ and the wifeā€™s. I got a cnc router and a 3d printer. But i also need space to move and stuff when im building things :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is my world for the next few days. Turning raw materials into precision components!

22 Likes

i have a program to cut that exact part out on a cad cnc machine. forget the program now as I dont use a cad cnc anymore. if you want it. guess you dont now.

Canā€™t be the exact part unless you hacked my computer! This was designed on FreeCad and mounts to our drive pulley. The drive pulley rides on a machined truck hanger. Barely any material is removed from the hangar so it isnā€™t weakened like other designs.

unnecessary shit flinging. you can keep those snide comments to your self and just promote your shit man. negativity is toxic. also that board must weigh 3 tons at least. looks pretty though.

Are you kidding me? Me and @hummie are friends in my book!

1 Like

if anything Iā€™m talking trash. yea my part isnt the same surely. dont know why heā€™s freaking out.

This is impressive, especially in terms of raw material quality, cost and precisions. Especially compared to extruded options.

Reminds me of when apple came out with the unibody macbook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-imIrMazBc#t=1m50s

that will make it super easy to rotate or change wheels!!!

I just replaced my wheels and had worn the drive wheel down from 97mm to 91mm

While my other wheels only lost 1 mm

Note on the g540 drives, they can use some heatsinks. Used a buck converter and powered a small 12v pc fan to keep it cool. Once things settle down I will mill a custom heatsink but these work fine for now. Barely warm to the touch, even at high feed rates. I fastened them with some silicon heatsink plaster.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a quick tip, I did start this thread as a resource after all.

When locking parts or fixtures into your vise, snug it slightly and give it a few quick taps with a deadblow or rubber mallet. You will hear a barely audible ping once it is seated. This keeps things accurate. Once seated lock it down.

1 Like

Bump @chaka

Sorry @lox897 we only use traceable shipping, the only service that offers this guaranteed is express. Really wish we could ship by other methods but it puts us at a very high risk of loss.

In the future please feel free to send me a private message here on the forums. I may not be the person replying to company emails all the time but you can be sure you get me in person here.

1 Like

Switched out our air supply with a high output air pump. Having our air compressor switch on a hundred times a day was getting old fast. This is an 80L/min pump. A 70L/min pump probably would have been fine.

Clearing chips is a big deal when using larger endmills at moderate feedrates and compressed air alone has been doing a great job so far. Might add some type of coolant/lubricant drip to the line as we increase the efficiency of our g-code but this is working well for us so far! Nice and quiet.

2 Likes

Nice one chaka! I like using compressed air too for aluminium. Some people use mist, but i find it actually makes the chips stick to the workpiece and gums up my cutters! Probably increasing the air pressure and flow would help, but even without forced air, a 2 flute helical cutter does wonders with chip clearing.