OllinBoardCo CNC milling machine!

MORE PICS! Your covering it by a box… how am I going to see? :cry:

1 Like

Should be finished with the shop expansion this weekend, I’ll post some photos once the machine is in it’s new home. Feel like I am running a marathon, I love it!

5 Likes

Ah LittleMachineShop! Right down the street in Pasadena, CA :wink:

The shop expansion finally has a sealed roof, still needs a bit of finish and trim but good enough to begin moving the new equipment in!

The machine is an lms 3990, perfect size for us right now. Decided to go with gecko drives, the G540, and KL23H2100-35-4B stepper motors. Found a really good mobo, intel d525mw mini-itx, no moving parts and it has decent performance using linuxcnc.

7 Likes

After a few days you’ll wish it was in a soundproof room

Our cnc router is probably 10x louder than this unit. :sweat_smile:

Keys to the kingdom have arrived!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKo5KJ6gx06/?taken-by=ollinboardco

7 Likes

I think you should wrap in the vinyl CF …lol…it will keep it nice and shiny forever

2 Likes

Needed to grind a small relief into the cast base of the lms3990 for the y axis ballscrew. Short work with a small die grinder!

3 Likes

The mill has been running about 16 to 18 hours a day for the past two weeks now. Running like champ!

Added a compressed air attatchment to help clear chips and it also helps keep things cool. Have also added some heatsinks and fans to the motor.

Everthing considered, this has been a great investment. Already planning on building a second machine and doubling our output!

13 Likes

That’s awesome to hear! What have you been using the mill to cut?

Milling the drive components for our completes.

So this mean you’ll able to lower some prices lol :wink:

Not likely. You need to figure our wheel pulley contains 2 large ceramic bearings so the price will probably be a little higher than a basic bolt on pulley system.

Can’t wait to see your shit

So we’ll need 50mm exposed axle to use your pulleys?

Our system is based on matched set of trucks that are turned on a lathe. We are now using cast liquid attack rkp’s. So far they have been some of the best cast trucks we have used.

We have basically taken all the slop out of the drive train by mounting the pulley to the hangar and driving the wheel with a spline. No more pulley alignment issues.

Once we have all our production milling fixtures finished I will start a thread with more details and photos.

10 Likes

Looking forward to seeing more details on this. Interesting.

Looking forward to it

So I’m guessing that a laser cutter is next on your wishlist for preparing deck veneers?