Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

First post here so be gentle :slight_smile: I’ve been lurking a while trying to learn as much as I can.

I’m looking to build my first board on a little bit of a budget.

My first plan was to build with meepo style hub motors but the more I read the more I think that its not a good idea, I see a whole lot of snapped/failed trucks and other issues on here so I think I will give them a miss.

I have enough 18650’s to build a 10s3p pack and could possibly go to buying another 10 cells to make it 4p. I have a 10s BMS already (But i’d have to run charge only as its not rated enough for this use on output).

I’m looking to DIY an enclosure and I think someone is ‘donating’ me a longboard to use that seems to be good enough.

It seems to be the general feeling that a VESC is the right way to go for motor control so I’m looking at a single motor setup with something like a 190kv hobbyking motor (suggestions welcome). Of course I’d need a mount and pulleys etc.

Am I heading down the correct path? Would it be worth me getting the extra cells to make it a 4p pack? I’m getting confused by the online calculators as to what range I can expect.

Oh, and the other thing I’m really struggling with is what controller to use. Seems to be good and bad reviews for just about every option. I’d really like it to be nunchuck/small.

You can calculate the wh of your battery pack. 500wh is about 50 km 300wh 30km etc…

Edit: what is your budget?

It is better to buy more expensive cells than an extra 10 cheap cells. Longer life same amperage. For single motor vesc max constant is 27 amps I think so even a 2p would be acceptable with 40 amp bursts with high quality cells. 190kv is perfect for 10s you are right. The calculators are pretty accurate but don’t ignore the voltage under current draw of the 30q giving more range at higher speed. I’ve seen someone say 6-7 miles per parallel group at 10s which lines up well with what I have seen

Oh and controller the cheapest reliable option is the GT 2b hobbyking and you can do an enclosure mod to make it compact aswell.

18650 charge rate question: My cells are 2 Ah each. They have a max charge rate of 1C so 2A per cell. But if I build a 4p pack with them what is the max charge rate? Still 2A or is it now 2Ax4P = 8A?

I don’t have a set budget really, the more I spend the longer it will take for me to get everything.

As for cells I have 30x 25r already from another project that I can build into a pack. It wouldn’t be too much to add another 10 cells but if I’m going to get around 270wh I think that might suffice?

in parallel it all add up, so your 8A is right

So I’m kind of confused what a e-switch does. From my understanding it’s the same as a anti-spark switch. But when I look at a picture of a bestech bms with e-switch it’s just 2 cables. What am I supposed to do with those?

5.5mm/2.1mm waterproof charging jack. Which prone is positive and negative? Just bought a 4a charger and can’t wait to use this

IMG_4724

The 2 wires connect to a switch. The switch doesn’t have any power running through it, it just completed it breaks a circuit. When the circuit is complete it tells the BMS to provide power.

Plug the jack up to your charger then olug in the charger, use a mutimeter to define which is positive and which is negative.

2 Likes

http://calc.esk8.it/ Vescs are limited to 60000 erpm and these motors on 10s will exceed that and cause potential damage. Use the calculator to assess your choices and build on! KSSS keep it simple stupid safe

1 Like

So I will still need a Anti spark switch?

No, if you have a BMS with E-switch that’s all you need.

1 Like

Dumb question: Is there such thing as an 11s battery? Like a weird middle ground between 10s and 12s?

Maybe not with lipo’s but you can certainly make an 11s with lion batteries

1 Like

Was running 11s for a year with 18650s. On 190kV motors and I like it very much. The downside is that it’s a bit more expensive to get bms and charger for it

1 Like

With the new dual vesc coming out from flipsky and maytech I was wondering how do you go about identifying which side would be master and slave in bldc?

5s + 6s lipo= 11s lipo and get a hobby charger

You set up your master and slave via vesc tool, so you should know it after. If you mean if you connected you don’t know on which you connected? Than just run a motor detection and the side that spins the motor on that side you are.