Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

Is it possible to ruin the vesc by soldering wires to it

Yes & no. PCB can be damaged very easily if you solder things the wrong way, too much heat or not enought etc… But if you be careful you can solder the wires onto PCB no problems.

example

1 Like

I’m guessing that one is an example.of something you should avoid when soldering to the pcb?

2 Likes

Does this look fine? I tested resistance with a voltmeter to make sure none are touching. Detection of sensor wires works in bldc detection, but not in Foc detection. What does this mean?

Would this motor https:///collections/electric-skateboard-starter-collection/products/electric-skateboard-motor-6355-190kv be considered a 750g medium out runner for the new vesc tool?

Can you remind me what you are trying to do again?

Change to a sensored, smoother and quieter setup from the regular bldc. I don’t have sensor wires, so I soldered some in and connected to the motor outputs so far.

can we see a photo of the motor and how these wires are attached?

1 Like

@onloop

I got these outputs from BLDC detection: Detected hall sensor table:

-1, 3, 1, 2, 5, 4, 6, -1

No readings when I detect in FOC though.

do you have a sensor pin diagram for those motors?

1 Like

Yeah its

• Red = 5v
  • White = Temp
  • Blue = A
  • Yellow = C
  • Green = B
  • Black = GND

Its this motor https:///collections/electric-skateboard-starter-collection/products/electric-skateboard-motor-6355-190kv

And I’m certain I connected the right ones, matching the colors on the motor up.

so everything working as expected when you setup in BLDC sensor mode? just failing in FOC?

1 Like

Precisely. Detection in FOC doesn’t work, but even BLDC returns " Detected hall sensor table:

-1, 3, 1, 2, 5, 4, 6, -1". Without a wire it’s blank, with all connected it says it gets readings.

you running the latest version of firmware on the vesc?

got another vesc on hand to test the motor with?

1 Like

I have 2.18 Is that up to date? And no, I’m a fair noob to this, and don’t happen to have any spare parts. I’ve ridden the board fine many days with BLDC, but I’d like to take advantage of FOC. Should I be using software other than the old “BLDC tool”?

Should I be trying this with the new “vesc tool” instead? Is that the issue?

you should definitely update to all the latest stuff, this way we know its not some issues related to old software or bugs etc.

But, also, please understand that at the end of the day, the difference between BLDC Sensored Or FOC Sensored is probably not noticable.

Your time would be better spent riding then troubleshooting this stuff.

1 Like

I have trouble starting from a stop and it’s extremely loud- doesn’t FOC fix that?

And thank you, I honestly didn’t expect for new firmware to have been made in the time I’ve been away from skating. Hopefully the updates fix everything

It’s warning me of ruining the motor now, does mine fit the tools “750g outrunner”? Or is 640g too small for that detection setting and better to go with a 200g detection?

mmmm. not not really… Maybe a little. I suppose it depends what you mean by “extremely loud” bldc isn’t normally described in that way.

Can we see photo of your drive train setup?

Also, without being rude/insulting, how much do you weigh?

1 Like

No not rude at all, I extremely appreciate your help! I’m 120 pounds and use this

from diy electric (https:///collections/featured-items/products/single-bolt-on-motor-mount-w-drive-wheel-kit)

Can you record a video of the sound it makes in BLDC?

if it’s making an extremely loud noise there is a chance something else is wrong.

1 Like