Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

Not necessarily, they still need a BMS

They just handle abuse a bit better, less fire risk

1 Like

li-ion has capacity, lipo has discharge, and lifepo4 has long life and cold weather

All 3 can be used in esk8. It depends what you need.

1 Like

Yup! Those are what I need thanks man!

1 Like

What’s the best M5 threaded insert for our fiberglass trampa boards?

So I’m getting to the end (or hopefully) of my build and I was wondering about painting my enclosures. Anyone ever run into problems with using their boards on high heat days? I just painted my top mount enclosures black but realized that may be a stupid idea when I live where it gets over 100 in the summer and I may be riding in areas with little or no shade. Would I be better off choosing a different color or just not a good idea to ride on days that hot anyway?

Ok so what are the pros and cons of either using a chain drive or belt drive?

Belt drive is super common and well-tested in esk8, so parts specifically designed for esk8 are more available than chain. Belts are also quieter, and don’t require any lubrication. Belts have smaller teeth than chain, so the pulleys can be smaller, and have a larger range of incremental sizes.

Chains can transmit more power, but unless you’re pushing 5+ KW, I don’t think that should factor into the choice. Chains are narrower, so if you’re really hurting for a few extra mm of space, that can be a reason. Chains can be more resistant to fouling by snow or other material, which can get packed into a belt drive and break the belt.

Overall unless you have a specific reason to pick chain, I’d go with belt.

Why is the sensorless BLDC mode from the Vesc drawing less current than FOC?

Ive used mine for nearly a year with 12s foc on a high power mtb build. Its been great, even with the vibrations and whatnot. Ive bought alot from flipsky in the past, if something goes wrong they have been very helpful

From my understanding, I won’t gain any additional torque by increasing battery max from 40A to 80A, except when duty cycle is above 50% (motor amps set to 80A).

Is this true? Will 40A battery/80A motor really result in the same torque at low speeds as 80A battery/80A motor?

It doesn’t make sense in my experience, with motor amps set to 80A, every time I’ve increased battery max from 10A to 20A to 30A to 40A I feel like there is a significant increase in low speed torque. Maybe it’s just placebo masked by additional higher speed torque?

1 Like

That is my understanding, yes. Your mileage may vary, but based on all the info I’ve seen, changing the battery max (within reason) doesn’t affect motor torque at low speed. For low battery current settings (10, 20, etc), the “low speed” regime that the battery current doesn’t affect may be very small. It depends on a myriad of factors, including your battery voltage, motor KV, motor impedance/resistance, gearing, etc.

2 Likes

Take a look at this graph. It’s for ebikes rather than esk8, but the concepts are the same. You’ll notice that the peak motor currents are the same, but the graph with the lower battery current begins to tail off before the other. Depending on the motor, controller and battery, the flat part of the blue graph may be very short, or very long.

2 Likes

That’s a great graph, thanks!

One thing that still gets me, and how it translates to real world riding feel, is that the overall power still increases up to the max battery amps.

The fact that a pack that can output double the power of another pack and their torque remains the same is odd. At low speeds, it makes sense. My board feels strong, and it doesn’t feel as strong at high speeds but I can still feel the power. If I were to double that, I just don’t know what it feels like to have double the power (at higher speeds) but the same low speed torque. Basically, the low speed torque continues on into higher speeds I guess, and with equal battery/motor amps, you never feel a loss in torque across the entire range of capable speeds… Hmm… I can’t wait to feel it.

Anything else I shoulder order from TorqueBoards whille putting in my 110mm order? Mainly thinking about pullies I guess. While I’ve been wanting to run a gear drive, it looks like I’m going to have to start with a belt/chain drive since I’m in a bit of a rush.

Two motor keys

Hi, does anyone know what these batteries are like?

Don’t get them they’re only 20c

1 Like

I plan to connect 3 in series and 2 in parallel for 12s 2p

I don’t care 20c Lipos are bad. You must be looking for 40 or more atleast

1 Like

Would it be better to have two of these in series? https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-flightmax-5000mah-6s1p-45c-xt90.html