Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

I think they just in new year holiday now. Let’s hope it’s just the cable than it’s an easy fix :wink:

1 Like

Update:

It definitely was a cable issue. Now I’m connected! Huzzah! :grin: Now my only question is, what the heck am I doing with the VESC tool. I don’t understand any of it! Sheesh! :grimacing: any great tutorial videos out there that explain everything?

2 Likes

Or anyone who’s available to chat via text/facebook message and help me figure out correct settings for my gear on the VESC?

@ADrum707

Rum the wizards. There are boxs on the right of the screen. Remember to hit wright (save) when you make changes before disconnecting.

It was intimidating my first time. (Just a few months ago) Not confident enough to walk you through it myself. But watch the video once or twice.

4 Likes

Thanks so much man! You rock! :smiley:

2 Likes

Also post a screenshot from your main page with motor max/min settings and let us know which cells used in your 10s5p in case you not sure if you set everything right. The Flipsky 4.20 has some values you shouldn’t exceed. If you do you will get cut outs etc. @ADrum707

1 Like

I’m not sure what cells they used @ MBoards, but it’s a 10s5P battery with 50 cells, 10amp hours, 42 volts.

I’m trying to figure out how to set my particular VESC to work both motors with the same remote controller, and if I need to cut my motor values in half since I’m using 2 motors.

As of right now, I’m calculating (mostly guessing) that:

I want to use an FOC configuration, maybe? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

The motor max should probably be set via the equation A=w/v so for me: 2000W(per motor) / 42 volts (battery rating) = 47.6190 Amps, so set my max to 40 amps?

I have no idea what I should set the motor min for, I’ve heard I need to test that. I live in a particularly hilly/steep grade area in the foothills of the blue ridge mountains, so more powerful braking is preferred.

For the battery max, I’ve calculated (more guessing) that with a 10 amp hour battery, and 50 cells, that gives me 500 continuous amps of power. Divided by the two motors, gives me 250 amps to work with? Maybe?

For the battery min I’ve heard you should calculate based on your battery S number, multiplied by 2 cells, so as to not damage the battery being re-charged by the braking. No clue on this either.

Moving on to the battery cutoff voltage values I’ve read that setting these as a minimum of 3.6v * 10S gives me the start, and 3.5v * 10s gives me the end?

Lets start here and see what I can learn from you masters of the VESC :slight_smile:

The Flipsky 4.20 dual is a bit special… Here is a good thread to read through

It also gives you some values you can max set for the controller.

You can use CAN connection (small switch on your esc) so that both sides communicate with each other. One you set up as master one at slave. Your receiver you need to connect to the master and with it you can control both motors.

You battery cut off is good. As you use LiIon you can even set it more low. Like 3.3V and 3V but nothing wrong with the values you choose before.

2 Likes

I’ll give that post a read - are you pretty regularly available on this forum? You’ve been incredibly helpful and I’m sure I’m going to have more questions. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Usually yes :sweat_smile: but at the moment on vacation, so depends on my internet connection and daily activity…

3 Likes

just before i buy these could someone make sure these r right 30q cells https://ru.nkon.nl/checkout/cart/

Please link the right one image

sorry my bad https://ru.nkon.nl/samsung-inr-18650-30q-3000mah.html

1 Like

Looks good! Nkon is a trusted source.

are these trustworthy?

The 30q batteries are what aloe of builders use.

So, I’ve got similar values until we get to the battery current min and max and the regen max… should I try and match his? Are mine too different that I could cause damage?

This is my current mockup of my 10S3P wiring based on an existing e-bike setup I have. Not sure about the placement of the loop key. Thoughts? 10s3pdiagram

would a 10s5p be to much for a mountain board

I’d say about the bare minimum.

2 Likes