NKP 3-link evolution thread

Love the engineering behind this. Front drive too you European you! The Michael Schumacher of esk8

1 Like

IMG_2823

So Iā€™ve made my model finally. I had to make some knex spherical bearings to get it to work.

But thereā€™s something really cool these trucks do, something Iā€™ve been trying to get to work by other means for a very long time.

They donā€™t have a static pivot angle, its progressive. The farther you lean, the more responsive it gets.

Iā€™ve messed with different configurations and Iā€™m not sure exactly whats contributing, but it seems like thereā€™s flexibility to make it REALLY progressive. It could be possible to have a truck that is effectively 0 degrees when youā€™re going straight but then at a full lean it could have a 60 degree pivot angle. Or at least I think, Iā€™ve been messing with this for hours and its really late so I could be smoking crack.

But the application for this progressive pivot angle is really that you compromise less between turning radius and stability.

I think I know how to easily pick up on what the pivot angle is when the deck is flat/going straight. IMG_2826 From a side view, a line from the axle spherical bearing to the baseplate spherical bearings makes up the pivot axis, the axle travel runs perpendicular to that. Thereā€™s no real good side views posted here, but the pivot angle at center on every setup seems much lower. Of course, since the pivot angle is progressive, what angle you start at can go out the window pretty quickly.

Hopefully Iā€™m not too off base, but the more I look at these things the more potential they seem to have.

17 Likes

NKP 3-links equipped with RipTide Bushings just took 1st and 2nd place at the first time ever Barrett Junction Uphill race!

4 Likes

Just a quick teaser for a Zero Degree 3-link designed tor angled deck mounting that accommodates forward and reverse mounting for large or small diameter wheels or changes in desired wheelbase47

7 Likes

this looks awesome, i wonder if the link arms could be jointed to the motor mounts

There are likely several ways to accomplish that, the flat panel welded to the axle clamp locks out any axle torque

Quick update on the 3 link allows room for the 6374 outrunner motors to directly bolt up to the gear drive and race wheel. IMG_20190227_164844073 IMG_20190227_164856366

17 Likes

Looks cleaner everytime I see them!

What speeds you looking at with the current setup?

12kw inrunners on 8s geared for 50mph flat weā€™re getting a sustained 42mph on an 9% grade with 140f esc temps.

11 Likes

42 up hill that is awesome man

1 Like

6374 outrunner development. Gears for sure. Belts could work as well .IMG_20190228_090822322

11 Likes

Uuuuhh, future drive kit in the making! :point_up_2:

1 Like

How long would it take you to swap out the bushings on this bad boy?

Once you have it down it takes about 5 minutes to swap out and setup bushings. A hanger width change would be the same time 5min. Ride height adj takes another minute. Change steer ratio and set track 2min. You can also adj your motor clearance from the ground or deck 2min. Can be set-up for carving 9ā€™ circles or 45mph with a bushing and arm angle adjustment.

7 Likes

holy **** love your posts man. Seems like the future is now :wink: if you know what i mean

1 Like

I think this is a good place to drop it! The evolution continues!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vKajo99k-Q

11 Likes

Looks really nimble!

3 Likes

With some more dialing and tuning, it will be near perfect for go cart track racing. Quick turns, and I accelerate at a rate of 10 mph per second out of them up to 30 mph with little to no speed wobbles. Very interested in seeing how the upcoming k1 race will go!

7 Likes

Let me know if you want me to bring additional bushings.

3 Likes