New VESC from China. Seems like not only Maytech is making VESC's now

Wow what app is that? Looks cool. Edit: think I found it. Is it this one?

1 Like

It was $62 when I bought it. Now itā€™s $85

just search for flipsky

@mtuan293 Yup, thatā€™s it. been working really well and gets regular updates.

Also for anyone interested in the FSVESC V6 but canā€™t meet MOQ, Iā€™m currently selling them at cost for $150+Shipping -Until testing is concluded. https://miamielectricboards.com/shop-1/fsesc-v6

1 Like

You are DAMN fun :joy::joy: Patriotism at itā€™s finest. Just remember that your country is communist, all the info is controlled. Internet is not anonymous, you canā€™t verify information given by your government since you canā€™t criticize it like we do in 90% of countryā€™s in the world. Everywhere in the world Taiwan is considered like Taiwan not belonging to China, even if Chinaā€™s army would try to conquer the island of Taiwan the UN and other Army would interfere and prevent that.

1 Like

just rememberā€¦ 4.12 had plenty of problems, the reason why vesc 6 focbox etc etc etc evolved was because of flaws in this design. You continue to get what you pay for.

@EssEnn how did you upload Ackmaniac FW? iā€™m having toubles uploading it (I/O ports) disconnects before it finish!

Update the bootloader from the vesc tool. Then the firmware

1 Like

use the vesc tool, not the ackmaniac tool! gonna try it now! thanks!

It didnā€™t work, maybe i misses a stepā€¦ Vesc tool Connect Firmware tab Bootloader Choose left side 6.0 Upload

Did i missed any step?

Seems like they should have a this stuff already uploaded. Kinda blows that we are supposed to do all that.

I hope they read the post by @Gamer43 :grinning:

From what Iā€™ve seen, most dead VESCs are the result of a blown DRV83xx chip. (I havenā€™t seen any using the newer generation DRV832x though). And unfortunately, many of these users donā€™t have (access to) the expertise to replace the chip (especially since the PCB doesnā€™t have the exposed ground pad on both layers!! This essentially forces you to use some form of hot air, otherwise it could be done with a soldering iron and patience). This is a highly sophisticated MOSFET gate driver IC that has a lot of things on it that can go wrong, from the bootstrap supply, to charge pump, to the buck converter. The reason for this is because of a few hardware oversights in the VESCā€™s original design, namely, NO TRANSIENT SUPPRESSION. Iā€™ve seen time and time again in application notes, even ones from Texas Instruments themselves, recommending RC snubbers (in this exact applicationā€“motor control, high voltage) be placed very close to the switch nodes, wide and direct gate drive routing, and high side node clamp to clamp negative transients. On both the VESC 4 and VESC 6, the MOSFETs are a significant distance away, with very little in terms of transient suppression. It doesnā€™t help that the MOSFETs on the VESCs are the (very) inferior ones from International Rectifier that have insane Miller Charge and terrible input capacitance values. We are running these chips very close to their Absolute Maximum Ratings, and from what I can tell, not much is done to accommodate for that. And as we saw in the discussion earlier, the 5V regulated output doesnā€™t incorporate an ORing diode, which can cause some users to accidentally blow up their VESCs when using more than one (it also doesnā€™t help that these ā€œanti-sparkā€ switches are low side switches either). Iā€™ve dealt with the problem of exploding gate drivers myself using less sophisticated ICs (mic4605, a piece of junk; adp3120) where the bootstrap driver blows up because of unsuppressed transients (both drivers are 1A drivers and I used very low gate charge MOSFETs, this resulted in very large slew rates on a less than ideal prototype board). The only MOSFET driver that didnā€™t quickly fail on me was the A4960 from Allegro Microsystems. (It still works, although I might have broken some SPI registers).

One of the big issues for hardware design is that the e-skateboard community demands a very small form factor, something that the $50 ebike controller severely lacks. This forces design decisions such as omitting hardware additions that are deemed ā€œless than necessaryā€ (the RC snubbers and transient suppression, filters on the voltage dividers, ORing diodes, etc.) and the use of a highly integrated driver such as a DRV83xx chip in favor of a more rugged design using separate ICs. The DRV83xx is a great chipset, just not when you run it close to its Absolute Maximum Ratings without any hardware accommodations.

12 Likes

@Gamer43 ā€¦ the size is the issue with the eBike controllers, for sure. This said, you seem to understand exactly what needs to be done to fix the VESC once and for all ā€¦ I hope people making them are watching and listening and contact you. Cheers

1 Like

Nope, that is what I did and it worked.

1. 2018 These my pictures were posted on the flipsky homepage (https://flipsky.net) without telling me. I feel bad. I think it is not fair.
2 Likes

hey i bought the flipsky aluminium case for the 4.12 vesc and there is some blue paste where the mostfets make contact, am i right in assuming that is thermal paste?

1 Like

i just setup my flipsky vesc 4.12, used ackmaniac esc tool. No problems. Gonna do a testride today, but looks very promising. I like that they cut the pins under the positive and negative wire.

Yep, the oaste promotes thermal transfer of heat to the case from the fets.

sorry not telling you thatļ¼Œwe have taken your photo off already, i hope not too latešŸ™. Flipsky have a guess world cup contest win your own free FSESC6.6 now, do you want to try it?:clap: