New name for VESC Poll- copyright issue with current name

I may just start calling the VESC the FUCKYEA forever now. I hope you know what you’ve done here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

i’m not a fan of this situation to be honest.

They can call it the Holy Snatch Sniffer for all the fucks i give. I’m still calling them 4.12s, Xs a 6s.

They should have stayed open source. This is bullshit. Somebody better fork it.

3 Likes

But they still are - and will be :thinking:

It technically is open source … it is just that only the reference design will be published (like enertion with the vesc-x) and the source code. It happened because trampa is willing to produce low volume, super high quality VESCs (as Vedder wants) and Vedder is not happy with taking the blame for other websites that sound like his. The trademark now Vedder has got it has to be policed and tbh I am glad he got it and not anybody else in the world. I think forking would be a bad idea - the code seems to have been a good year of work and the reference design will be free to download and use.

i don’t know. It sounds all good on paper but this is how the shit starts. I keep thinking of mysql and oracle.

2 Likes

I don’t think it will turn into a MySQL as Vedder seems to be licensing production to Trampa - he can withdraw it when he wants if quality is not up to scratch (though I think it will be).

? For those of us outside the tech realm what happened there?

A major incumbent in the database industry (ORACLE, been around for decades) basically took over the open source MySQL database engine (which is serious shit btw and probably the most powerful relational database there is, and its free, and made Oracle’s DB look like the idiot dirt eating kid in the sandbox) and started fucking with it causing the community to create a fork called MariaDB. Lots of people were pissed over the whole thing while it was happening because of the obvious conflict of interest.

I just sense a bunch of red flags here, that’s all. Maybe everything’s fine.

3 Likes

I have posted some Pics from the Prototype esk8 Controller in no words. What thinking you about EU.ESK8Controller US.ESK8Controller and AU.ESK8Controller? I hope i see never CN.ESK8Controller LOL.

1 Like

What the hell… Canadian controller could be nice :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Oh sorry i forget CA.ESK8Controller

2 Likes

EU.ESK8controller is not good -> there is at least also UK or was it Lithuania.

otherwise, they are already at phoenix VESC

open-esc.com is already used by Benjamin / Trampa

You must be joking! The Software is Benjamin only and he is the owner of the TM. He is free to drop us at any time. No contract other than verbally expressed willingness for cooperation. HW is not what the project is about. Without the software the controllers will not spin any motor a quarter turn.

With regards to Forks: Do you think anyone can keep up with Benjamin? He thinks there are only a very few people out there who understand the new code fully. Do you think its fair to do that? Grab someone else’s work and claim it for yourself… Its one guy behind the software not a community of coders.

Frank

The domain points at the project site. www.vesc-project.com

Frank

And what would the SW do without the HW ? This seems to me just a way to divert the fact that the open source of the HW is over. People will be allowed to modify the HW without publishing all the informations of the mods. There will be a reference design but one main article of open source licences is that any change made must be published.

True, but the HW license is not enforceable and not worth the paper its written on. We can’t change legislation. So its up to you! Hardware is visible anyway and you can reverse engineer it if you wish so. Software is usually encrypted and can’t be reverse engendered. That is the big difference between those two. HW can be designed in two days, software needs years. Benjamin wants to see more variety in future. So the reference design will be a full scale design that you can adopt or change. Its not “Only a reference design” thing. Its a “yeah man” design.

Frank

(the following sentence is my opinion and it may be wrong) Well, i can imagine that @Ackmaniac can understand the code completly! He has made so many changes to the Software (acceleration curve, watt control, …) which just get adopted in the vesc tool without any mentions. So yes there are People who are improving the Software.

Wrong. ITs more difficult than hardware because hardware you can just shine over a light and see the traces and get the codes off the components. Software has to be run through a debugger and analyzed and decompiled but the same result can be had.

Pardon me for having legitimate concerns. I’ve seen these kinds of deals go bad before.

1 Like

Sure, but before you came in the game, people were implicitly respecting this rule (publish the changes in the HW). Now you basically arrive and say that you will not respect it, but it’s no big deal since it is not possible to enforce it.

You take things the wrong way around ! Open source is very much in the spirit. You may legally respect it (in the words). Whether you are respecting it in the spirit, this is much more questionable. And I have the impression that this is the heart of the problem. People feel (and regarding the HW, they have a point) that you are using the open source-ness for your interest and this is not what the open source has been designed for. If you were really into the opensource, you would also release all plans of your Trampa-VESC design as this is the rule for an open source project. You say that it is not mandatory and that it could be done in two days … but you still don’t publish it. Having that in mind, your claims of beeing the white knight of the open-source and the savior of the opensource future of the VESC project are somewhat more difficult to swallow.

Its fine to have concerns! Benjamin does not want to exclude anyone or the like. So this will not change!

Frank