Kingfisher Drive (Project dead, at least for now.)

ALRIGHTY THEN what do you people want

• With Idler
  • Without Idler
  • With Belt Cover
  • Without Belt Cover
  • With Bearing Seal
  • Without Bearing Seal

0 voters

If you have no preference between two options, vote for both.

Since having an idler seems like a popular request, hereā€™s a potential placement. Uses an 8x22x11mm bearing.

Depicted is a 20T and 40T gearing setup. These would be the maximum sizes available.

idler

Thoughts?

2 Likes

The idler seems too deep inside, but then again I donā€™t know efficiency losses due to this. Maybe negligible. Another factor is stress on the belt.

Whether itā€™s deep or not, the belt still has to bend around the same radius. AFAIK this would be the same resistance as any other 22mm idler system.

1 Like

ALRIGHT! Final post for the night.

Cover that fits a 107mm wheel with 20T pinion pulley with 40T wheel pulley Cap%20Large cap%20Large%202

Cover that fits a 90mm wheel with 13T pinion pulley with 40T wheel pulley Cal%20Small Cap%20Small%202

I went ahead and designed a belt cover. Because of the idler, the cover can extend all the way from the motor pulley right to the wheel pulley. Iā€™ll eventually make a repository of all pulley size and wheel size combinations. All free to 3d print.

I actually really like this belt cover, itā€™s the first design Iā€™ve made that Iā€™m actually satisfied with. It must be used with hubless motor pulleys. (or I could make a hole, it all depends on what you guys wanna use.)

Eventually Iā€™ll release all CAD files in a .step format. But not until I test this stuff.

Goodnight All!

PS: ditching the bearing seal in the interest of reducing cost.

4 Likes

Looks great @TowerCrisis

1 Like

The screws that are keeping the belt cover in place are also holding the motor to the mount?

no, there is a separate set of 4 underneath the cover.

2 Likes

For all who have been following this thread and whoā€™ve already read it, Iā€™ve updated the original post with the final design.

Hopefully thereā€™s enough demand for 10 or so sets? (20 sides total)

Thatā€™d be a relatively good start just to get them out there and tested.

3 Likes

Iā€™d love to get in on the first run of these. Need something for 50xx motors to help replace these deathtrap mounts. Weā€™re do i sign up? Whatā€™s your time frame look like for first batch?

I have a pair of Calibers and 107s for my commuter build and I like the way your pulley cover hugs close to the wheel in the sketch and doesnā€™t leave room for things to fly into the belt. I plan on running a single 6374 with an 8mm shaft for weight savings so this mount looks like it would work perfectly so far.

Sounds like a great build! Hopefully Iā€™ll have the first batch out soon enough.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s for those who actually plan on getting one, so I can estimate how big of an initial lot is needed.

• Single Motor
  • Dual Motor
  • I voted before but donā€™t think Iā€™ll be buying it :man_shrugging:

0 voters

Itā€™s for US people only right?

Depends. Iā€™m in the market for affordable (not cheap but not $$$)mounts for 50xx motors on caliber trucks. I like the look of these, but looks like thereā€™s only a few of us looking for anything atmā€¦

I was interested in some inexpensive mounts too, but then DIY had labor day sale and I snagged a pair of reverse for $90. I wish I could buy them for a max of $20 per piece.

Seems like it, although Iā€™m sure demand will increase once Iā€™ve got pictures of an actual set on trucks working.

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s what I was thinking

1 Like

If you need a tester, I daily my board to work 7 days a week.
What do you think a small batch run would cost?

1 Like

a price range would be good. i know depends on how many order but a starting point would be nice.

1 Like