New Hummie Hubs!

I thought u had a set?

Alright guys update time!!! These hubs are freaking amazing and youā€™re in for your moneyā€™s worth. So I will personally be comparing these to the raptor 2, Carvon v3, early hummie hubs and go from there. First things first these single handedly beat the Carvon v3 and early hummie hubs in torque flat out. They have almost the same if not equal torque as the raptor 2 even without sensors. I only clocked about 20 miles on them today but they stayed relatively cool and I could touch the motor can without burning my hand however it was of course warm. Now while I know we all wanted these much sooner hummie took the time to get good materials and tires because after 220 miles these tires are showing no cracks, Iā€™ll try to clock some more mileage tmrw Iā€™m sort of working through a few issues still, but so far I donā€™t have anything bad to say about them except that I prefer a dark color urethane to white but who cares when you get a well preforming product, Iā€™m trying to obliterate these motors this week with a massive battery and tons of hills and mileage but so far the ride is soooii much smoother than the raptor 2 and nearly as smooth as the Carvonā€™s

9 Likes

If anyone has questions or things they would like to see feel free to ask, hummie Gave me the green light to put on as much testing as possible. Oh and btw I got to see his shelves full of motors too so yes it is a real product that will be delivered soon. The wait for the tires is well worth it considering some companyā€™s have gotten such a big aspect of this wrong.

4 Likes

Are they terminated in delta or wye

1 Like

Sounds awesome to hear , seems like we should expect them late July/August.

@Hummies once you get all of the current orders out whats your plans for the V4?

My only question is what noise the drive makes? And how is braking compared to V3? What is the top speed you had

Wye 10 char

Thanks, how much will the new motors be for dual, and will there be a 100mm thane option?

Some guy on eBay was offering 100mm slide on urethane for the China hubs

im not selling anymore at the moment. waiting till the tires come first and everyoneā€™s who already ordered is out the door

2 Likes

:frowning: okay 10char

I just canā€™t wait for mine even tho I have no board to use them :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Sameā€¦ i just want to hold them and appreciate the pure beauty of the things :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have litterally had a deck and FocBoxes waiting on these for a year :grinning:

5 Likes

I have the focbox for these since the huge Black Friday offer. Just sitting around, I hope as well @lukepl finishes his integrated deck project at the same time than hummies will send the hubs :slight_smile:

@Hummie Just curious if there is any cogging in these motors, and how you prevent that. Iā€™ve read that fractional slot motors are inherently less likely to cog than integral slot motors. Any way we can get more data on the motors? (Poles, phases, Kv, Kt, etc) I understand if you havenā€™t tested for specs, Iā€™ve just become more curious as Iā€™ve been reading about motors.

1 Like

Cogging is caused by vesc setting, rider weight, and your battery. Now these arenā€™t sensored so if you donā€™t want to push off then you need to configure the right settings for yourself

Thatā€™s not the type of cog @RyBelnap is talking about. Cogging torque is the tendency a motor has to align in a given position and how strong this force is, a motor with less cog rolls longer, but for our application we donā€™t need a very low cogging torque since we have lots of inertia given the size of the motors

When you spin the motor in your hand and fell it resisting, thatā€™s the cogging torque

But, a motor cogging in startup has nothing to do with cogging torque. When resting, the current iteration of FOC has no way to know what position the motor is, so it just start switching the phases and hopes that the motor follows until the speed is sufficient that it can track the motor, if that doesnā€™t happen the motor will cog (vibrate) since the torque produced itā€™s not enough to overcome inertia

In BLDC mode the VESC uses high frequency injection to determine where the rotor is, so even without sensors the startup is better than FOC in more demanding situations, if Iā€™m not mistaken high frequency injection on FOC in on Bemjaminā€™s todo list

3 Likes

its a 12 tooth 14 magnet combo with concentrated windings. 3phase. kv typically 85. (i think you mean cogging as in more rotation resistance and less ability to coast) id like to get less cogging but limited to this 12 tooth stator at the moment. maybe in the future get more teeth and keep it concentrated winding as while it seems concentrated is not ideal for reducing cogging itā€™s better for overall power output i think. i wonder how mellow is getting such low cogging. maybe they changed from their 12 tooth stator or maybe theyā€™re still using it.

changing from 9 to 10mm wide magnets showed a nice reduction.

1 Like

If anyone is looking to sell their spot Iā€™m definitely interested! I remember being hella interested in getting these over a year ago and then life got in the way, so Iā€™m bummed Iā€™ve missed the pre-order window.

Also insanely impressed with this development thread and the constant updates, nice going Hummie and co.

1 Like

They have a modular stator, so each teeth is almost in contact with each other, this way the cogging torque goes down a lot

0720fe0433047f9c522fe3e3d1800c6ea251c36f_1_666x500

6 Likes