New designed a motor mount for sale, looking for review

yes, saw you PM, already replied!

This might come across as rude, but, no one is being forced to buy or install the idler pulleys with their motor mounts. Every person can build their board however they want, thatā€™s what makes them great. If you donā€™t want idlers on your board, donā€™t put idlers in your board. Simple as that. If you have a setup with strong brakes and good acceleration that doesnā€™t skip teeth, great. Personally I donā€™t, so I run the idlers, even if it sacrifices a couple hundred feet of range.

1 Like

I donā€™t consider your comment rude @Jellybean I just donā€™t think your seeing the entire picture. Also, I donā€™t know why you got the impression I was trying to tell you or anyone else what to do with their own builds. I was not and never would do that. I was simply expressing my opinions to Dickyho. Secondly, itā€™s not ā€œa couple feet of rangeā€ that concerns me, iIf that was my entire concern Iā€™d be a real douchebag lol. What concerns me is the constant extra work my motor would be subject to with the extra drag from the idlers. This extra work creates heat which diminishes performance and eventually breaks down components. This extra work also creates more constant tax on my battery which also causes more heat (a batteryā€™s worst enemy) which, in turn, breaks down the battery cells faster. So my concern is not for a few dollar belt or a couple hundred feet of range. My concern is for the vital and most expensive parts of my setup, the motors and the battery. But these opinions are my own and Iā€™m not asking anyone else to agree with me or to change their opinions or actions because oi anything I say. Actually, please donā€™t take my (or anyone elseā€™s for that matter) opinions for anything other than food for thought. Everyone should always do their own research and develop their own opinions. I would suggest however, that ā€œneedingā€ to use the idlers is just the symptom of other underlying problems and that when you finally get your setup correct (the right size pulleys & belts, the best center to center distance for your pulleys, motor mounts mounted solidly, VESC setup properly for your build, etcā€¦) that you will not have the need for idlers anymore. Also (like I previously stated to Dickyho), if you do need them, why not use toothed idler pulley(s) the belts ride the outside of which actually reduce wear and can increase speed and/or torque? But again, these opinions are my own and Iā€™m certainly not trying to tell you or anyone else that they should agree with me, or what they should or shouldnā€™t do with their own builds. Have a good day man and Getcha Roll On!

From what I have found in my small amount of experience in esk8 is frictional heat generated is very little compared to the variations you can get in riding style. Also, lithium batteries do have a optimal temperature that they perform best at, which I believe is around 80F, so some warming isnā€™t terrible. I have never found my LiPo batteries to get overly warm from my skateboard the way they can in my RC cars. Kind of a ā€œhow you drive, not what you driveā€ scenario.

Maybe its my background in robotics, but to me running belts means running tensioners close to the sources of high torque to keep teeth from skipping. Where as idlers in chain systems are more for reducing slack. We all could run chains and rarely need idlers but have a noisy drivetrain that also requires more maintenance. Thatā€™s a choice made when building, but chain drivetrains are harder to find in our application.

Perhaps you could explain these toothed idler pulleys, I am having a hard time picturing it?

@ SlimSh8y, @ Jellybean

idler pulley with teeth, do you mean like this? 20190703021107

1 Like

@dickyho Thatā€™s what Iā€™m thinking of, but Iā€™m not sure how it could increase speed/torque as @SlimSh8y mentioned

@SlimSh8y Lol toothed idler pulley, what are you even rambling about?

The whole point of the idler is to engage more teeth on the motor pulley. Thatā€™s it. A toothed idler would be doing the opposite.

Idlers originally came about because there was only a limited gear ratio you could(due to small wheel size usually). People wanted to gear up for higher speed. This would leave you with a small motor pulley which most people found skips. Hence the idlers to engage more teethā€¦

7 Likes

This makes for an even lesser teeth in contact with the belt. Youā€™ll get a hell of alot of belt skipping with this design.

4 Likes

What? Toothed idler pulley? Why?

1 Like

lol, exactly this. just use an idler to prevent belt skip if you have it

LOL wtf is this. Itā€™s like slimsh8y doesnā€™t have any idea what heā€™s talking about. Leave the engineering to the engineers. An idler like that not is not only pointless, as others have said, REDUCES teeth engagement causing an increase in skipping. And contrary to your thinking that it reduces friction, it actually increases it because the total surface area of contact is greater with teeth than smooth.

It would be better to simply tighten the belt than to use a toothed idler like that.

1 Like

@dickyho Do you plan to stock 18T 8mm Steel pulleys with keyway on your ebay store again anytime soon?

Hi. already ordered the production of those 18T 8mm Steel pulleys with keyway pulleys days ago, will got them very lately.

1 Like

I have 2 mounts, Idlers & Cross bracing on order from Dicky.

Will post pics of build

1 Like

Have looked through the thread quickly and just trying to figure out spacing for my build on standard 180mm trucks with centerset 97mm wheels. What is the thickness of the motor portion of these mounts as shipping today? Is it still 4.5mm?

Hi. is 6mm thick now.

hello, new builder here and slowly buying all parts i need for the project. been watching your eBay listing then i saw this topic :+1:t3:

iā€™ve already bought a pair of 17mm wheel pulleys from your other ebay store i believe. do you have this parts in stock now?

• (2x) Long Version Motor Mounts (TB218 Caliber Truck in Black or Raw finish)
  • (3x) Crossbars
  • (2x) pulley covers
  • (4x) 15mm belt for 15/36 gearing
  • (2x) 15mm idlers

Hi. I have all items you need, except only have blue colour long caliber mounts .

1 Like

@dickyho I wish I had youā€™re awesome 3d modeling skills. Could you make a revised version of the pulley cover .stl file with a little extra material on the bottom to protect the mounts and the motors from getting banged up? It would be cool for going over curbs and for making the motors and mounts last longer. I got the idea when I saw Hoyt St. motor mount protectors.

1 Like

Hi, im interested in dual 6354 setup but i couldnt find if it has been fixed with the retainer ring, thanks!