Nano-W | Nano Remote Mod [Updated and Re-uploaded]

I added it between the power switch and the usb port. On another Nano-W I put it under the screw (the bottom one).

2 Likes

I also thought of another way to make the thumbwheel super safe and just more premium. Imagine if the thumbwheel was a full circle, with a hole in the middle for a small bearing and a mount for the bearing in the casing. The potentiometer gets moved to the bottom left of the wheel with itā€™s shaft inside it. Here is a terrible drawing:

Thats a good idea im going to add those tonight before the ride. Ill be testing one on the group ride and im bringing an extra to see if anyone else wants to ride with a nano w

That would be arguably more dangerous because for that to work the shaft of the potentiometer would have to constantly slide in and out of the thumb wheel and that can cause a wonky trigger feel and very fast wear in the plastic.

humm, I didnā€™t consider the wear caused by the friction, thatā€™s not ideal. The wheel would be pushing the shaft left and right tho and I donā€™t think it would be a problem if some material at the tip of that triangle got worn down. My original suggestion a few posts up is probably simpler tho which was to not create a ā€œslotā€ for the thumbwheel inside the casing and instead make the thumbwheel hole for potentiometer shaft tight and just deep enough.

1 Like

Trip report.

I made 2 of these remotes and i brought them to the group ride last night i used one and another friend used the other for the entire ride. The remote is amazing i love the feel in the hand and we both loved the longer trigger throw especially on our fast boards. The boards no longer felt twitchy just super smooth.

I only wish the index finger grove was a complete circle like the winning remote so that i can open palm the remote with out dropping it, i like to do this to give my hand a rest from time to time.and helps dry the hand sweat.

1 Like

Ewww noā€¦ maybe add some fabric or something for the sweat on the handle. I hate that ā€œcircle around the index fingerā€ look

1 Like

I really like how the entire remote is. Only thing id like to see is 4 screw holes instead of 3. But honestly this is my favorite 3d printed remote by far. Dont fix whats not broken! Lol

Did you modify your thumbwheel at all to make it smoother?

Not in the print i just did about 30 seconds worth of sanding on the thumbwheel. It made everything work smoothly.

taking advise from @gmurad iā€™m modifying the hole that the joystick pokes into the thrumbwheel. so that the inner circle is not rested on the case anymore. I am still making a few adjustment to make it absolutely right. hopefully i can get it nailed down by tonight. if it all goes well. all you need is print a new thrumbwheel and not the entire case.

2 Likes

@gmurad try this one and let me know. file is on thingiverse named ā€œNano-W Thumb Wheel 2 v2ā€. image

the two holes are slightly offset so you can flip it around to see which side is looser.

15556584189618912264842689825666 15556583575508754025113081533316

2 Likes

Gonna give this bad boy a try tomorrow.

Thanks @Winfly! I printed a few and itā€™s massive improvement.

I had to take 0.2mm out from one side (PCB side) and 0.75mm from the other side (just using windows 10 3d builder). With the original width it could still get stuck in the casing if I pressed the case hard. (This is the limit of my current 3d modeling skill)

Now regarding the circle thickness, under certain circumstances I can still make the inner circle rub against the casing and make it stick, are you able to thin the thumb wheel a bit more? Itā€™s really close to being fool proof and tolerating 3d printers with some dimensional inaccuracies.

Not Sure what iā€™m doing wrong.

I canā€™t seem to get it fit, wether its the case or the thumbwheel. if i look at @gmurad 's print, holy shit thats clean. The slits are way to small for the insert.

Using Ender 3 with 0.2mm Heavy sanding to make it look ā€œgoodā€

Printing took 4 1/2 hours.photo_2019-05-17_17-26-11 photo_2019-05-17_17-26-18 photo_2019-05-17_17-26-23

Iā€™m noticing a bit of bubbling in your top layers. What material are you printing with?

The whole print is wobbly maybe extrusion multiplier too high and not enough top layers.

PLA. I never had so much bubbling tbh.

Totally forgot the great work of winfly. Had it in my thingiverse collection since last year :see_no_evil:

Today I did a rough print. Man I love it! What an improvement!

20190518_213837~2 20190518_213903~2

1 Like

Could we get an STP version for editing? I have a van pro china mote that just barely doesnā€™t fit in the housing. While a lighter and some tools help for fitment, Iā€™d love to remix it so its a perfect fit.