My obsession with idler pulleys

@PatRocks there wasn’t an old setup. This is a new build. The 72T belts came with the Evolve AT conversion kit but are to short.

@flywithgriff I just realized what you mean. how many wheel teeth? and does the 16 tooth deficiency include the Idler pulley, or not?

The deficiency does include the idler pulley. The belt is pretty loose so I’m assuming account for another tooth loss to balance that out. If Ann my math is correct I should be good to go with 405 belts.

I would recommend that you calculate the min and max, and figure out an average. Hows it all looking?

I’m getting a max of 425 and a min of 390, went with 405 as it’s middle of the road. The board is slowly coming together, I’ll get pics of the idlers up tomorrow.

Sweet! I hope that all works out for ya. I can’t help but wonder if the bolt you chose will be strong enough…

I actually changed the bolts for hardened bolts that I got in a pack of 1 1/4" truck hardware.

I really like this design, I tracked down some 20mm spacer just like that. They take a 6mm bolt, and you can fit 8mm bearing on them. I’m hope this will give me the lowest profile idle possible.

That’s the same ones I used.

The 638 bearing with a 8mm ID and a OD of 28mm would be a good compromise for some if they have the room.

Oooh, 28mmOd! I might switch to that

405 belts came in today and are much to short. I used a piece of 14awg wire and wrapped it in the belt path. The belt needs to be 18" long. This comes out to be 450mm but that is with the motor in its furthest position. And ideas what to order?

Maybe cut one, staple it to the other belt you cut earlier to measure it? Otherwise I’d lay it all out on paper, draw the shapes and measure that way…?

1 Like

Are there any advantages to using skate bearing over an idler that @banjaxxed linked?

Total cost of the mod is $5!!

1 Like

I cut an additional belt and stapled the two together. After wrapping them in the belt path I have found I need an 88T belt. That would be a 440mm belt correct?

If that’s a good, tight measurement, with motor in center position, I’d say go for it. How much are you looking at per belt? I ordered a range of them plus and minus one tooth so I would be sure to get one that fit. Because I didn’t draw it out and do the geometry, I ended up with some belts I’ll never use because they dont fit.

That’s the issue, with the motor all the way in I’m at an 85t belt and fully extended im at an 89T belt. Therefore, to have adjustment and clearance from the hanger I need an 86T-88T. Apparently, there’s no such thing.

I use these because they are cheap and high quality. Not one I’ve used shows signs of wear! D&D PowerDrive 440-5M-15 Timing Belt, Rubber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ISC5KC0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_SfmMzb4DNGH9M

And they have every size I’ve tried

Search “4xx-5m-15” and it should pop up.

D&D PowerDrive 435-5M-15 Timing Belt, Rubber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ISC5HUA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_CjmMzb47MG92Q