My obsession with idler pulleys

@PatRocks, that makes sense. Thanks for the reply, I will definitely give the longer reverse motor mounts a try.

EDIT : Realized I still have one question though, what is the advantage or running belts supper loose. Wouldn’t it contribute to power lag?

1 Like

It will wipe the motor bearings and can cause the shaft to walk out. Additionally, it can cause misalignment of the wheel and motor mount. Plus, if you have zero slack in the belt, guess what will happen if a stick or rock gets in there…

1 Like

@C23 @PatRocks I actually have a few dual bearing tensioner version for Reverse. You can PM if you want it.

1 Like

Free? Thanks I’ll take 2!!! Awfully generous of you :rofl::sunglasses:

1 Like

@PatRocks - Almost :slight_smile:

1 Like

@chaka and others In your experience do idler pulleys increase efficiency? I would think they would do just the opposite, but I have seen people say otherwise? Curious what you thought.

The benefit of a well-placed Idler simply increases the number of belt-teeth in-mesh with the motor pulley by changing the angle of the belt relative to the motor pulley. In the wrong place (too close to the wheel pulley), an idler will stress the belt system, causing unnecessary strain and decreasing efficiency. The increase of teeth in mesh, for a properly placed idler, allows greater loading capability at reduced belt tension. Trust me, the benefit of a looser belt to overall efficiency is greater than the increased resistance of the additional bearing & belt flex!! This info is above (somewhere)!!

1 Like

Apologies for bring back a old thread from the dead but I came across this forum while researching idler pulley setups for E-skates and the information on here was very useful to setting up a idler pulley on my D.I.Y modified evolve so thought I’ll share my setup.

Loose belt tension with zero belt slip :ok_hand:

1 Like

Sick! Glad to be helpful

1 Like

I have some idlers just in case. Never mounted them. I run LOOSE belts. But found that my braking and accel are soft. The belts DONT like flexing in reverse. They are manufactured with the curve.

Perhaps running the idlers on INSIDE. To keep bend right.

1 Like

Mine go like this. This is the ideal method, as the depth of the idler prevents ant possibility of belt slip.

These motor plates allow for a LOT of adjustment, and don’t sacrifice structural integrity by having an open slot.

It is my educated opinion, that an idler on the “acceleration” side of the belt, is counterproductive to belt drive longevity.

1 Like

NO, I mean shoving the belt to the outside. But that wouldnt increase sprocket coverage angles.

The idler pulley works so well on my DIY I want to try and rig something up on my stock standard evolve but I don’t think the standard motor mounts are long enough.

1 Like

I managed to rig up a idler pulley on a standard evolve Turns out it was easier then suspected.