My obsession with idler pulleys

Idler or no idler when using an 18T motor pulley? What’s the general opinion on this?

2 Likes

unnecessary imo.

i’m still confused on how you make belts with teeth…:thinking:

1 Like

Magic! :wink:

1 Like

Nice modeling!!

Idler pulleys are not necessary, but they are useful! My belts are several hundred miles old, and they’re still in great shape. I can still read the writing on them :sunglasses:

1 Like

So, are you saying that idlers major advantage is belt longevity? more than belt skipping or efficient torque (grabbing more teeth)?

1 Like

To me, the main point for a longer longevity (and others equipment like motor shaft bearings) is the belt tension. The belt can run with less tension thanks to the great coupling with the motor pulley. I really felt the difference switching from a 6355 no idler to a 6374 with idler.

Before, I couldn’t trigger an emergency braking without having the belt slipping. Now, even with a stronger motor, I can do so, with a belt less stressed. :wink:

The downside however is a worst coasting.

1 Like

Exactly what @Pimousse said. Being able to go slack on the belt tension is beneficial to not only the hardware, but to the overall ride quality as well.

1 Like

@Deckoz any recommendation on belt size? I’m currently using the 265mm belt on the TB V4 foward facing motor mount.

Will the cleaning schedule (removing every 2 weeks) create any unnecessary wear on your motor threads? Are you using locktite on these motor mount bolts?

Thanks for your help!

Hi

I don’t run them anymore but I ran 280mm belts on the forward mounts.

As far as motor screws… I left them tight and belt on and walked the wheel off :wink: @monsterbuilder

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. How come you don’t run the belt tensioners any more? Did you find something better?

I run 20mm wide belts super loose on metroboard pulleys now. If I was still on 15mm belts or less…I’d run idlers…

Okay thanks. What I was wondering on my first question was: I’m assuming you have to remove the bolts off the motor mount to clean the idler bearings. Sounds like those bearings need regular maintenance. If so, does that create wear on the motor mount bolts?

Ah no I didn’t notice any wear. I don’t locktite motor bolts. I rely on torque. So no I didn’t notice wear Cleaning them…

1 Like

https://www.kugellager-express.de/stuetzrolle-natr8-8x24x15-mm

this where i buy all my stuff concering bearings ect

1 Like

I have them as solid works files https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1q9GisJy4tHN1JiSlZubmVpaUk?usp=sharing 408d9e40f756a5ecfea5460b94f4091d5a393ff1_1_630x499

3 Likes

This thread is so cool. I was making my own CNC-machined aluminium mount and had a lot of issues with skipping with its 3DPrinted predecessor so I thought, why not make it a beast while I’m at it? This is my contribution, 280mm*15mm belt with dual idlers On a 36T - 16T ratio. Truly grateful for all the tips and tricks I learned from all of you!IMG_20180821_204245

4 Likes

I didn’t read every post in this thread, so forgive me if I am missing something, but other than giving the belt more contact with the drive pulleys, wouldn’t idler pulleys just waste energy. In automotive applications I believe the main reason for using them is when there is a slight angle the belt has to get around, as seen in the one posted here. What is the advantage of an idler pulley for esk8? Also, curious, has anyone made a setup using a spring tension for their belt?

Hi @PatRocks

I am running the exact same deck and have had some problems running the torqueboards normal motor mounts for a reverse setup, because they are not able to adjust to the correct position. I noticed that you said you were running the torqueboards reverse motor mounts. Are you running a different clamp on the trucks, or are the reverse mounts set up for proper adjustment range in reverse. I know its kinda a nuisance question and off topic, but I wanted to make sure before I purchased the new mounts. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

The @torqueboards reverse mounts are long enough to totally clear the base plate, and still have room for full adjustability. I’m using the closed D-ring clamps that so many people have trouble with (lol). I love them, never got loose even once. Great product

5 Likes

I’m running a 15t motor pulley, and without the idlers I either have to overtighten the belts, or they skip like machine gun fire. Idlers allow me to run loose belts without the risk of skipping

3 Likes