Mounting your Enclosure

these still sometimes come loose. ive been adding some epoxy to the outer threads before installing them.

1 Like

Any specific expoxy or will any work?

i used jb weld. sparingly.

That’s what I use

I don’t use any glue/epoxy on inserts and have been fine. Be sure it is a good tight fit into the wood. The softer the deck, the smaller the pilot holes.

But, it is never a bad idea! Just be sure to use very sparingly to not harm the threads.

3 Likes

Put them in halfway without anything, then used loctite 648. Made sure no loctite got in through the slots at the end.

also practice the right drill bit size on a blank piece of wood first .lol

3 Likes

If the insert starts to push up take it out and drill out the hole to the next size

Just to clarify, did you mean the green loctite 290?

1 Like

I think he meant on the outside so it bonds with the wood.

Yep but his picture shows green loctite. I don’t think loctite makes a 628 version of anything (they make 638). Just trying to clarify for future readers.

maybe it was a typo

Actually it’s 648 lol

Haha go figure. Thanks for clarifying!

I am curious what size drill bit you will end up using. My inserts are m3 and I had to use drill bit 4.5mm. 4 was way too small and 5 was too big. let us know :slight_smile:

also factor in the tapered ends of drill bits. make sure you drill deep enough to account for those or you will end up with a insert that wont go all the way in and be very difficult to pull out to drill a longer hole. Thats why I used m3 x 6mm inserts on a 10mm thick trampa deck. in reality, i probably drilled about 8mm into the deck but that last 2mm or so cant be used because of the taperedness of drill bits. .

I’m using m4s on a deck that’s about 10mm thick. I’m going to line up the deck with my drill press table and set the max stop depth of the bit to just beneath the top of my deck. The correct drill bit to use is the one that is the same thickness of the bolt shaft minus the threads. This is true for all wood screws/inserts.

1 Like

Look really really good! Do you remember the size of the drill bit you use to make the hole for the m5hardware?

1 Like

I don’t remember what size drill bit honestly I used m5 hardware most people use m4.

I found the right size by test drilling a cheap deck I have till I found the right size but it’s been a while since then.

2 Likes

Line up the drill bit with the threaded insert.

Pick the drill bit that is closest to the shaft diameter. not the threaded part, the solid cylinder

Use it.

2 Likes

Thanks man

Any time man. Use a spare socket wrench head as a stop collar so your drill bit only pokes out the exact depth you need and it doesn’t poke through

1 Like

You can use calipers to find the diameter of the insert then google drill bit size chart in and then you will have the size you need