Might have short circuited balance lead

Just keep track of the order of the wires as you disconnect them. Stick a bit of tape on each wire and write a number on each one…

Yeh that’s what I’m doing

Can I do this?

Or do I have to connect the new balance lead wires directly to the batteries themselves?

You look like you’re asking for trouble from that photo… If the battery gets bumped and a couple of those wires on the battery start touching you’re gonna start getting a lot of sparks.

Cover those balance wires that’re connected to the battery properly before you do anything else and if you’re asking these sorts of questions I would recommend you do a bit more research into how to handle these batteries before you do anything else…

Ok. Some issues I see in that photo. First I think some of the things suggested here are a bit dangerous if you aren’t 100% sure what you are doing. Best practice is to cut a single wire on one end of the connector, strip, solder to same position on new connector, insulate, check, insulate again and then move to next wire.

You have way away to much wire striped for a simple solder.

Curl up the wire ends so they are not frayyed. That way it is less likely a wire strand will wonder around.

You cut the wire ends at different lengths. That is going to be a pain when you finish with each wire being a different length.

Lot of shortable wires not insulated to close one another. This had been said

1 Like

Please CAREFULLY get that onto a concrete floor and off of carpet. That is an extremely fragile firestarter. Before anything is created, it needs to be made safe first. If two of those wires coming from the battery touch, you have a large problem.

Only ever work on one wire at a time, and only after every single other wire is insulated and there is no metal exposed.

3 Likes

Cut the wires one at a time, insulating the end of each wire with a bit of tape or something between each cut

Kinda assumed that this would have been enough information to go off but apparently not :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually my intention went a bit further. I’m not suggesting to cut and insulate one at a time. I’m suggesting to cut, solder in destination and insulate definitively one a time. That way additionally to safe you don’t need to keep track off wire order

Ok thanks for all the safety notes guys. After insulate the wires can I attach them like that without opening up the battery.

If you knew how to solder safely to the Lipo tabs it would be preferable to have direct wires instead of patched up ones. But this is very risky. You need the knowledge and the tools so its better if you solder wire to wire and insulate with care

1 Like

So I finished soldering the wires for the battery to the wires from the balance lead, plugged into my imax and the battery meter read off each cell perfectly!! Thanks for all the help guys!!

Please tell me each balance wire is properly insulated separately underneath that tape?

5 Likes

good god what is that. PLEASE take that big outer wrap off and show us the solder joints and the individual wire insulation

I almost shit my pants then I saw those open wires on LIPO

4 Likes

Please dont start a fire

Me too. On carpet. I think I can say it’s a good thing that building still exists and didn’t burn down.

1 Like

i mean… it’s been 4 hours since he’s visited the forum so i’m not totally sure that building is still standing…

3 Likes

this… this is trolling, right?

I really, really hope so

2 Likes

A live feed would have been nice.

2 Likes