Metr Pro - Next Gen Bluetooth Module

You and me both! Just received 2 Metr Pros last week for future builds using Unity… Did the metr team consider just making an adapter instead of a new module? Not sure what are the constraints there.

Hopefully someone will come up with a more streamlined way to use the internal UART port in the Unity. I want to use a Metr pro and a DaveGA at the very least and maybe a custom remote in the future(seems like you can’t have more then 2 devices tho)

2018/2019 seems to be a year where a lot of “telemetry” options are available, I feel that the ecosystem as a whole has a lot of redundant efforts going on, imagine the same build using Metr pro, DaveGA and one of the Firefly variant remotes… It would be amazing is this was standardized in some way where you can get all of it in 1 solution.

Technically one NRF 51/52 module is enough To get telemetry, connect to VESC-Tool and run a remote controller connection simoultaniously. The VESC code base is open source for a reason. Redundant module instalation is sort of silly from a technical point of view. If you start to run out of uart ports, you should ask yourself why that is the case.

1 Like

I totally agree and that’s the point I’m making. I wonder what it will take to standardize or to reduce redundancy of the solutions. Metr is not open source but I feel it’s the closest “entity” that could expand their efforts to provide an onboard telemetry screen and then eventually a remote controller receiver, a headlight/breaklight controller all in one pcb.

The modules are pretty standard, it is a matter of the software/FW and/or purposely built in software locks. Technically there is no reason why a random NRF 51/52 module shouldn’t be able to connect to your Phone/App, telemetry device, remote etc. You end up using two or more nearly identical BLE Modules for no other reason than a business strategy (e.g. Software only works with the hardware I sold you, UUID locked).

We will try our best to offer FW updates for the Open Source-based NRF modules via VESC-Tool and we will bang on remote controller and telemetry solutions that work with a wide range of NRF modules available today. The idea is that you will only need one module and keep it updated FW wise. Benjamin Vedder spent quite some time on coding a FW that allows to use one module for many purposes, so that you can have a remote controller connection, VESC-Tool connection and telemetry at the same time via the same NRF module that can be upgraded via the VESC.

In other words: It is there already.

All you need is a open source NRF module solution and cheap small android skate phone in your pocket or strapped to the board.

3 Likes

Any ETA on the new nrf based remotes?

1 Like

is it done yet… is it done yet… is it done yet… is it done yet… is it done yet… is it done yet…

1 Like

So is it worth it?

And did i get it right - I can program the whole VESC on the go and i can even program different speed modes and activate them via Smartphone. Even with the TB Vesc 410 (4.12)?

Green LED flashing means that no UART connection is detected. Makes sure that you enable UART output of your VESC. You will see the green LED going solid when a UART connection is established which is necessary to receive data. When I remember correctly some people reported that they have trouble with Ackmaniac 3.103 firmware so staying on 3.102 is maybe a good idea.

I would say it is worth it. :smile: Yes, you can program your VESC on the go, program different speed modes and activate them via smartphone and log all your rides via smartphone. Do you have a link to that hardware to be sure it is working? When it is VESC based (from the name it sound its based on the HW4.12) and has a UART port available it will work fine.

2 Likes

Well that sounds great.

The VESC i use is from torqueboard

Product link

1 Like

That’s the normal VESC HW4.12 so it will work.:+1:

2 Likes

@rpasichnyk - I might be wrong about this, but I tried to understand. Look at the next post as well.

Not tried this before - but wanted to get the latest VESC FW on the VESC, which I believe is 3.55. Metr says I am up to date with version 3.39. Sholdn’t I be able to update to the newest version?

So I am not sure what the log says, of course. But I am guessing :slight_smile: It may look like it is comparing the available VESC version 3.55 with the installed Metr Pro version 3.69? I could absolutely be misinterpreting this :grimacing:

Exactly, I thougt I had enabled PPM and Uart as the first thing but I didn’t. Forgot to save the settings. My bad. With 2x Focboxes and Ackmaniac 3.102 (didn’t try 3.103) now works like a charm. Thank you.

Another thing. Benjamin veddar pointed out that he uses a 9$ Bluetooth module from aliexpress and published to corresponding code for it.

Would you say go for a plug and play but more expensive or diy but cheap.

Is there some documentation available about the android app? What happens or ought happen, when i press “upload” e.g.? Should i get a link?

@hexakopter @rpasichnyk I’m having this interesting issue with one of my modules. I can connect to it but I can’t update the firmware on it. The app says installed firmware is 3.63 and that the module is up to date, but the latest firmware is 3.69 I believe. When the module turns on it flashes red once then the red turns off. I guess this is because it can’t read the Unity. I did make sure the baud rate and uart output is turned on, but I think the unable to update firmware issue may be something else?

Guys. I am sure it’s me, but new to Metr module. So I connected it to Unity. Baud rate 115200 (I think metr deal with TX, RX and baud rate alone). I get connected but no data. Something missing in the setting?

app

I had the same issue - see my two posts above. Seems like the version check has a bug? I manually updated the FW on my VESC 6.0 through USB for now though.

Update firmware.

1 Like

I have this firmware installed app