MAD Fury. MAD hubs Direct Drive conversion

definitely im super interested.

1 Like

let me ride this thing to understand if I made a board or just a piece of wood :sunglasses:

2 Likes

yeah for sure. you need to test. it looks heavy, dont know how easily it will turn.

I will post the weight later. But it’s not bad really. At least for the time I had in my hands. Indeed it’s heavier than the big brother since I left more. In case is overkill I will remove a bit of layers.

1 Like

The deck 1.5kg.

2 Likes

Ok that’s not bad at all. Nice work

1 Like

yeh It’s ok. I really do not feel too much difference compare a normal deck. I think they are between 700 to 900g usually. That’s why I wanted to shape the thick part only at the bottom and use a ABS enclosure to save weight so that it will be more or less a standard esk8 at the end

1 Like

You think you could some felx to it somehow. Probably would require a different material right?

no no it’s stiff. I used maple, but even with bamboo would be stiff as well. It’s not made to flex. integrated enclosure and flex do not get along very well.

1 Like

Yeah that’s true. I was just curious.

1 Like

:open_mouth: wooooooow :drooling_face:
1.5kg is really light !!.. Fµck!ng good !!! !!

(an Icarus is 1.3kg …)

2 Likes

ah ok good to know :smile:. Got the ABS for the enclosure. Asked 3mm black. Got almost 4mm white! :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

doh … 4mm it could be nicer, no ?
But you will have to play with paint or use carbon finaly ^^ maybe just vinyl !? (but the shape looks complex)

1 Like

Now that I saw how thick it is I think 2mm would be plenty. I don’t have a professional equipment. I am not sure I would be able to shape 4mm ABS. I guess I am gonna figure it out. If I can get a refund or replace I will go for 2mm next time.

I think if this wasn’t happening at the same time as the eLofty and TB DD rollouts, you would be getting way more attention for this awesome project.

I am closely following and vicariously enjoying this ride.

2 Likes

Thanks man. Really no problem for Elofty. When I started there where no DD available that’s why I spent time to make MAD Fury. Now DD is everywhere so totally fine with it. I am not planning to replace any mass production companies. I won’t be able to provide as many drives as a company does. Although I am happy with what I got to be honest. I wanted to provide a new DD and hub motor all in one concept, with replaceable Pullies (with possible future implementing over ABEC, kegel and bergmeister thst are already available). And I wanted to be accessible. Of course never thought to make money out of it otherwise impossible to provide it for the cost I set. More pay back something of the time and cost of development. I decided to give it a try since I am using my DD for a quite some kms now and I am really happy with it. These drives will be more a limited set for who is more in the DIY community perspective and doesn’t just want a anonymous train to install on deck and go. From a general customer point of view I would also pick it up from a company first. I started with Meepo hubs and only later wanted something different. Anyhow I will be happy to try the elofty, ownboard, crown wheel DD. Since I am getting a 60Kv version of the MAD hubs as well to mount AT wheels. So similar to the current DD. My standard DD are 75Kv.

Ah I totally missed TB DD :grin: My bad. No those drives are nice. Nothing to say about it. They cost more, but there is more thoughts behind. Just to understand I would have also asked the same in case of real profit. I don’t know for them, but CNC all the parts, stronger 7075 Alu for the hanger ecc… Cost a lot.

Edit: Anyhow @BillGordon I don’t want to generate any problem, but I got contact from the guys that make the actual drive Elofty sells. They could give the drive for a barbarian price. Now I don’t know at how much is currently set the price but for sure not low as they told me.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info. My eLofty DDs are working well for me but generating mixed reviews from others.

I cannot deny that the thought of having a higher-end DD set like yours thoroughly inflates my nuggets.

1 Like

I hope one of the guy thst is getting the drive loves close to you so you will have the possibility to try it. Just for fun :wink:

1 Like

While installing the metr. Did a quick check at the DD at almost 700km. Only one said had few Pulley screws got lose due to vibrations. For the rest so far so good :grin: Apparently also my original prototype with axle extender was already enough. Happy to ended up with custom hanger now though.

IMG_20190504_091313

14 Likes

First ride with metr. Short one to the gym, more will come :wink:

Forgot to say weight with backpack and gym bag around 88-90kg.

5 Likes