Looking for feedback on the battery I built

Sure thing :slight_smile: here is the chip soldered back into place. I went through with my multimeter and verified there are no bridges between any of the pins.

In regards to the DRV, any chance you could point me in the direction of which chip that is on the FOCBOX? I’ve been trying to find some write up that explains which one it is so could do some more research on it but I’m totally stumped.

1 Like

absolutely! you must have been using the wrong keywords to search :slight_smile:

let me edit this with some topics not in any order…:

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/search?q=DRV%20focbox

Inkedyarrrr_LI

well it looks like I can get the chip for around 6-12 buck (depending on what they charge for shipping) but my I’m curious if its worth replacing more and more parts… at what point is it no longer worth trying to fix? I have a lot more confidence in my ability to replace the DRV chip after doing the MCU but will this fix my issues?

Ive got no evidence to say that the drv is whats causing the focbox to act oddly

It could be that there was a short of something else as a result of the MCU going out, unfortunately thats where my knowledge stops… so I summon the almighty wizard :laughing: @JohnnyMeduse

oh man, JohnnyMeduse probably hates me by now, I sent him like 10 messages late last night in our private chat while I was trying to figure out why I couldn’t update the firmware. In reality I still can’t update the firmware using the BLDC tool but I was able to flash the correct firmware onto the chip using the ST Link v2 so the BLDC tool stops bugging me about it. Whatever was preventing the firmware update is also likely causing the issues I’m currently having. I just don’t know how to troubleshoot what might be the point of failure now.

Sorry you’re getting pulled into this again JohnnyMeduse… I was trying to give you a break but your reputation is obviously too powerful to keep your name from coming up haha

@CarlCollins is also the man, AND a focbox master :slight_smile:

could probably ask him? :stuck_out_tongue:

sorry to throw names out everyone <3

is that chip in-between the caps still looking… melted? on your focbox?

The only name I’ve heard is JonnyMeduse so its nice to learn of others who are more knowledgeable than I am. To anyone out there who has an idea of whats going on with my FOCBOX I am really appreciative of the assistance. All I want lately is to get this thing working again so i can go ride… week and a half that I had to ride it was so addicting!! I just want more of it lol

not sure which one you are talking about

yarrrr

sorry for poor drawing :smiley:

no, that was just some of the silicon used on the capacitors. I did however notice something off, but not sure if its enough to cause the issues I’m seeing. IMG_20181009_130107 IMG_20181009_131442 IMG_20181009_131500 IMG_20181009_131203

! looks like it could be a good piece to fix!

ok that chip has been fixed, going to let the board cool down and then I’ll try it again. (I’m really new to re-flowing so I want to share what I did in case I should have done it a different way) I don’t have an SMB station so what I’ve been doing to re-flow or solder is to mask off parts of the board using kapton tap and then slowly heat up the chip using my heat gun. (I think that’s how this one chip was moved… as the solder melted the tape pulled it up) so that’s all I just did was heat it up slowly till the chip settled back down and the let it cool off… not sure if I should have added flux or not but I’m open to advice for more experienced and knowledgeable people.

1 Like

Ok tried to run the motor detect and it still does nothing :frowning:… I’ll keep scouring the forum but if anyone has an idea whats going on I’m starting to get desperate lol

@RHill051 Can you let us know which firmware version you flashed to the FOCBOX using ST-Link?

Sure, I flashed the “VESC_default.bin” found here vesc_tool/res/firmwares/410_o_411_o_412 at master · Ackmaniac/vesc_tool · GitHub after trying to figure out what firmware to the tool was trying to flash. Here are my steps. It would be awesome if I just need to flash a different firmware with the ST Link :slight_smile:

@RHill051 Do the following Use ST-Link to downgrade the firmware to 2.18 (Default of FOCBOX) 2.18 Firmware for Hardware Version 4.10, 4.11 & 4.12: https://we.tl/t-c5ypVXS4JG (Enertion one) and use this tool to program it: MAC Version of Enertion’s BLDC tool: https://www.enertionboards.com/new-focbox-speed-controller/focbox-bldc-tool-mac/ Windows Version of Enertion’s BLDC tool: https://www.enertionboards.com/new-focbox-speed-controller/focbox-bldc-tool-win/

Then switch back to the latest firmware using USB flashing.

I have faced this issue several times and only problem is with the ACK version of Firmware when flashed via ST-Link

Let us know if this works for you :slight_smile:

I would also love to assist you via Team Viewer if you face any difficulties

Ok so flashing with ST Link is done. Connected to BLDC Tool and was able to read firmware no problem. I’m not sure exactly how to update the firmware from here though. (sorry I don’t have team viewer, I’ve used google hangouts to share desktop in the past)image

@RHill051 Now you have 2 options You can configure it using BLDC tool and give your setup a go Or you can connect it to VESC tool and flash it using normal USB flashing procedure

Are you saying to keep the FOCBOX on 2.18 and setup using BLDC tool? vs connecting to Acmaniac tool and upgrading firmware by USB? It sounds like you are referring to a 3rd tool that I haven’t heard or when you say VESC tool. Even on version 2.18 using BLDC the FOCBOX disconnected after a few minutes and needs to be power cycled in order to connect to the computer by USB again…