Long Haired Boy Scarlet Black Metal edition: Review

They are the enertion 6355 R spec, 190 kv

2 Likes

RANGE UPDATE: So today I decided to test range while riding at sane speeds. I just did normal cruising and riding like almost all of you or most people who buy E-boards would.

I am stokeddd, I got 23.2 miles…AND there is still 23% battery left. It was 90-93 degrees out all day today so I could’t do anymore and just gave up on trying to get the batter to zero. @longhairedboy I LOVE THIS BOARD. Thanks so much man, it’s totally worth the price…in fact it’s worth more than what I paid.

More info about this run: -my weight: 140 lbs -temperature: ~90 degrees -terrain: smooth tarmac, bad/rough tarmac with rocks, sidewalks, mostly flats and a few small rolling hills -23.2 miles from 100% battery to 23% battery -Average speed of ~12 mph, max speed of 31.5 mph

Evolve GT what??

I also did braking tests. Braking is very gentle and will never throw you off the board, in my testing when I slammed the brakes going ~20 mph there was no cut out and it came to a stop over a distance predictably. I’ll also say this board is best on good tarmac, on bad Michigan roads you really feel it in you feet. I wonder how the CF raptor will be…prolly will feel that in my spine on some of the roads I go on.

4 Likes

@Photorph Stop, you’re making me jealous! And by stop, I mean keep up the great reviews. I’ve really enjoyed watching this board get built on the forum, and it’s great to see that the performance matches the aesthetics. I also like that you’re pushing this thing to its limits to see what it’s made of. I don’t think too many people would be comfortable pushing 30-35mph for very long, if at all. So, stay safe out there and keep up the great work! :thumbsup:

2 Likes

@Mobutusan Thanks! I’m trying to improve my video reviews and tests also.

I just posted a POV braking test and a GoPro selfie video. I don’t really like GoPro video quality much. And I need to get better editing software. And I think I’m gonna need to get another person to use my DSLR to film me while I ride.

I don’t think I’ll be posting every single video here so all of you feel free to subscribe if you want to see LHB board videos, and enertion raptor videos once I get it.

3 Likes

These videos make me want to ride more!

Looks good man

For those who have any interest in longhairedboy boards, I have updated my review to keep my format consistent. I will also be posting more videos as soon as I get my LHB board back to me.

For those that don’t know, I had to send my board back to longhairedboy because there was a break cutoff issue. Apparently I shouldn’t be bombing down hills at ridiculous speeds and then braking full force while heading into an intersection cuz that causes brake failures because the current generation VESC can’t handle all that current bla bla bla. See LHB’s thoughts on it here, he posted a blurb about 190 kv motors and the VESC in this thread in post #170.

Long story short, when the new VESC is out he will swap it out for me to get rid of that issue but for now I need to behave and not slam on the brakes while going fast. A

ANYWAYS… once the board is shipped to me upcoming videos with better quality than the current LHB videos I have. Plans are as follows.

1. Video with GPS overlay using my phone/vidometer to prove top speed is 35+ mph

2. better quality video of me riding the LHB board, with multiple angles

3 Likes

did you just swear in latin? lol

Kevlar fibre jacket - built in elbow shoulder and spine pads.

I removed the shoulder pads and spine protector - elbow pads are inconspicuous.

Haven’t had to test it’s abrasion resistance properties yet ( touch wood ! )

2 Likes

Guys I just got my LHB scarlet back. Super excited. @longhairedboy even touched up all the scrapes so it looks brand new! I have a new steez remote, let’s hope this one lasts. I’ve mentioned before the steez remotes are pretty fragile. He updated VESC settings to get rid of the braking issue, and probably threw more current at the motor for increased performance.

More videos to come on my channel.

5 Likes

I’ve isolated the fragility of those remotes to some very common switches inside that can be replaced, and as soon as I order a few dozen of them I’ll be able to fix those remotes when the switches stop clicking due to extreme impact which typically cracks the back out of the switches for the A and B buttons.

As s proof of concept my son was able to weld the plastic on the back of those switches back together with an old soldering iron and get them clicking again in your remote, but I wasn’t going to send that one back to you.

They still take a streeting much much better than the GT2Bs which shatter if they land right.

Posted some updates on my review, and a new video testing speed with GPS overlay.

Hey all, I wanted to keep this up to date. For some reason I can’t edit the original thread so I wanted to give everyone an update.

I have since sold this board to fund another LHB build (yes I like LHB that much). I’ll create a new review thread when I get my other one which I predict will be in a few months.

I also wanted to let everyone know the reliability of the board. No electronic components on the board have failed, everything has worked great thus far. It needed to be sent in once to get the VESC settings fine tuned (which technically you can do yourself). Also since I have sold it, the warranty apparently goes to phase 2 and transfers to the new owner which kind of blew my mind. Very generous of LHB. The new owner had to send in his board to get one of LHB’s upgraded boxes. As I showed in my video initially I was concerned about the enclosure, and the screws holding it together. So my prediction was right, unless you are riding in good conditions the box will take major abuse. The new box enclosures are tougher and will take more abuse from the elements. Also the new owner wanted to get the brakes toned down as I saw on LHB’s instagram, which he is doing for him. (my brakes were mild, they were tuned up to be touchy, and now they are going back to mild). All the brake settings are done in the BLDC tool which you can do yourself technically. So in reality asides from him doing an upgrade of the enclosure this board has been doing well.

I did learn a few things, IF I was gonna get another LHB I would change a few things. I would get a deck style that allows for bigger wheels w/o wheel bite. I’m going to want 97mm wheels, after riding on big wheels I found I prefer comfy ride of the original abec 11s. I would also see if LHB has figured out a better enclosure mounting system. The steez remote is great as long as it works. Maybe a modified GT2b would be better. Drivetrain wise, hub motors may be a good way to go. I believe LHB works with enertion and since enertion has new hubs out… those may be a good option.

nice board, but it has a defect.

Yep, all issues I had are listed in this thread.