Lock's Trampa | This one's going to take a while

Thanks. Yeah, first build. And there’s already plenty of modifications in mind :wink: . But for now I think I’ll just enjoy the ride. . . once I feel like I’m no longer going to seriously injure myself.

Nah, senior moment was all mine, was going to include the link but just forgot to add it (now edited).

Quick note on the display/switch mount. It’s designed to have a 1.5mm thick clear acrylic sheet glued in before you screw in the display (which has it’s own approx 1.5mm glass sheet over the oled). The idea was to protect the display a bit more, but it also pushes back the display PCB allowing a bit more thickness for the screws to tap into.

BMS+box slots into one of the moulded gaps in my enclosure. When I designed the enclosure I was going to do it in carbon fibre, the polyurethane ended up being quite a bit thicker and as a result everything is a little bit cramped.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing lock ! You’re build is gorgeously crazy by sober !!! Love it :+1:

1 Like

Rode a few kms yesterday, motor mount quickly rattled loose (no Loctite). Seems ok on this mornings ride to the tram stop. Currently tweaking spring settings and battling with the whole ‘tight = cant turn’ / ‘loose = speed wobbles’. Oh, and it feels like there’s a bunch of muscles in my lower legs that need to be developed, or I need to relax (prob both) :joy:.

It’s running Hall sensors, and the throttle is really quite well behaved. Rolling down and up the driveway…

These are the 83mm Trampa wheels, would have gone for the 90mm but they were out of stock at the time. Seems to make for a rough ride over expansion gaps in bike paths. New (bigger) wheels were always a part of the plan, just tossing up how big / or even pneumatic. :thinking:

2 Likes

for sure, if you feel you need bigger, plus now there are so many option … (97, 107, 125, 165,175,200 … hahah ) ask erider around you to test unsed wheels to hope to test as mutch as possible :stuck_out_tongue:

Super nice Build @lock Its all about details … and you got many nice ones brother :sunny:

Wondering that such a important detail like Loctide was not addet :blush:

I run a similar Carver… started with 83mm stikis then 90mm stikis then 97 abec clones … now original 107mm Abec11… and that it is what will stay as long as this build excists :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Really nice, if I were commuting a bit on paved streets and with my knees I’d be looking at these for weight/grip/ride

https://shop.3dservisas.eu/collections/wheel-hubs/products/fatboy-solid-core-hub-3-75-5-spoke-for-28mm-bearing-set-of-4-hubs

Not sure what pulleys are available for the wheels I suspect they have the same pattern as superstars @Kug3lis

1 Like

There’s a bunch of stuff I messed up, it kind of sucks that you get better at this stuff the further through your build. Soldering for example, all joins are pretty good now, the first ones I was doing less so. As for the Loctite, after months of not much progress I reckon I rushed things a little.

This is good to know. Was tempted to step straight to the 107’s, but worried it may be overkill. It’s pretty heavy already so what’s a little more.

@Nowind obviously I won’t switch the hanger around, but do the Street Carver mounts work with the bigger Trampa wheels (urban treads, gummies)?

Yeah, keeping an eye on those. Oh what I’d give for a miniature set of Volk te37s :joy:

I had to look those up, the clue was in the name lol Only a matter of time before carbon rims are made, unobtanium and farkles for all!

Gummies will work, depending on Wheelpulley size without the Idler. @gogomrrobot is running Gummies with this mounts… maybe he can give you advice too

EDIT Question of bigger Wheels is always to see in complete Setup details… for example my Carver with 107mm Abecs, 15/40 Gearing, 170kv Motors in Sensor mode is absolutely sweet spot for mine.

1 Like

would love a gansy at how the layout of the diebiems enclosure is used, balancing wire hole obvious, usb obvious, which one do you use for the lcd @lock

Look how nicely designed this is

4 Likes

The BMS box was a bit rushed TBH, excess holes as I didn’t quite have the cable routing figured. The holes are extra large too as I wanted to fit the ring terminals through them, really these should be smaller with slots down from the top. If you scrapped he holes, and put your own in to suit… then it’d be an ‘ok’ design.

Display and power button wires (all 8 of them) run from this box through the rear truck, then up through the deck. Installation is a bit of a PITA. Next time I’d go for connectors (for everything) at the enclosure.

1 Like

I’ve got quite the network of bike paths accessible from just down the road. Could literally cruise for a 100km without needing to go on a road. Only problem is these concrete paths have those gaps in them, and with the 83mm wheels it’d make a horrible thud over every one. Kind of thuds that would undoubtedly result in something breaking.

Incidentally mounts have been rock solid since Loctite :+1:. Even with this torture.

Anyway, got some ABEC 107s and they’re not coming off :joy:

Still get the thuds, but it’s more just a noise instead of a hard jolt. It’s quite happy on the bike paths now.

Seems to roll a lot easier now. Purchased some bearings off eBay, also a section of aluminium tubing to cut my own bearing support spacers. Could be these, or could just be the taller gearing.

Still using the 15-37 combo (130kv motors), and still happy with the acceleration. I’d like to find some nice aluminium 44t 15mm aluminium pulleys, but they seem ‘rare as hens teeth’.

Other general esk8 remarks. 12yo boy yelled out the other night “hey mister, that thing you’re riding is really cool”. Then today I think I got snap chatted by some teen as I cruised past, possible for ridicule value, but whatever :wink:.

Turning is still tough, but getting better. Counterintuitively, slowing down through turns seems to result in a larger turning radius as you can’t lean in as much.

Oh, I weighed it too.

10.7kg, probably 12kg with the new wheels.

4 Likes

Maybe, but with the cads you gave it can be customised to need, the overall case is really nicely proportioned and seals correctly which is great, mine sucked. I’m going to xt60 a version (height)and do something to seal the balance leads a bit better since it won’t be enclosed in my application

Pulled the board apart today. I’ve probably done 30km or so, just wanted to see if anything undesirable was occurring internally. All wiring checked out, nothing loose, so seems all good.

I’ve charged it a couple times, but made sure never to let the BMS balance. Wanted to see how much drift I was getting in the cells…

-----   Cell voltages   -----
Cell voltage 0           : 3.332V
Cell voltage 1           : 3.333V
Cell voltage 2           : 3.332V
Cell voltage 3           : 3.332V
Cell voltage 4           : 3.332V
Cell voltage 5           : 3.332V
Cell voltage 6           : 3.332V
Cell voltage 7           : 3.332V
Cell voltage 8           : 3.332V
Cell voltage 9           : 3.333V
Cell voltage10           : 3.332V
Cell voltage11           : 3.330V
Cell voltage high       : 3.333V
Cell voltage low        : 3.330V
Cell voltage average  : 3.332V
Cell voltage mismatch : 0.003V
----- End Cell voltages -----

… not much it turns out.

Finally found a use for my ST-LINK clone; programming some NRF51 modules. It’s a Bluetooth module like the HM10, just a little different and with support built into the latest VESC Tool. All the detail you could possibly want is in Vedder’s GitHub repo. I wired up two, but only because I cut the wires too short on the first :smirk:.

Bluetooth support in the VESC Tool currently seems limited to the Linux build. Ubuntu running on MacOS inside a parallels VM apparently doesn’t get access to the inbuilt BTLE hardware, so I picked up a cheap $5 Bluetooth 4.0 module off eBay.

Amazingly it worked first time. It’s plugged up to the slave VESC in my setup, enabling CAN forward to 0 gives access to the master. Not having to undo the 30 screws and find a USB cable to tweak my VESCs is rather nice.

There’s now a VESC Tool build for Android that would work with the module, unfortunately there’s not a single Android device in the house. An iOS build, despite it being built in cross platform Qt, seems like a non-trivial exercise😞. I have doubts that other apps would work with this module.

Edit: no I was wrong, the eSkate VESC app works fine.

4 Likes

I’m old enough, and know what hitting the pavement feels like, so I’m really not keen on pushing much past 25km/h. Makes it tough trying to find out what the board can do. There’s a nice little circuit in a park not far from home, it’s got a short but sharp little climb, figured I’d see if I could max it out.

Strava’s great for finding this sort of thing.

This is the corresponding set of data for that section of the ride.

It’s only for one VESC, but assuming the others the same I still only managed a max of 20a out of the battery. Turns out simply standing on a board going up that kind of grade gets a bit tricky :joy:, especially when there’s tight bend on the steep bit.

Checked the motors and enclosure for excessive heat but neither felt much above ambient. Not that I’d expect them to be hot after a 20a discharge.

1 Like

Dajum, they are matched well :smile:!

Yeah, but now your fancy BMS has nothing to do :joy:.

Actually it was pretty good. Yesterdays ride was about 15km, which took me down below 50% charge. Starting voltage was 39.9v, and final voltage was 39.3v. If I was relying on voltage alone I’d never know how much charge I had left until it was too late.

I was out testing a trampa last week end with no dampers ,it had yellow ones till I pulled them out… Also I had a bad fall at 32mph on my board a few weeks ago so confidence levels are low. I was getting up to 24mph with out any sign if spped wobble s… Give your self more miles before hitting higher speeds or make the trucks stiffer for high speed

1 Like

I’ve still got the yellow dampas in there, springs in outer position on rear, inner up front. Spring adjusters wound to about deck level. Just only starting to get the hang of turning now, heel side I’m ok, toe side not so good. Tempted to try without dampas, but I’ll stick with them for now and see how I progress. Carving was feeling more natural and much less awkward today, legs seem to not get as tired either.

20km ride today, and probably would have gone further if I had the range. Probably could have squeezed another 5km out, but didn’t feel the need to push it. Got up a little over 30km/h, and felt fairly comfortable. It’s releasing the throttle after acceleration I have to watch out for; letting the trigger go (not applying breaks, just neutral) pushes weight forward and can induce some wobbles. Need to make a conscious effort to back it off slowly.

Battery max of 37a (across 2 vescs) from short acceleration getting back towards home. Expected hill climbing would suck down a few amps, but 20-25a seem to be enough to get me up a 3% hill at decent speed.

Still never applied full throttle, but it’s oh so tempting :joy:.

5 Likes