Leisure Industry Features That We Could Implement

It doesn’t add or increase acceleration, it just holds the speed that the wheels get spun up to. There’s no remote input, so if the wheels start spinning faster it tries to keep that speed and will decelerate gradually once it reaches its peak speed.

Thanks. This is a great summary.

You ended up with the durban enclosure, looks good! Had to choose between that and the coupe for my mini build, chose the latter. Look? s like either was a good choice! K, back on topic; @Ackmaniac how much work would it be to alter your cruise control feature to be more like that? Would make a near perfect software absolutely sublime.

No – by far most of the code is written by Benjamin and the Ackmaniac parts aren’t as high quality and very, very tiny tweaks by comparison. I review code as my day job…

Longboard_2018-Jun-20_05-40-36AM-000_CustomizedView9780571581

Endless mode is a really cool idea, especially for those that need a stealth ride with smaller batteries and less power consumption. This is what I have so far after gathering information bits from everywhere.

• “Assist.” Controls how long the power assist will last in seconds. Default to 30 sec.
  • “Threshold” Controls the activation threshold, after pushing and reaching this speed, power assist will kick in.
  • “Deceleration” This controls the rate at which the deceleration decay happens. For example at 30 rotations per seconds as the mellow boards have it implemented.
3 Likes

Thx for making that clear.

Edit: Did you modify your comment. If i remember right it was a bit more spicy.

Anyway, maybe you should then implement a version of the endless mode.

4 Likes

He doesn’t care for it. He’s one half of the troll tag team. Ignore him.

Edit: flagged. Nice!

Just a reminder, Please don’t forget to vote for a feature your interested in via the first post. If you have features that you see in industrial boards or in general that you would like implemented to the VESC say them and i’ll add them to the poll.

As of right now it seems Endless Mode/Push Assist is popular. If implemented we of course cant name it endless mode.

@Wajdi Nice! Loving it man, a couple of questions:

1. How far along are you? Do you need assistance?
  2. Whats the release dates on these things?
  3. Estimated Pricing?
  4. Would Push Assist (referring to it to avoid any trademark or copyright infractions) be a release date feature?

Please add remote development to the vote, even though its a bit late now I’m sure many people feel the current, mostly complicated and unreliable options are weak.

1 Like

Note this is for features. I can add it but I need a specific feature(s) in regards to remotes (such as connectivity, throttle, hardware, wireless programming, stronger Shells, etc)

Edit: I only ask such because we already have various remotes being developed i.e firefly remotes, firefly derivatives, and Proton remotes.

Remoteless push assist mode would be awesome but I’ve been stuck trying to figure out how to prevent overriding a footbrake with the motors… Was thinking a tilt sensor but the extreme vibrations make that problematic

1 Like

Can you elaborate here i’m confused.

Edit: You mean how to make foot braking work instead of having the remote do the breaking?

Yep   

The board would need to sense the difference between going up a hill and decelerating – versus decelerating because a foot is dragging – and override one but not the other

Also dragging a foot going uphill. These are real issues and why the only ones implemented use a remote for braking

2 Likes

The more I think about endless ride the more appealing it gets for a shorter commuter board with a small battery, it’d be light, portable, inexpensive to build and fun to ride while serving a real purpose for people who want it.

3 Likes

Yeah this wouldn’t be great on a board with a huge (heavy) battery.

2 Likes

I think I’ve got it figured out. Two separate pressure sensors / strain gauges in the deck under the grip on the front and back halves of the deck. One for each foot.

One foot on, one foot off would mean its ready to set a new top speed.

Two feet on means its ready to maintain speed.

Two feet off means come to a stop.

Whats crazy is… I think you might be able to do all that with an analog circuit and discrete components.

3 Likes

Sounds like Z-board / Starkboard

So when your just hoping on the board, how do you keep it from moving initially? Footbraking maybe?

Keep in mind many of us ride in the street and you just can’t hop off in the middle of the street if a car stops or a pedestrian decides they’re the captain now.

And what about stopping on a hill?

Pressure boards just aren’t very applicable in terms of the needed precision of user input.

It’d be different. Those are like lean to accelerate boards, this is much more simple than that.

It won’t move until you push it. It doesn’t ever accelerate under power.

The sensors aren’t for throttle, they’d be more or less just switches that select different modes. There’d be an AND gate, an OR gate, and a NOT gate.

If you have one foot on the board, the assumption is you’re either foot-braking or pushing, so that just lets the wheels freely spin so you can adjust the speed, slowing it down, or speeding it up.

Once you’ve pushed to the speed you want to go, you put your other foot back on the board, Then it enters push assist mode where it maintains the current speed more or less. This mode would also keep you from speeding up so you can descend hills without going faster than you want to.

And then if neither of your feet are on your board it means you’ve jumped off, or fallen off, or something like that. So the board responds by easing on a brake. It wouldn’t need to be a strong brake because it would only need to be designed to stop the weight of the board w/o a rider.

2 Likes

My board is heavy, I think it’d be nice to allow a 1 amp, or maybe even 0.5A or less, so once the board detects movement up to maybe 10 miles per hour it would very lightly and controllably assist in pushing a heavy board, but at the same time won’t take off past a certain point. Maybe that 0.5 - 1A assist could gradually decrease to 0 A over a predefined and customizable speed range, and that push boost amount could be customized to be however high or low you would like (within reason).

So for example, you could set a 0.1A or maybe 5watt boost for 0-5 mph that drops smoothly to 0 at 15 mph if that’s how fast you push.

I tried out PID no acceleration today, and while pushing up to speed was rough, the experience was phenomenal. I will be using this mode a lot more for chill rides from now on… Now if (as above), the board would boost that small (maybe even 1 watt) amount to make my board just feel lighter and slowly decelerate, that would be even better :sunglasses:… Then whip my phone out, select 2000W when I’m ready to blast up a hill… :smiley::rofl::grinning::yum::heart_eyes:

You could prevent the board from just taking off on it’s own (say accelerating down a hill cause it thinks your pushing and giving that small boost up to your predefined speed) by requiring the rider to hold full throttle for the small boost, coast or push with no power but still doing the coast and decrease in RPMs/time with throttle at neutral and brake when braking.

This is a great idea.