[Introductions] New member? Introduce yourself and share your DIY plans

How has that post been quoted 1000 times but only has 9 likes :grinning:

5 Likes

Seriouslyā€¦ I tried to help. Iā€™m one of the 9 already though :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Liked it! And thank you both :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Hi all, Iā€™m 40, live in Adelaide, Australia. I have a B52 stealth bomber, Onewheel XR+, Evolve CGT, a 4x4 jedboard on order as well as a Trampa Electric Mountainboard helical drive 17 ply 160kv is x 6s22000mah with 8ā€ muddies on order as well.

Stressing about the trampa as I am totally clueless about programming VESCā€™s and repairing things if they come loose etc.

So thatā€™s why I am here, to try and learn a bit.

(Iā€™m also trying to help my mate who has an Evolve Bamboo and TRAMPA Mountainboard with a 4 battery smaller batter setup)

3 Likes

Welcome!

Just to clarify, do you have ALL those toys/tools on order or just the trampa and the jedboard?

Programming the vesc isnā€™t as daunting as it seems. What vesc are you and your buddy planning on using?

Great to have new people here who are willing and wanting to learn!

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m Dave, and I just found out about eSkates last week. I got to ride an E-GO2 last Friday, and the motor was fried after just one day. Iā€™ll be moving on to something proper now that Iā€™m hooked.

Iā€™m very much into diy electronics (mostly class a audio amplifiers) and Iā€™ve recently acquired a 3D printer. The plan is to either build something nice with maybe direct drive motors, or buy a pre-built esk8 like the slick urban kick, or both (in reversed order). Iā€™ll have to do more research before I make a decision.

See yā€™all around!

Edit: hereā€™s something Iā€™ve built recently: https://imgur.com/a/bcCk85w

7 Likes

Welcome! This is a phenomenal topic to help you decide whether to go pre built or diy.

Youā€™ll be much happier with diy :wink:

It might take a bit longer and will cost a bit more but you truly do get what you pay for.

4 Likes

I skate in NC and I want to do downhill runs alone by using an electric motor to get me to the top instead of bringing someone else with a car. The run Iā€™m considering is around 8% grade the whole way down, 3 miles long, and has a few hairpins that you have to slide.

Do you think it is possible to build an electric board that is also good for downhill?
I do not need brakes and I feel like it would be possible to charge the battery with the speed from going downhill, but im not sure cause all of this is really new to me. Im mostly concerned that it wont work well with changing out wheels a lot, or sliding will mess it up somehow. Thanks!!!

3 Likes

While itā€™s definitely possible to do, Iā€™m not sure how good of a final product you will have for downhill.

Since saving weight is key, you will only want to use as many batteries as you need. Perhaps a 10s2p pack or a configuration of lipos will work, you will have to play around with specs like weight and amperage and capacity to see what is best for your situation.

While a single motor wonā€™t be much fun all it has to do is get you to the top of the hill so for you a dual setup wonā€™t be worth the price and weight. Likely belt drive as itā€™s reliable and cheap + you can take off the belt before shredding down the hill. This will remove drive train friction.

@okp is making some pulleys for venom magnums and i think @PXSS has some Speed Vent pulleys in the making (or someone else does)

The classic skate trucks compatible esk8 motor mounts include Caliber 2, Surf Rodz, and a few others Iā€™m forgetting. Generally anything that doesnā€™t have a rounded hanger likely has a matching mount.

3 Likes

Looking to turn my longboard into a scooter. Just need help looking for parts!

1 Like

Thatā€™s cool AF

1 Like

Hi everyone !

owner of a wowboard 2s since jan 2019, living in a city south of France. Iā€™m currently building a second board (almost finished) with airless wheels, 12s homemade batteryā€¦

Cheers, FranƧois

2 Likes

Hey everyone just thought Iā€™d chime in. New member but been lurking in the forums for a month. Just posted my very first DIY esk8 build coming from 10 years of riding non esk8 longboards. Did tons of research before posting anything so would love to hear your opinions!

3 Likes

I came to get some info on DIY eskates and am now looking to post a thread asking if the parts that i have researched and found are compatible and good enough for eachother specwise.

I come from Bulgaria andā€¦ wellā€¦ Bulgaria is somewhat of a third world country and my budget is very very limited. I have about 300$ to spare and i canā€™t really afford all of the cool toys on the market. This is why i came here seeking help.

Here is my first link and edit for the badges:

First mention, quote and emoji: @Nathraichean :raising_hand_man:

3 Likes

Welcome. Hope you get something running in your budget.

1 Like

This is a tried and true extreme budget build. Good luck with your build new friend!

1 Like

Lol. @mmaner that post has been linked so many times now. Screenshot_20190506-093039_Samsung%20Internet

1 Like

LOL, it has been linked a few times :slight_smile:

Itā€™s like the second thing i bookmarked on the site after joining

Hey everyone!

Canadian living in California (Silicon Valley Bay area). New to the Esk8 community and totally stoked to build my own board. Iā€™ve done a metric tonne of research and every.bloody.day Iā€™m learning something new. Thanks to everyone for providing a tonne material for me to read and consume. Iā€™ve been snowboarding for about 22 years, racing motorcycles for about 4 years (still do the odd track day) and have been athletic for most of my life. Iā€™m hoping that all of this translates into a smooth transition into a fun new way to commute to work every day. Iā€™m fortunate enough to have a trail practically right from my home straight to work (11km on the trail with 1km off trail).

Anywayā€¦ on to my first build and already looking to build my 2nd (I obsess with any new learning experience and hobby). Please feel free to tell me if Iā€™m missing anything else as Iā€™ve already purchased the gear listed below:

Purchased:

• Board: LandYachtz Evo 40 Falcon
  • Motor: Dual TB 6374 190Kv
  • Belts: TB 320mm 15mm HTD5
  • Trucks: TB 218mm
  • Wheels: TB 110mm 78A Kegel Core
  • Pulleys: TB 15T motor pulley and 36T wheel pulley (debating about bumping wheel pulley to 40T for a little bit more bottom end)
  • Motor Mounts: TB red reversible 63mm mounts
  • ESC: FOCBOX Unity (waiting for it to arrive)
  • Battery: 12s4P with xt60 (waiting for it to arrive)
  • Switch: ON/OFF anti-spark switch from Mboards (waiting for it to arrive)
  • Remote: Maytech
  • Enclosure: Eboards Peru for EVO 40 (waiting for it to arrive)
  • 6 x 8mm 3.5mm male to 5.5mm female extension wires
  • Flipsky motor sensor wires

Safety gear (Iā€™m simply reusing my motorcycle street gear - already owned):

• AGV K3 full face (Iā€™m debating about getting a helmet that will allow for more peripheral vision). I have clear and tinted visors
  • Alpinestars GP Pro R2 Gloves
  • Iā€™m not going to use my race boots and jacket because they may be a bit too stiff. Open to more recommendations

What I donā€™t have:

• elbow and knee pads - recommendations?
  • thinking about headlights and rear lights just in case I get caught working late - recommendations? Iā€™ve read all about shredlights, but open to any other suggestions
  • battery percentage gauge - recommendations?
  • Anything else you folks can think of?

Thank you and looking forward to getting on the trails!

3 Likes