HW6.4 based ESC - ESCape

you would need the Vesc6 .hex file, maybe @linsus has one (I only got 4.XX HW)

(easier to follow vedders instructions if you have a linux machine)

You’ll need a discoverboard or ST-programmer if you want to upload a new bootloader. You’re s’posed to be able to use the functioning vesc to fix the bricked one, I havn’t tried this yet tho. Maybe @trampa can assist you

We tried using the working one to flash the bricked one thanks to Black Magic Probe tool (SWD prog in VESC Tool). However, no luck to discover the bricked VESC microcontroller. (CLK, IO and GND connected). Next move : STLink :pensive:

2 Likes

Hopefully u got a spare MCU so you can just do a swap :smile:

Hopefully, we won’t need to go that far ! :smile: Anyway, there is seriously something to do. Bricking a VESC just because a bluetooth connection wasn’t reliable enough is pretty scary !

This is really not eh first time I see that happening (I had the same with old Metr module and cheap Android phone).

that does sound scary, never had any problems with my small cheap modules :open_mouth:

You scare me…

1 Like

It has always happend when dealing with motor/app conf write. Maybe it lacks of integrity check before sending it into internal registers, doesnt it ?

Now, we’re looking for a stable FW version that Metr app can deal with. @Manu39 was on FW 3.40, and everyhting was perfect. But we needed to move to 3.48+ for the use of COMM_GET_VALUES_SETUP_SELECTIVE.

So any FW version advice from 3.48 would be welcomed ! :slight_smile:

Havn’t done any update since november maybe :thinking:

Not sure which verision Im running, can check

This happened to me too. Vesc6. I tried changing POS ramp parameter using “expert settings” on metr pro. It would try to write the new parameters but it won’t stick. Then eventually fails. After that my motor would spin so slow and cog badly.

I had to reload ackmaniac fw to clear it. I’m still using the metr module but using the ack app instead.

2 Likes

What VESC FW ?

does someone have the BOM and schematics? links dont work any more

(I have 2 bare PCBs that I would like to use sometime in the near future)

Thanks

2 Likes

I’m using @skatardude10 compiled Vesc fw that has the brake fix. Vesc6.

Here is the link.

1 Like

Whatns the brake fix ? Does he has a github repo where I can check it ?

The link is the github. Brake fix was done by deodand. He just merged it w ack FW.

Sorry, I had a (too) quick look and didn’t see sources. What’s the improvement in your ride feeling ?

AFAIK, Vedder considered to bring @Deodand code improvement into official firmware. But IDK if it has been applied in the end.

The only real difference is the low speed braking. It doesn’t lock up. Well what I read here in the forums, vedder has merged this fix into his official fw. Or he may have just made a fix based on deodands fix. Not sure. I haven’t seen the code.

I really like ack FW. Just a better linear ride feel for me.

Yes, the deodand brake fix was implemented 3 or 4 iterations before last official firmware

Some user was able to compare data between ack and vedders official fw. Based on his findings, better ride control and better battery consumption.

I’m gonna have to look for that post. Once I find it, I’ll post it here.

2 Likes

Ok, I found back where it has been discussed with Benjamin :

This has been integrated in official FW since FW 3.48. :+1:

2 Likes