How are hub motors connected to the truck?

Hi guys,

I have been searching for an answer to my question but I can’t seem to find it.

What I want to know is how a dc brushless hub motor is connected to the skateboard truck.

Is it the axle which is connected to the truck and the can of the motor that is spinning? Or is the can connected to the truck and does the axle spin?

From what I have read it is the can that spins, that would mean that the stationary axle has to hold all the weight and I can’t see how that would do the motor any good. How is the axle connected to the truck that it is able to support all the weight?

I’m really sorry if my story doesn’t make any sense. I just can’t figure out how the hell a hub motor in a skateboard is constructed.

Thanks in advance!

depends if you make them yourself or not. Ive made a pair in the past that didnt last long due to weak bearings. But the 8mm truck axel acts as the stator and the windings are epoxied to the truck usually the aluminum after it is lathed away to fit.

jacobbloy, carvonskates would be your best bet.

Thanks for the reply. I want to make them myself as a fun project to be working on. So it is actually the truck itself that is stuck in the motor to act as the stationary axle? And the can (or windings) are connected to the wheel which obviously turn.

It does make a lot of sense thinking about it…

Thanks a lot!

They look very sleek and if I fail to make them myself (which I think is much more fun) I will definitely consider them. I knew of their existence but want to try to make them myself first.

Thanks for your reply!

Yea I have some pics if i can find them ill attach them to this post. exactly its kind of opposite of how its normally working. The axle is stationary and the can spins around the windings. What motor are you using to start out with? do you have lathe access?

I had to think about it for maybe 2 DAYS day and night. I couldnt find how it worked! untill it finally just clicked in my head!

Thanks those pictures make it more clear. I was thinking about using two turnigy aerodrive SK3 6374-149kv motors. It appears to be a respected brand since I read about a lot of people using these motors. Also the low kv spec appeals to me because I think you will need the torque since there is no gear ratio when making a hub wheel. I may be wrong so please correct me. As for the lathe access, I am dutch and don’t know all the english terms (yet). But I figure you mean the machine thing. Yes I have access to a couple as well as CNC machines at my school and though I am not extremely skilled, I can work with them.

I also did a conversion of a typical outrunner and it also deteriorated quickly because of the bearings.

Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… If you want something that’ll last you should maybe try to make the stator seat and rotor yourself so that you can add bearings and bearing seats that are intended for the huge loads of a skateboard.

Red loctite, fixing the stator to the skate axle, is strong enough to hold the motor’s torque

Actually this drawing isn’t accurate to what I have now and the magnets are bigger 3mm

1 Like

No problem man. Those motors will be perfect for the job you’ll prob need 93 mm wheels to fit the cans. In this build bearings are key! Yes you will need very low kv motors. And sensors would make it better at low speeds. It doesn’t take much skill just nice even and level passes

I’ll make sure to get some good bearings and I am certainly getting wide wheels that cover the whole motor because I think it looks better when the motor doesn’t stick out of the wheel. I feel MUCH more confident about starting this build now I at least understand how it is put together. Thanks a lot man!

Thanks that’s some really good information! That drawing will be very helpful when I’m designing my hub.

Anytime :slight_smile: keep updating this thread! I’d love to see your progress