Horrible Communication By AlexTech

Yeah! He has classes everyday from 8 to 3:35.

I see you have great detective skills haha :laughing:

Just realized that itā€™s summer thoughā€¦my guess is summer job

1 Like

Stay away from ad hominem attacks or things that can be construed as slander or threats of physical harm (IANAL but my brother is and this is probably a good idea, plus just be a decent human on the forum).

The facts and evidence seem to be strongly on your side (buyers) so stick with that and get it resolved. Good luck! Hope youā€™re all able to work things out.

2 Likes

I have been following this thread and I must say it really saddens me to see a situation like this on a forum where being trustworthy and having a good reputation is so valuable.

Here is my 2 cents for what itā€™s worth. In reality, you could possibly go to civil court and get a judgement. That doesnā€™t necessarily mean that you will be able to collect. I mean really, your talking about a kid with no money or real property. Do you think you can ā€œsqueeze blood out of a turnipā€? Ya thatā€™s a really old saying. And good luck getting the local police to do anything about it.

You will probably have better results if you just contact your bank and file for a charge back if you used a credit card on the website. if you used Paypal ā€œgoods and servicesā€ then file a claim through PayPal first. If you used Paypal ā€œfriends and familyā€ you could still try to get your money back through your bank although PayPal will not be happy with you. I did get a refund on a PayPal payment once through my bank without first contacting PayPal and they got mad and gave me a stern rebuke but they did not cancel my account. Not for the first offense.

If none of these options help you, Then your probably gonna have to suffer the loss and learn from it. Sometime life lessons are expensive. I personally threw away $8000 on a bad deal and have nothing to show for it now. Lesson learned and I will never make that mistake again! I am much older and hopefully a lot wiser now. There is another old saying ā€œBuyer Bewareā€ Donā€™t make large purchases without buyer protection. Donā€™t buy anything online especially from people you donā€™t know without buyer protection. If your buying used gear, pay the extra for buyer protection, Itā€™s well worth it. Thats all I have to say.

9 Likes

I feel like if you werenā€™t active in this thread that it would have been deleted as my thread was and more people would have lost money. In the end I lost nothing thankfully, but I feel for those that did. So thanks to you for keeping it alive and everyone else for keeping it civil.

3 Likes

Try this, and if that dosnt work try small claims court I guess. You would technically be suing his parents as you canā€™t sue a minor and he would of had to operate a PayPal in his parents name or make a fictitious one.

Here is some more info about that:

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to propose a different kind of solution, if you all are willing to trust me to give it a try:

Let me take a week to communicate with the school that @Alextech received his initial seed funding from, and Iā€™ll diplomatically explain the issue to see if we can come to a resolution. I think I can explain the situation without condemnation of anyone, and perhaps help them to see how @Alextech is at the point where he needs the responsible adults in his life to step in and assist. Iā€™m a professor so maybe that will help in the communication.

Itā€™s worth noting that it is a private school that appears to have quite a lot of financial resource. Iā€™d think that the relatively small loss to pay out everyone here would not overwhelm them. At the very least, they could get @Alextechā€™s advisors and parents involved to clean up this situation.

As a youth, he is in way over his head at this point. Contacting the BBB isnā€™t going to resolve anything. Heā€™s got no legal business structure (not an LLC or Corporation), no liability insurance, and no legal adult to recognize as a legal entity. Thereā€™s no one to seek legal recourse from besides his guardians, and that would require legal processing that would cost more time and money for everyone.

Iā€™d need a comprehensive list of each person that paid him, how much they paid, how long theyā€™ve waited, and one-sentence statement about the state of communication i.e. ā€œIā€™ve been promised a refund but Iā€™ve waited for 2 months with no further communication.ā€ Can someone compile this as a google doc for me?

If you like this approach, Iā€™ll put time into doing my best to get it resolved. I canā€™t promise a quick resolution but I believe itā€™s the best shot at getting everyone reimbursed. Iā€™ll post updates here, or in a new thread so we can all following along.

BTW - I didnā€™t buy anything from @Alextech but as a mod on the forum I think I should step in to help.

@mccloed @sukurity @anorak234 @willpark16 @Wubbalubbadubdub @win2397 @Sander

31 Likes

Well played, sir. Thatā€™s probably the best solution there is for this situation.

2 Likes

Agreed with @longhairedboy

1 Like

Also i would like to point out that the forum user @Wubbalubbadubdub has a username that sounds EXACTLY like my favorite song on the Dubstep Dangles Dirty playlist i always listen to on Spotify. I just keep repeating that user name in my head and it sounds great.

6 Likes

Haha seems like you need to watch Rick and Morty

7 Likes

Thank you so much @treenutter ! That is some sound thinking and I am defenitely on board. For whoever decides to make the google doc (I am on my phone and computer is dead atm):

I sent @Alextech 190$USD via PayPal Business in March in exchange for 1x VESC and 1x Spotwelder. His communication has been spotty at best, and when I last heard from him in early May he promised to send me the package with a free on/off switch to make up for the inconvenience.

1 Like

Good lad @treenutter ā€¦I was thinking call Paul blart!! but much better decision!

1 Like

Compile all the information and sum owed and if anyone lives near him, a face to face with his parents would be a good idea!

Well I have made a spreadsheet, Feel free to add yourself:

1 Like

@Sander thank you friend!

1 Like

Added myself to the Doc! Thanks @treenutter & @Sander!

2 Likes

Did this kid actually have any of the parts in stock? Donā€™t mean to rub salt in the wound but did nobody ask for photos!

He bought a bunch of parts from me, but I never saw him build anything with them.

,I asked for photo, I got photos. He said he will ship my hubs at 5th feb when the ā€œitemsā€ arrive from china, he is not a kid, he is more like 19