Hobby King Motor Mount

How did the filing trick work out? I just had to file a mount last night from another manufacturer, seems it’s common to have to “fit” the brackets as there is no standard for how this all goes together.

Working out great. I sanded it a little but I also ended it using caliber trucks. Pretty good for $9 motor mount. Ridden it for 2 rides and everything is staying in place. Yes. Nothing work out of the box with diy. Normally I make my our mounts but I just have to buy and try this mount for $9.

I ordered 3 of them and 2 of them have failed so far.

How so and where? I was worried about stripping motor mount screws actually…

Yes, please do elaborate if you could septicdank. I have heard promising things about this mount so if it is failure prone I’d like to see if we could come up with ways to avoid it.

I’ve had issues with the bolts stripping the mount. I’m going to try tapping the stripped mounts for a slightly larger bolt in hopes that it will help in making them a bit more robust.

2 Likes

3rd installment

8 Likes

This mount is quite thick, so I just wanted to check in and ask if anyone has ever had any issues with their motor shaft being too short to properly clear the thickness of this thing and then also attach properly to their pulley.

What’s the rule of thumb on having the pulley overhang the shaft?

1 Like

I had no issues. I have the 5035 125kV motor from the Turnigy kit from HK. I guess they sell the whole package so it’s going to fit out of the box.

2 Likes

The mount is thick, but should leave you with enough room to mount the pulley. Overhang is not a problem, just make sure the grub screws are making solid contact.

Some motors have an extruded c-clip that needs room to spin. I used washers to space the motor from the mount to clear the c-clip.

3 Likes

The hk motor has a longer shaft for this and it also goes into another bearing in the belt cover on the other side of the belt, it’s a neat design and holds up well. I have not seen others like it before…what’s missing is idlers…

3 Likes

The motor shaft of the sk3 motor’s is long enough for a 15mm pulley. The 125kV motor has a really long shaft as you can see on the pic I’m using a pulley for 15mm belts and it sticks out like 5mm.

3 Likes

That last 5mm of shaft fits into this bearing on the belt cover and it shares the motor mounting bolts…

7 Likes

Dangit, I posted my question at lunch and immediately bought a turnigy SK3 6374 192kv motor based on people’s feedback on it from other threads. Only real thread I could find on the Hobby King 5035 skate motor were from Leroy’s thread where some people were knocking on it. After seeing these photos and squishy’s comment, I now regret my decision and wish I had gone with the Hobby King skate motor… OH WELL, fuck it, I’ve already blown enough money on this thing, what’s another 100 bucks a few months down the line if I decide to grab the 5035 :sweat_smile:

1 Like

For what reasons were they knocking it? I have used both, and I can honestly say the skate motor is way better than the sk3…if your making an airplane, sk3 all day long, but these are not airplanes…in fact I have sk3 motors on several airplanes, lol they work great. But no seriously, if people have problems with the skate motor I wanna know about it because I haven’t had any and I want to know what to watch out for too…

Referring to this thread: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/turnigy-d5035-125kv-sensored-brushless-motor/31976/24

1 Like

How long is the shaft on those motors? Since you mounted both mounts the same way it would have to be quite a long one for the belt to get over the thicker part of the mount (clamp part). I was looking to dual mount these but since my motors only have 25mm shaft I either have to replace the shaft or mount one mount upside down (if even possible, still playing) :slight_smile:

Length w/ hubs B w/o shaft (mm):71 Total Length E with shaft (mm) 108.50 so maybe 108.50 - 71 = 37.5mm?

I’ll measure for you when I get home to check, but my guess is 37.5mm based on published specs.

Yeah, math seems correct if specs are :slight_smile: That’s a long one. No wonder @lowGuido made it work like that.

that’s what she said?

3 Likes