Hobby King Motor Mount

My guess is they originally made them for 6mm shaft motors, then realized nobody was using 6mm shafts accept for Toy Store boards. There is no mystery here. You get what you pay for. You don’t get well thought out designs for pennies on the dollar.

Look at it…everyones mounting it upside down because it’s not meant for caliber trucks. If it works well enough for 8 bucks who cares? If you have to enlarge the motor hole or use washers who cares? It was 8 bucks. If it bothers you and you want something well made. There are plenty of venders here on the forum that actually put in the time and money to design better mounts. Buy one of those.

But don’t cheap out and then complain.

4 Likes

Milling a slightly larger centre hole half way through the mount, which is pretty thick I might add, is no problem at all and completely safe. Go hide behind your health & safety papers and let the real people do the innovating and pushing the boundaries! lol

3 Likes

if it works, great! I would try the same. Good luck! (and let me hide :joy:)

That makes sense to me. Also for 8 bucks there’s nothing to loose :wink:

I was just about to order the mounts when they just sold out in all warehouses, I really need a mount asap so if someone has a spare or two please pm me

Damn it. I am in the USA and my order has been on back order for 3 weeks now. Back order in Hong Kong warehouse.

Hobby King mount works great ! Using a 250 mm belt on 36 tooth pulley . Waiting for longer belt so I can use a idler pulley for maximum grip.

4 Likes

Is that a Caliber II truck?

looks like a caliber iii to me

I have Caliber Fifty 10" Truck and same mount and work perfectly

1 Like

Yep it’s a cliber truck @William_Trojel

No room for dual on caliber fifty 10"?

I bought some of these for science, and while I was impressed with the quality I’m a bit disapointed in the design. there are a lot of things that could have been done better… I intend to make a follow up video, but lets say I wouldnt buy them again.

8 Likes

Very good, but does it work with Paris trucks? lol. I think I know the answer :wink:

see anything can be squared off with a file to make it work, but thats not what I dont like about it… its all the holes in the bracket the swiss cheese style has made it difficult to customise. the shaft hole is too small but if you file it out the bracket is too thin… theres a list of things I dont like about it…

Are you using the sk3 motors? I bought the orange 125kV turnigy motor and it fit’s perfect on the mount.

2 Likes

obviously the motor and truck that the mount are designed for are going to work… thats not my point. I’m trying to get it to work with things I already have, and see if it is a viable option for people who want a mount but dont want to use the rest of hobbyking’s shit parts.

2 Likes

Yeah I understand, It’s nice to know the motormount also fits nicely on caliber trucks an not only on the hobbyking shit trucks. But the 125kV motor looks like a very nice build turnigy motor. Tested it once on my other esk8 and it feels very powerfull and actually very silent. If you haven’t yet a motor and are looking for a mount with motor these are just perfect. The motor has sensors, there are no big gaps in the motor like in the Sk3 motors.

1 Like

@lowGuido, for the motor shaft to fit (clearance for the circlip), you need only mill/drill it out half way, or even only a few mm in to the mounts depth. Thus keeping the integrity for half of the mount, which is actually quite thick indeed.

1 Like

I use also the motor mount on my caliber 50° trucks… Its not the best mount but for the price its better than a ebay mount :wink:

2 Likes

Just curious what ESC you have pictured here? I’m intrigued by the power switch connection. Cheers!

1 Like