Glass Frit. An end to crushed coke bottles?

Also https://www.warm-glass.co.uk/

1 Like

Oil based urethanes will cause yellowing. You will want to use water based like LHB said. I use Hellman’s water based spar. There is also general finish that is water based. I have even used polycrylic when I was doing rice paper wash outs.

I am wondering if I should lock in my fine frit even. It feels well sunk into the epoxy…

Any good way to know? My epoxy is quite too thick to stab the board with a brush and hope I don’t raise the level so high I will lose the point of frit. :smiley:

1 Like

If you run your hand over it, it should feel like griptape and shouldn’t be able to brush any off.

I doubt I will be able to brush it off. I didn’t wait enough time for the epoxy to start vulcanizing and dropped the frit. It’s quite sunk in. I guess when it fully solidifies I will try to use a brush on a tail or sth, if I don’t lose any, I am good to go?

Yeah, that looks fine really. With the fine it can do that if you don’t wait a little before dropping the frit.

But that lools fine honestly if the friction amount feels good to you.

I am just in love with medium frit! Really locks you in!

2 Likes

I will see how it feels once everything is solidified. I might try medium frit on a second board, but I think it will need way more locking in. :slight_smile:

1 Like

With medium frit, I drop the frit as soon as the epoxy is down. The sink in is good on medium frit. Locks it in really well

1 Like

I will use this information to presume that if I dropped my fine frit after waiting measly 20 minutes(40-60 minute vulcanization period) it will lock fine as well. :smiley:

1 Like

Why would you wait before dropping it in?

So it doesn’t sink straight through the epoxy. My epoxy is water-runny. :slight_smile:

Well, after allowing the epoxy to harden initially I can say that the result is perfect for my first attempt. :smiley:

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/no-words-just-pictures-delete-words-2/88821/390?u=murloc992

I mean, it does have 2 small spots where I Scrooge McDucked on glass frit (in general it feels like it would cut any patch of skin on my body instantly), but I guess I could just sand that spot and the repeat the previous step? Maybe some other tips regarding “adding what was not added in the first try”? @Sender

2 Likes

I have started to always lightly sand with 120 - 220 grit sandpaper over all the grit and everywhere really.

then thoroughly cleaning, then final clearcoats with spraymax 2k clearcoat.

This removes the super sharp stuff and yields awesome results.

3 Likes

In my case some frit in the middle decided to actually sink below the layer, yet on the outsides it’s fine. So I guess I will see how the grip is after 24 hours have passed… I think I might need to use some nasty low grit sandpaper if I want to recover. But that’s my favorite thing about epoxy I guess. I can sand it and recoat and it will stay as clear as it was. :smiley:

Also I guess that’s why you use medium frit. :stuck_out_tongue:

@murloc992, looks awesome. Where did you get that fabric from? Also how do you have that matte finish? Doesn’t epoxy make the surface super glossy?

1 Like

Fabric is custom printed by a guy who made the deck itself here, locally in Lithuania.

Also, what do you mean by matte? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Lighting can be deceiving. :slight_smile:

The problematic spots can be seen, but I don’t think they will impact anything. If they do, I have sandpaper and I am not afraid to use it. :smiley:

4 Likes

Oh yes, this thing locks you in GOOD. Glass frit IS the future, even fine frit locks you in, how insane would medium be? :open_mouth:

1 Like

Has anyone been able to find clear medium glass frit on amazon? it seems that they dont have it.

Look up bulleye glass.

2 Likes

only found it in 1 pound variant and thats way to much.