Glass Frit. An end to crushed coke bottles?

Should be the same but that is oil base I believe. I always prefer water based as it dries quicker.

@longhairedboy How much does it normally take to do a 40inch deck? I ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000C02AO2?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title Ment to get a quart…

Just realized that’s polycrylic not polyurethane… balls I’ll try https://www.amazon.com/Minwax-63010444-Drying-Polyurethane-Finish/dp/B000VZLF58?crid=2Q7ZHNXQP6AVR&keywords=polyurethane+sealer&qid=1536788677&sprefix=polyurethane+&sr=8-3&ref=mp_s_a_1_3

Great! now I just have to contact customer service say i haven’t received my parcel in months and give them the partial info I could see on the box and wait for them to say we sent it to the address you gave us.

Then buy a ticket to USA and take a million dollar photo of you for TMZ

It won’t take much I have a 1 lbs bag of glass Frit and I have done about 20+ boards and haven’t even used half a bag. I would also use spar urethane it is it a little more durable

1 Like

@briman05 Minwax 630500444 Water Based Helmsman Spar Urethane, quart, Gloss https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001W42A24/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_hDCMBbVFNSCHP ?

That’s exactly what I have used on my boards I do for people. Water based is easier to clear up too. It does dry faster since it is water based so make sure you first coat is a heavy coat.image

4 Likes

Are those with the frit? I at first took it off the table cause I didn’t like the crunchy look but if it can look like that :eyes:

All my boards are will the glass frit. Ancient Irish secrets of how to get it to look that clear.

1 Like

b5efeb29cf16dde8ea71c82599160b2ab0ffd0e3_1_375x500

Yep do several coats of the urethane the sprinkle on the frit then coat over it

1 Like

20180922_135453

@akhlut. Check it out. I still need to sand, paint, and seal the bottom and edges of the deck.

I used epoxy to lock in the glass frit instead of poly, but I will add a light coat of waterbased poly in a rattle can over everything after I finish the bottom and edge. Looking pretty sharp though! Great find/idea @longhairedboy!

12 Likes

is this yours or @mmaner?

1 Like

My deck, but @sender did all the work. That deck was demolished before he got it :grinning:. Incredible work.

3 Likes

everything @briman05 is saying has also been my experience. Even with five total coats you can still get several 40" boards out of a quart can of minwax spar urethane in whatever flavor you choose. Water based spar urethane is the best.

if you happen to be brushing it onto dyed veneer that has only been sanded and not clear coated, i would suggest using a cup to dip your brush and not just dipping it in the can. My red veneer turns my poly a swirly pink color which looks cool as shit but will turn the whole can pink if you don’t pour it into a small cup first.

4 Likes

This is a fantastic thread, I plan to have custom art work on the top of my deck don’t want the crappy look that all the clear grip tapes are giving so this is the answer to my problem.

100% true. What I found works is spraying a light coat of krylon acrylic spray image

lightly sand with 1000+ grit to make it smooth and then coat over top with spar

1 Like

Has anyone actually done this on a hummie deck yet?

2 Likes

Not that I know of, but wouldn’t be any more difficult.

I am just about done with @mmaner 's Red Ember Caldera. 20180924_133041 20180924_141933 20180924_133025 20180924_133034 20180924_133020

9 Likes

With the medium frit, there are some fairly sharp bits here and there that will mellow out with use methinks.

1 Like