German Esk8 Laws

Similar here in California. 15mph/25kmh top speed and can only ride on roads with 35mph posted speed limit. Bikeways and trails okay. Also helmet required.

Well, i germany a normal (non motorized) skateboard / longboard is declared as a toy and may only be used on footways with less than 8kmh speed. Inline skates in contrast may be used on bikeways because they are “Sports equipment”. You will never top german laws in stupidness :joy:

3 Likes

15mph? Well I can gauruntee you that nobody cares about that limit in NorCal :joy:. I go 20 all the time near cops, never been stopped.

2 Likes

Same I go 26mph regularly in SF. According to the bill, by 2021 the CHP will submit a report on the number of accidents involving eboards and I’m guessing it will affect long term laws regarding it. Skate safe!

1 Like

I am quite sure you mean 6 kmh :wink:

1 Like

Is “Schrittgeschwindigkeit” 6?

Edit:

I like the last part.

The police told me 6khm. Electric scooter for old persons is limited to 6 kmh too.

Swiss newspaper article:

In short: a Swiss student got fined in Zurich for riding his Yuneec e-go. Since there is no defined fine in the penalty catalogue for riding an e-skateboard, the case got reported and the student ended up paying around 620 CHF (around 620$). 260 CHF penalty plus 360 CHF administration fees. :frowning:

Looks like we are in the same shitty boat as our northern neighbors (Germany).

Summary: don’t get caught!

1 Like

This really sucks, I live in Zurich and I’m expecting my evolve GT in a few days which i purchased to commute to work daily. My route goes by exactly the place where he got caught. Seriously considering canceling my order or selling it before i even ride it

Oh, hi @constantinos156, I’m also from Zurich and living not too far from the place the student was caught.
I’ve been riding in Zurich a fair bit in the last couple of months. So far no trouble with the friendly people, even though I have been passing them. Hope it stays that way.

1 Like

Has anyone of you German esk8ers built in a circuit to throttle the max. km/h to 6 using a magnetical switch like the mofakids do this since many years?

think thats pointless - either you see police approaching, then you throttle down to pushing speed and push - or you dont and they ride behind you. if you then claim that it can only go 6kph theyll be rightfully pissed and show you whos the boss. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

You´re probably right…

I started my build well knowing that it is forbidden in Germany and gave a sh*t because i was so enthusiastic about it. Having finished the project for about 95% the pussy in me slowly comes back reminding me of the consequences of getting busted. :smiley:

1 Like

well, dont close your eyes while riding. i have been using eboards for my daily commute (16-20km) for over 2 years now, always looking out for police cars when there is a chance for them being around, I also regularly turn around and look back for the evil “police car follows” situation.

Im not riding with paranoia, but Im observant, have met police more than 10 times now and always spotted them first, always coasted and gave it a few alibi pushes, thats it.

3 Likes

Your words kinda calm me down. Being a security fanatic, observing my environment will not be a huge problem for me :slight_smile: I´m glad that i bought the micro remote which disappears almost completely in my hands.

I for sure will be looking odd with my blue tsg pass full face helmet pushing my board :smiley:

I don’t really commute though, just ride for fun, so I try to stay away from roads as good as I can.

1 Like

I think if anything, it would be smart to buy a controller than has an on/off switch for the second channel, and have that second channel limit the speed. That way if the cop asks to test it you can have that switch limit the speed to 6 km/h and nobody will know :laughing:

Heyho! Is there anyone living in or near Berlin that wants to do rideouts in the future? It is awesome wheather here at the moment, I just cannot ride today because of an injury. Id love to do a meetup!

@Tarzan Any updates concerning your case? I really hope that your lawyer does a good job and gets you off with a black eye. Do you have a legal costs insurance which is paying your lawyer´s fees?

Yes I have an insurance for that. Make sure it covers traffic cases. To now the prosecutor determined just in case of driving without insurance. Bad enough, because the fine can be massive. Good for me that I haven’t done anything traffic related crap my whole live. Would be much worse in that case. My lawyer try’s to make a deal with the prosecutor, but it will be expensive for sure. Worst is that I will never have the freedom of riding again. The German laws suck so bad and don’t expect anything to change within the next years. The government is so ridiculous by planning 1.000.000 electric cars in 2020 in Germany that they don’t care for a much more affordable solution. The advice “don’t get caught” is golden.

2 Likes