German Esk8 Laws

Yes I agree! I mentioned Evolve because they should be in a better position. I’m not sure if I invest money and a lot of time to get anything moved in the right direction. I think it is a fight where you can’t win. E-Skateboards are illegal in Germany, that’s it and nothing will change in the next future. I’ll keep you boys in the loop.

Hmm city?! Its not countryside but a small town. I expected them to be cool with it here, but it looks that these lazy dudes need some more work because of a lack of criminals.

Oh man that is a downer. I hopeit is not going to be too expensive. Any idea if you will ride again? I am always scared that when you repeat an offence like that the fine will be much higher.

I’m not sure for now. What I know is that I love electric skateboards too much to stop it. I’m building a Trampa now to avoid the streets, but if you ask me the only real skateboarding is on tarmac :confused: To be honest I don’t care about the fine because its only money. Not that I have too much but loosing my drivers license would hurt much more. I’ve spoken with my lawyer that I like to continue riding these beasts, so main goal is to keep my shirt white.

very interested in the outcome of the lawsuit, please keep us updated!

are these the accusations?

• riding a motorbike without drivers license
  • riding a motorbike without registration
  • riding a motorbike without insurance

and what happened to your board? did they confiscate it for further investigations?

Expect for the phrase “motorbike.” The cops had no idea about the wheel width thing what makes it a motorbike. Even I knew it I haven’t mentioned it. Maybe it will help me in future who knows!?

After I started arguing they said: “We can confiscate your vehicle.” At this point I realized that they will not take it and I shut my mouth. They only took pictures. I said to my lawyer that I can easily limit the board to six Kph in case I have to show it at the police. He said that it wouldn’t help because the cops have seen me riding much faster.

EDIT: I got a drivers license so the third is something else. All papers are at my lawyers so right know I can’t check whats up.

Wow… This whole thing sounds rediculous. How could they try to take your board away when whole companies like mellow are fine?? I think I’ll probably shoot an email to mellow and ask… They seem to be pretty open about what they do. And I hope that you win in your case, riding an esk8 should be a right.

EDIT: email has been sent

3 Likes

you are always free to use these kind of boards on private property :smile:

I got a quick reply from Mellow!! Here’s the email as written:

Hi Ben,

thanks for your mail and raising the concern! It´s actually not off topic at all, we are really concerned about this and we are closely looking what politics is up to. First thinks first, the mellow drive is going to be sold as a sporting good like the other brands as well. This way we don´t need to fulfill StVo restrictions. Also we need to tell everyone (like any other brand) the product is for private property use only.

In general the whole topic is located in an grey area. Parts of America such as California legalized electric skateboarding by the beginning of this year, Denmark and a couple other in Europe will follow. Already 8 major capitals in Europe planing on banning cars from the city centre as well as in the long future banning them from the whole city. Politics will be forced to face up with new mobility solutions such as electric skateboards, who will be a perfect first- and last-mile solution. We are already sitting in a committee of the TÜV to help finding classification standards for electric skateboards, which means we take this topic very seriously and do our best to help finding the best solution.

Until then it really depends on the area and city your are living in, Berlin compared to Munich e.g. is way more open to this type of mobility and facing a punishment is less likely. We hope the more people ride electric skateboards the faster we will have political decisions, Media Markt as on of the biggest german electrical appliance wholesalers is already selling the yuneec E-Go and therefore is not afraid of potential fine´s. Thats why we are less concerned and we are seeing companies like Evolve, Yuneec, Inboard etc. not as competitors but more like likeminded brands who will change the future of e-mobility.

Only concern though are the cheap copies from China (not saying there can´t be quality products from there) we are seeing right now. We are afraid of new consequences as we have seen with hoverboards.

Long story short, the police can fine you if they want, but actually there is neither a law against it nor allows it. So let´s hope the more they see the more they will get used to ;).

Let me know if you got any more questions and feel free to add me on Skype to talk about it!

Stay mellow!

Tony

6 Likes

Is there anything that anyone wants me to put in the response?

We are rooting for them!

Sorry to hear you got pinched … Seriously, there are other things they need to be worrying abt …

:fist:t2: fight the power

EDIT:

And not directed at all the Police but in your case …

https://youtu.be/HWxAnjNVBt8

3 Likes

That’s false if you are riding on the street! Riding without insurance, without ABE and without license plate.

There are strict laws against e-skateboarding and the worst is that there is no difference riding a skateboard or driving a tank in the city. Same trouble :smiley:

@Michaelinvegas :slight_smile: Yes some cops really are jerks!

My economy professor used to tell me: ‘‘You can do everything, except to get caught.’’ Now that shouldn’t be too much of a problem on a esk8:)

Same think in New York when I was growing up…We use to say …Everything is legal…as long as you don’t get caught :wink:

1 Like

Has anyone got experience on this matter in Switzerland?

I’m waiting for my evolve GT and this conversation got me a bit unsettled,

It’s the same all over the world: Don’t get cought!

Here in Finland it is legal to use e-longboard if its max speed is 25km/h and the maximum power output is 1kW (like they really gonna test it)

2 Likes

You just got to love sweden

1 Like

Serious! For many things. Just look at all the subsidies (if thats the right word, i just google translated it) towards electric vehicles

1 Like