Folding Electric Long Board Build

I didn’t realize I’d get extra credit for being logged in. Wish I signed up a long time ago.

1 Like

I bought a Riptide for $399 and cut down an Atom board with BoardUp hinge. Lots of work lining. BoardUp does an electric version of theirs. But I like my config better. Mine fits in a Kelty image

7 Likes

Is it heavy to carry around? Their door hinge is way better than my doggy home door hinge lol

For such ‘mount-on-top’ of deck surface, I wonder a some ‘insert’ lock would be better, sturdier and smaller resolution

I have been wondering over a concept board in my head for a while now, where I’d try to make use of that kind of ‘insert’ lock type of a system. So far in my head everything works great, AFAI can tell

The pictures and ideas there are definitely Not the current/ final solution

Hey man. Sorry for the delay. My biggest issue was the battery because of its size. I am using a 10s3p which wouldn’t fit under the front half of the stock board up deck. If you went with a smaller battery, maybe 10s2p, I would think it should be ok.

Single out runner motir is fine too, that’s what I have, but I would also just make sure you’ll be able to fit the truck, motor and esc enclosure on the rear portion of the deck.

I made enclosures out of tin (air conditioning ducts). Easy to bend and shape. DON’T DO THIS! It worked great for a year, but eventually the shrink wrap on the battery wore down and the battery terminals made contact with the tin enclosure. Shorted out. Lots of sparks and smoke. Ruined a few cells. Had to have it repaired. All fixed now, but still haven’t made a new enclosure. Plan on 3D printing it once I can figure out how to use Fusion 360 lol. Fiberglass/carbon fiber would be a good alternative as well. Might be able to use some generic enclosures like so many of the ones on the Chinese made boards. Just depends on demensions of your electronics.

1 Like

Hey thanks for the tips. I went with a 10s2p because of size and ordered a generic enclosure from Wowgo. Still waiting for a few of the parts. Hope everything can fit.

Super curious to see how it turns out! Keep us posted.

Thats exactly what I am planning on doing! Also wowgo parts (that i already have). Are you planning on using the original boardup deck? Do you think that will fit? I am really eager to see if your build will work!

I’m using the original deck because it fits into a backpack just right. I’m only using wowgo 10s2p battery with enclosure, which seems to fit fine for the front half of the board. I’m doing a single belt driven board because I don’t want the trucks any longer.

I am having trouble fitting my esc enclosure and motor mount all on the back half of my board. My current plan is to use a shorter motor mount, make my own esc enclosure, and shift the rear trucks further back. The wheels would bump into each other upon folding but I wouldn’t be able to fold fully not matter what anyway.

I have an arcboard which has an incredibly compact drive train. I could use that, but I’d rather find a new one so I can still use my arcboard as is. Any thoughts?

I am planning on just deck-swappping the wowgo mini that I currently have, which comes with hub motors (so I wouldn’t have the drive train issue, but only buying those standard Chinese hub-motors isn’t that expensive). But I think building a custom esc case will work well! Do you maybe have some pictures of your current build? Do the battery and esc enclosure touch when you fold the board right now?

Still waiting for my new mount to put my build together. I’ll be doing belt drive so that I can use my own trucks.

Someone already did a meepo deck swap so your deck swap should be no problem.

Oh alright of course, those trucks kinda suck indeed. Maybe put them upwards like a bamboo gtx? Thanks for the link! That is exactly what I need :slight_smile:

@VerticalMedia I’m currently working on the same build right now.

BKB dual 6354 motors

BKB motor mounts

Caliber 2 trucks

Focbox unity w/ this enclosure https://www.polycase.com/lp-61f

Avio Mini Remote Mod

Abec 83 clones default but trying to fit abec 97mm

DIY 10s4p 30Q, if not 10s3p

Also, was your battery enclosure DIY? If not, where did you get your battery enclosure? Do you think I might need to add some risers to add some clearance for the enclosures as well?

@VerticalMedia @psymon @Clintroberts

Instead of lowering the front or back trucks, do think if you were to use bike brake cables to extend the unlocking latch it would give more clearance? If so, then it would be possible to cut the deck lower a bit lower for the hinge and making more room for the battery.

https://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-SW76193-4-Brake-Derailleur-Repair/dp/B00L8NDVD6/ref=pd_sbs_468_1/136-2883480-1625256?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00L8NDVD6&pd_rd_r=46fb8889-665a-11e9-867c-c5b0dbebe95a&pd_rd_w=o6q8Q&pd_rd_wg=EeOhe&pf_rd_p=763ccc93-bfa2-47be-85ae-0cdd7e00b3da&pf_rd_r=0YN0N0ZN892TSME92200&psc=1&refRID=0YN0N0ZN892TSME92200

The BoardUp comes with extra cable so I guess you could just join them up and you’re good. But my suggestion is Forget the unlatching mechanism…just cut it off and loop it to finger size. It’s not going work the way the original BoardUp did anyway if you change the length of the board or the weight of it.

What’d you use for the black pads where the two halves meet when the board is unfolded?

Black foam one sided sticky pads off eBay for like $4. More cosmetic than functional though. Placement of the hinge is a very difficult task to figure out based on closing it, wheel line up and straightness of the tracking of wheels. Took me two times.

First thought it was neoprene foam strips, but it’s rubber. Somewhat similar to this, not sure of the actual thickness on the board. I check in a bit.

I have a BoardUp too and would have sworn it was closed cell neoprene too. But this stuff looks interesting.

1 Like

Just cut the originals off and use those. I did that twice.

1 Like