FOCBOX UNITY | Support, Setup & Troubleshooting

Updated the app but According to the change log, no bug fixes? Issue is still there then @Deodand?

Report Back :

Still alive. First full test after new firmware and so far so good. 10s5p on dual belt 6374 / 107mm. I have to say that this is the first time I’ve ever ridden my main board in FOC having opted for kick-push-to-go BLDC when I had Focboxs CAN inside. Forgive my enthusiasm here, since most of you run FOC anyways, but OMG what a difference. Standing starts, silent running, butter smooth throttle and decent brakes. OK I took it easy and didn’t push any limits (on a busy industrial estate during the day) but this thing just handled amzingly. It was like a 100% new board, and if it didn’t look the same on the outside then I would swear it wasn’t my build :slight_smile:

I tried to replicate the stutters I’d had previously, doing the same low speed throttle then coast then throttle routine and as far as I can tell it’s gone away now. Need more miles to confirm of course, but given it was doing it all the time before, and isn’t now, things are looking good.

Still in a slight state of shock at how good my board is now - and I thought it was pretty amazing before - so I’m off for a lie down in my office…

10 Likes

Still 23.43 here in EU region, last update April 14.

1 Like

I am in Belgium and got the 23.44. check on Google Play

2 Likes

23.44 but changes mentioned on google store do not mention bug fixes…

1 Like

Just updated! Maybe there was just a slight delay in the Swiss playstore.

Going to test this tonight as Jeff thinks thats the reason for my cutouts from standstill.

Added an advanced motor settings window for tuning pwm freq, sensorless erpm transition for boards with hall sensors

1 Like

I agree that they should state ‘bug fixes’ but I suspect in doing so they would then incriminate themselves and accept that the unit was ‘faulty’ in the first place. I’m no legal expert, it’s just a hunch, but I reckon they would argue they are ‘improving’ things rather than fixing them.

Either way, my unity works better after the update. For the moment, at least, I’m happy with the update.

They would add fuel to a lawsuit that could come up if hurt people unite(haha, unity). :smiley:

5 Likes

Euh, deo already posted they found an issue, so that’s too late…

Is the switchover a hard switchover? Or does it run the observer for a bit and waits until the sensored and sensorless speed estimators agree on a value before making the switch? If not, does the switchover have hysteresis?

1 Like

@Gerrycorrado Look at the firmware changelog not the app changelog.

@Gamer43 it’s coded by vedder, the estimator is always running and then whenever the rpms cross the threshold (plus some added hyst) the halls are used to add a correction to the estimation.

Look at line 2844 of this file if you wanna see implementation of hall correction, it’s pretty fun:

5 Likes

So i just did the new firmware update but now it look like it don’t detect sensor from one motor … it was fine before the update :frowning: !! And both motor seem to roll perfectly fine like if they were sensored…i did re install the unity app and reflash the new firmware but nothing’s change …is it possible that the update make this ? @Deodand image

@Deodand can you still pretty please let me know with what setup you have tested? Thx

Bajaboards do it with straps, seems to work

1 Like

Looks ok, they even have a quasi rider weight simulation built in using those tie-downs, all very rudimentary for checks. A better one in the factory he says.

The point being is you can test a wide range of load/power on a bench which is essential when QA’ing controller software. You can’t just go for a ride and expect what you experience to cover all use cases. Multiple test mules with differing hardware which can be dropped onto a jig is the way to go, probably even just a truck mule with the exception of a 4wd or two

2 Likes

My TBDD sensors are fine after the update but I couln’t test… raining again. Worst May ever…

One of my sensor wasn’t connect properly… thanks anyway man

1 Like

So, can we get some test results from real people then?

• Yes, tested and all ok
  • Yes, tested. Still an issue (please comment)
  • No, haven’t tested yet

0 voters

Thx

1 Like

I think this is a great idea but belongs in a separate thread as the top post so it doesn’t get buried. I can make one if you like or you can. Make sure FW version tested is in the title if you make it.

I think this is just for the newest firmware. We would have a literal ton of threads every update. :slight_smile: Let it be here I guess and bookmark it?