FOCBOX UNITY | Support, Setup & Troubleshooting

I have an issue with the JST 2 pin on the bottom right of the Unity, I connected it to my battery indicator and it does not seem to turn on when everything else is.

Did you wire it correctly? The jst cable that I have puts the black cable on the voltage pin (according to the diagram that came in the unity’s box)… I though it was weird

Okay my mistake, i had the wires swapped, swapped it back and it works now! Thanks!

So are us iPhone people just waiting for an app to operate/view the unity through? It would be really sweet right now to be able to view my battery voltage!

3 Likes

Has anyone successfully got the unity working with a firefly remote? I believe PPM is working fine for me but I understand there is a change in the UART protocol, and maybe that is what is preventing getting good telemetry data. Does that mean I should make a change to the receiver code somewhere?

Mine works for controlling the board (really well I might add) but I’m not getting telemetry. Pretty sure the baud rates match (11520).

I also tried switching rx and tx wires on the receiver. I either get nothing, or garbage data. I have 5V, GND and PPM plugged into the servo port then just the rx and tx wires wired on a jst plug which is plugged into the comm port of the unity.

3 Likes

Line 166 here is the order of the new values output:

I meant to make a new packet with dual motor data and leave the legacy packet there but I kind of forgot to finish that before launch. If you peak at line 1077 you can see I have the new packet created I just never reverted the old packet structure.

1 Like

If I understand correctly, this breaks all 3rd party stuff that attaches to UART?

The natural followup question: can you revert to legacy packet, and push out a new build?

Honestly, the get_values packet has changed quite a few times if I’m not mistaken. I think a lot of stuff already has support for multiple get_values formats so it’s a matter of adding unity support.

I could make that change but I’m not sure on it. I don’t want someone feeling like the values part works with a legacy tool then writing config values from a non-compatible app and bugging their setup. Some of the vesc uart stuff isn’t terribly reliable.

But yeah if enough people want it I’ll change it.

3 Likes

Firefly remote users salute you o7

1 Like

I think I found a bug in the FOCBOX Tool @Deodand

After doing the Motor Setup Wizard for the first time and selecting Hall sensors from the dropdown it says in the FOC tab that Sensormode 1 = Hall Sensor and Sensor Mode 2 = Sensorless.

So I think it only sets Hall sensors for one motor in the wizard. I replicated it 2 times and just went on to do the motor detection in the FOC tab.

Great work by the way!

EDIT: Oh maybe it’s just me:

It says Bad Foc Hall detection result received in the Hall Sensors tab

1 Like

Ah yeah thanks that makes sense I’ll get it fixed next update.

1 Like

Anyone having issues connecting over Bluetooth? I’m on PC, the UI connects fine over USB. My laptop connects to the Unity Bluetooth, but the UI just keeps saying scanning. Is there a step I’m missing?

I can provide more details as and when required.

It says “Bad Foc Hall detection result received” in both the Motor Setup Wizard and the Hall sensors tab under FOC.

I have the older Silver R-spec motors, do you see any values that are off?

The motors spin just fine when using my remote at slow speeds without any load on them. As if they are just working good.

yeah sorry the pc app/tool bluetooth didnt work reliably enough for me to include in this release.

1 Like

Yeah ignore that error message, another bug. Your detection completed successfully.

3 Likes

Not quite sure who could update this but the telemetry on my Photon remote doesn’t work in combination with the Unity. I’ll post in the Photon topic if this is the wrong place image

10 char char

1 Like

10 character

3 Likes

so much help everywhere, I love you guys

2 Likes

All good, at least I know it’s not user error!