FOCBOX UNITY | Official

Good news! I think I have version 1.0 of the app and tool nearly ready. There’s definitely some bugs in there, was up till 3am last night finding and squashing as many as I could. Just gotta get all the code into a repo so I can release the binaries. Hopefully by the end of today I’ll have some download links for:

FOCBOX_UI_1.0.apk FOCBOX_UI_1.0.exe FOCBOX_TOOL_1.0.exe

I’ll see if I can get a static linux build done as well. The sources will be live as well so hopefully someone from this lovely community can produce a build for mac. IOS would have to be side-loaded which is a painful business.

8 Likes

Here’s a feelgood post now that I see light at the end of the tunnel :smile: :

We are insanely excited for you guys to receive your Unities! Sincere thank you to everyone who pre-ordered and put your faith in us. We’ve been pushing ourselves pretty hard the past couple months to make sure we live up to the hype. Between circuit design, firmware dev, app dev, bluetooth board design, bluetooth firmware dev, manufacturing QC processes etc. all the pieces are finally coming together! Charles and I flew halfway around the planet to make this thing a reality, it is a crazy globalized world we live in. This will be the first thing I have designed that will be used by hundreds (soon to be thousands) of people. :exploding_head:

We’d also like to thank everyone here on the forums, the product wouldn’t be what it is without all the acumulated information and creativity of everyone here. I personally spent many hours pouring over broken ESC threads gathering information on different failure modes we could prevent, and ideas for common features that were missing. That isn’t even mentioning all the direct feedback and guidance you guys have given us since we announced the product, even if sometimes we are too stubborn to listen :wink:.

Every component isn’t perfect (yet) but with your help we can always keep improving. Don’t hesitate to hop on the forum with your issues, I am going to spend this christmas unwrapping and solving bug-reports I think. I believe the unity will be a huge stride forward for reliability, performance and ease of use compared to existing state-of-the-art. My dream is for it to decrease the learning curve on DIY builds and enable more creative folks form different backgrounds to enter the DIY eskate scene. Can’t wait to see what you all build!

44 Likes

Yea, dude. I really appreciate the work you and Enertion put into this. It really shows that you guys put your heart and soul into this. I haven’t received my yet, of course but I’m super hyped. I am currently working on my first build and one of my biggest worries was figuring out the complexity and daunting learning curve that is the vescs. I know I would have eventually learned it and figured it out because I am stubborn. But I know my first build will be so much easier because of this and I won’t have safety concerns, at least pertaining to the motor controller.

4 Likes

Jeff you’re a classy dude and Unities will enter my builds almost entirely on the back of your participation here and my belief in your abilities and furthermore your passion for supporting this product.

Stick around a while and you’re going to be very good for Enertion and esk8 in general!

Obligatory Jason is a dickhead, also cheers for ruining my chest forever.

11 Likes

@b264

unityspec

8 Likes

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OGC.0792c251001a367fb920b0523222744c&pid=Api&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FY3cpMy1Z113q%2Fgiphy.gif&ehk=T4Zn0%2Fb1c%2BxPcXZ9uDAHqw

10 Likes

Hi Jeff,

Thanks so much for your efforts on our behalf.

I am a Silicon Valley CTO and software engineer, and have written many consumer and enterprise apps.

I am wondering, why would the iOS version have to be side-loaded? Why not the app store?

Bill

1 Like

App Store doesn’t allow GPL.

So I think they’re going to distribute the source and let those who can – compile it on their own.

3 Likes

Apple doesn’t allow free software, only things that Apple owns and controls. Bow to your master, plebs! Apple way or highway!

apple-death-star1

6 Likes

And Google owns you and your data!

5 Likes

I’m jailbroken so that won’t be an issue haha :grin:

buy apple trash, play apple games

1 Like

But you can get Android without the Gapps malware tho :thinking:

1 Like

I agree the OS is pretty trashy in terms of being closed down and it’s 2018 still does not have a fucking file system (like macOS, despite iOS is Unix-based). But iphones still outlast android phones though. The processor beats Snapdragon by a large margin.

Doesn’t matter if it’s someone else’s stuff and not yours

1 Like

What do you mean by that?

same…friday! im squealing like a school girl who got free tix to JT! =P hahahaha

I’m in focbox HEAVEN :grin:…mines came in the mail today :call_me_hand:t5: image

19 Likes

Screenshot_20181210-153006_Photos

10 Likes

Usually the copyright holder can be identified, and an alternative license purchased.

Most companies that release software under GPL have an alternative license, proprietary with support, etc.

There is lots of software like this on the App Store, for example Firefox, etc.