FLIPSKY 4.20, A Explanation to the mystery, and how to stop the cutouts entirely!

I have been a long time lurker and finally created an account. If it wasn’t for you guys my scooter would never be functional so thanks! I need to upgrade from my current 6s setup and since I’m a poor guy this ESC looks really nice. If they changed the resistors I’ll let you know. Just ordered a 4.20 mini.

1 Like

check out the cheap Focer from @shaman

1 Like

Awesome initiative! If it was for sale, I’d snatch one in an instant.

2 Likes

I didn’t say I was going to do it haha.I just said that someone has to do it because then it will open up more stable options.

1 Like

Thank you for confirming that you are going to be the guinea pig, @briman05. We all appreciate you raising your hand for science and for promising a review of your new 4.20.

Excited!

3 Likes

@briman05. A class act! Cant wait for your review

1 Like

@Bobby

4 Likes

2 Likes

(I’ll stop fucking up the thread now. Apologies.)

2 Likes

Can someone confirm that if I order a new 4.20 dual it will come with the above fixes in place? One side of my Flipsky Dual 6.6 died on me (fried STM chip I believe) so looking for a replacement while I get it fixed. I’ll be running 12s FOC with 20 battery amps, so not pushing it too hard.

2 Likes

yah it should be

2 Likes

Sorry to tag you and ask you, but do we have any hope of support from Flipsky/@BarbaraZ for those of us who bought a pre fix 4.20?

to be honest I doubt it… I have no idea though. Me and @Gamer43 are looking for ways to have them swapped, but sending them to china to have them replaced. Y I have a hard time seeing that happening. I think either replacing them yourself or going to someone repairing pcbs or has the knowledge/equipment is the way to go in the end.

3 Likes

Okay, so flipsky told us that they implemented the change at the end of March (March 27), and this applies to the mini and dual (non-plus versions, so ones that DO NOT integrate the antispark switch).

They are currently redesigning the plus version, which is why it has been out of stock.

ALSO, please let us know if you have ANY issues with heat, even at lower currents, or possibly over-current faults, as what @nickw1881 mentioned before with the dead-time insertion, could potentially be a problem on certain batches of MOSFETs that may have higher gate charge than normal. The risk is a potential for shoot-through. If this does become an issue, the fix is simple, change one line (the dead time insertion #define) in the VESC firmware and recompile it and upload it. I will post binaries for that if that is necessary.

12 Likes

“Awesome” refers to people like you. I’ll treat you a drink if we ever meet :beers:

4 Likes

I will be ordering the new 4.20 dual soon and testing it in 12s FOC with 20 battery amps and 65 motor amps. If I like it enough, I’ll be keeping it instead of my Dual Flipsky 6.6.

So you get a reward or only in heaven? :laughing:

1 Like

Looks like the new 4.20 with pro switch just got released.

@Gamer43, any idea if these are good to go?

Flipsky told us they changed the resistors on the 4.20 plus and that is uses two NTMFS5C628NL MOSFETs in parallel for each channel (so the resistors are 22 ohm); they told us they would send us a sample for testing, we will get back to you guys on its performance once they send us one for testing.

Since it uses two MOSFETs in parallel it should in theory be able to handle 40% more current.

9 Likes

Omg thanks a lot. I put a lot of hope to this 4.20 due to its form factor. But the cutouts are so irritating. Thanks for this finding. Now I can enjoy riding my board again!

3 Likes