FlexiBMS Lite - New approach to get past Vaporware stage

I’ll throw it up on github at some point soonish. Need to clean up the commented code lines and comments.

All these improvements are awesome ! Congrats @SimosMCmuffin !

We should definitely work on a PR for integrating a standard BMS communication into VESC FW for a better interaction between both. :slight_smile:

Has there been development for a generic/standard BMS CAN communication for VESC with DieBieMS’s or has it just been DieBie’s side implementation?

No, at least I’m not aware of this. That was my top priority when I jumped into the DieBieMS adventure but I couldn’t find details to successfully compile the code (I tried tho but I bricked my DBMS, rescued by a ST-Link :neutral_face: ).

If you’re interested, I can work on a draft of features that may be interesting to develop for such VESC-BMS wedding. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe just a more general look at what possible messages could be used in a generalized BMS CAN communication. Then maybe add to that more VESC specific messages.

Here’s little sneak-peek picture of the FlexiBMS HV:

6 Likes

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. :+1:

2 Likes

That would actually be pretty ace thing to do. What are you planning on using to draft the standard?

I’m looking into an idea I had about it being possible to turn the opto-isolated INPUT into an opto-isolated OUTPUT. Will need to flip the opto-IC around and changing some resistors, but would be doable and don’t need to do anything if you don’t want to change it, so it’s just a configuration possibility.

Below is the change from the current implementation to the one I’m proposing that would allow you to turn from an INPUT to an OUTPUT. I’ll see how tight the board space will be for the additional resistors.

EDIT: Donzo

as always, this is looking really good. i like the idea of using JST XA’s and PA’s instead of XH and PH

1 Like

I have been thinking about different variations of the FlexiBMS that I’m wanting to make. Currently the closest thing to getting ready-to-ship is the Lite-version and I suppose HV is currently following somewhere behind (no boards made or tested yet).

Along those two I’ve been tossing around the idea of FlexiBMS Pro in my head, which would be based on the Lite, but offer discharge path control alongside better specs in comparison to the Lite, more beefy capability. Maybe up-to 15S or even 18S support… Nothing concrete done yet, but rather been just looking around at ICs and possible implementations.

I’ve also been thinking of a more cost-effective simpler design, which should price wise sit somewhere below half the price (component wise) compared to the FlexiBMS Lite. Essentially a more cost-effective option for just charging and not needing CAN for example or other “flairs”. Stripping out anything else in relation to just pure charge control. The problem naming wise is that the battery stack IC that I’m planning to use doesn’t support such a large range of S-configurations for the pack, so in that regard I don’t think the name FlexiBMS would suit it… There would be 2 or 3 versions of this BMS for different S-configurations and I’m open to hearing any name ideas for a more economic line of BMS’.

3 Likes

Well. I’m not a HW or SW engineer so if there is a regular way to do it, please tell me. I was planning a basic Word spec document that would be a good base (which is more what I do daily as now as process control engineer).

What are your thoughts about this ?

Sounds good to me. It doesn’t need to be formal as long as it makes sense. I guess this could be as simple as describing the essential parts of the DieBieMS communication protocol.

DieBieMS doesn’t really interact with the VESC. It shares the same protocol as VESC but that’s all AFAIK.

Alright, let me a week to write something up.

Maybe up-to 15S or even 18S support… This will open to used it also in a Onewheel and euc’s wich is awesome, and there are a lot in the wild

Here’s a link to the FlexiBMS Lite 0.4/RC1 Tester Application:

https://forms.gle/TpVjBbVNobmsMhqp7

Submitted forms can be edited later. Although not sure how it functions, if you’re not logged into a google account.

4 Likes

god, i was filling in the form when i realised, as much as i want one of these, i probably wouldnt be able to give you the feedback that would be needed. :frowning: Cant wait to see how this goes though

You can fill the application without expertises marked or say so in the extra info section, so you’re just an interested person.

2 Likes

Will there also be a roll to start version of this bms with auto off?

This next to cell monitoring is what I’d like to have.

2 Likes

The Lite-version will not have push-to-start, as it doesn’t have discharge path control, but the Pro-version will have it. Once we get some tester feedback, experience and development done on the Lite, AKA get ready to sell, then the development on the Pro version will start.

3 Likes

Finished the first manual version of the multi S-configurable pack tester board. 4 cells in series in one board, can chain them together, sense wires coming from all cells, can select what cell is the positive terminal cell and can disconnect sense wires per cell basis.

This is gonna make testing different cell configurations so much easier.

Gonna use these spring steel battery clips that I’ve been using for my portable devices. Below is a 1S4P pack.

I’m planning on ordering the 0.4/RC1 boards on this wednesday, think I’m gonna go for 20 pieces.

7 Likes